Waitlist Email

What is the latest firmware? I see that mine came w/ Firmware 3.0 out of the box.

I joined the waitlist on 1/25/22. I got the email on 12/9/22. I ordered on Feb 14 and just got it today and was finally able to open it.

What is the latest firmware? I see that mine came w/ Firmware 3.0 out of the box.

I joined the waitlist on 1/25/22. I got the email on 12/9/22. I ordered on Feb 14 and just got it today and was finally able to open it.
Latest is 4.0, and there is a 4.01 beta out, if you’re into that sort of thing. You can always get the current firmware on the FAS site. You can also check on the pinned threads on the FM9 Discussion forum, where Admin M@ always has the current version posted, with a link. Betas are also posted there.

It’s a good practice opportunity to be ready for those great future updates!

Latest is 4.0, and there is a 4.01 beta out, if you’re into that sort of thing. You can always get the current firmware on the FAS site. You can also check on the pinned threads on the FM9 Discussion forum, where Admin M@ always has the current version posted, with a link. Betas are also posted there.

It’s a good practice opportunity to be ready for those great future updates!
To add to this, ALWAYS do a backup of at least your presets before updating firmware.

I’m thinking about placing an order next week. Not sure whether to go FM3 or AxeFx. I’ve read the wiki and searched forums. I see the feature differences but don’t know what that means in actual use. I guess I could go with the AxeFx and see if those features matter to me or not. They both seem exceptionally portable to me compared to amp heads and cabinets.

Can anybody point me to some exceptional tone examples online? Pete Thorn has some nice tones in his FM3 demo. Plexi tones are my thing.

Thanks!

I’m thinking about placing an order next week. Not sure whether to go FM3 or AxeFx. I’ve read the wiki and searched forums. I see the feature differences but don’t know what that means in actual use. I guess I could go with the AxeFx and see if those features matter to me or not. They both seem exceptionally portable to me compared to amp heads and cabinets.

Can anybody point me to some exceptional tone examples online? Pete Thorn has some nice tones in his FM3 demo. Plexi tones are my thing.

Thanks!

Tony Emery has a YouTube video called “The Ultimate Marshall Preset” that I found very much to my liking.

Thanks!
The nice thing is they all sound great and have their place. Biggest limitations of the FM3 is routing flexibility, only one Amp block (if you like dual amp setups), and CPU limit. I had to get really creative in presets with ambient sounds on the FM3. The FM9 hit the sweet spot with me leaving me feeling that I have no compromises and still have the portability.

Holding a switch to change pages for reaching additional scenes required too much cognitive load while playing so I quickly added a FC6 which put me in the price range and size/weight of an FM9. I still have the FM3 as a backup device. I still want an AxeFX in the future.

I know I haven’t provided the videos you are looking for but hope my experience can help you make an informed decision. They have been whittling down the FM9 waitlist pretty well recently. If they can keep it up you won’t be waiting too long.

Thanks!
You're asking about the FM3 or the FX3 in the FM9 forum's Wait List thread, so I'm going to assume you actually meant the FM9.

For most people, the FM9 is a great choice. If you are a touring professional who has racks for equipment, the FX3+FC12 puts the FX3 out of harm's way. If you're moving your own gear and need to travel light, then the FM9 is a convenient size.

As for CPU power, yes, the FX3 has roughly 2x what the FM9 has, but that isn't the whole story because the FM9 uses its processors differently, so sometimes there's very little difference in the CPU utilization between the two for the same preset.

I have my FM9 mounted on a Temple Audio Duo 24, with their modules on either end so wear and tear on the unit's connectors is avoided. I used short XLR and flat TRS plugs on the FM9 end of all the cables.

img_2227-jpeg.113637

Studio Slips makes two bags that I use:
  • a bag dedicated to the FM9.
  • a bag for the Duo 24. I had them modify it with additional height to fit the combined Duo and FM9. (It also fits the FM3+FC6 on the Duo 24.) The unit and both Dunlop (X) Mini pedals fit inside the bag; The pedals are nestled with their tops in the space next to the flat plugs, and the cables fit in the pocket.
That should sufficiently muddy the water for you. :)

Damn I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry. Thanks for the info though, and yeah now maybe I should think about the FM9.

Damn I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry. Thanks for the info though, and yeah now maybe I should think about the FM9.
There's a big difference between the FM3 and FX3 in their capabilities and portability. They definitely both have their place in the lineup. The FM9 is a very happy middle ground and works great.

The FM3+FC6 fits the Duo 24 and takes up close to the same amount of room on the board. There are threads in the FM3 forum discussing ways to mount it.

Got my invitation on Friday, 2/17 and didn't get around to ordering until today. Super busy on Friday and second guessing myself on Saturday. Isn't this really overkill (I play bass mostly). Sunday, sure it's overkill but you'll look good running an SVT patch. Heh. Ordered.

EDIT: I was on the list around 12/1/2022. Not sure of exact timing.

Got my invitation on Friday, 2/17 and didn't get around to ordering until today. Super busy on Friday and second guessing myself on Saturday. Isn't this really overkill (I play bass mostly). Sunday, sure it's overkill but you'll look good running an SVT patch. Heh. Ordered.

EDIT: I was on the list around 12/1/2022. Not sure of exact timing.
It also has an Ampeg Portaflex that might be good (maybe I’ll finally sell my REDDI). I’m looking forward to trying out the possibilities with bass guitar.

It also has an Ampeg Portaflex that might be good (maybe I’ll finally sell my REDDI). I’m looking forward to trying out the possibilities with bass guitar.
I'd like a few more models, but in reality, at least with other modelers I've had, it always ends up SVT. Just change the gain a little.

Back
Top Bottom