Waitlist Email

@Greg Ferguson What mods are you using from Temple Audio if you don't mine me asking? For the connections on the side and such as well as mounting the FM9?
To mount the modeler or the FC, I finally switched to using Amazon product ASIN B007IA2V66
The threads match what Fractal said, and the length is enough to fit a Temple Audio board. Find some washers to fit so the screw heads don’t pop through the holes, and it’ll lock down nicely. You could even use some of the removable Blue(?) Loktite to keep the screws from loosening, though mine have held tight. And, strangely enough, the FM and FC units match the hole spacing perfectly.

On the right side I use Temple Audio’s 4x Mod. The first jack is hard wired to IN 1 on the modeler. Currently #2 is blank. #3 and #4 are pedals 1 and 2. The 4x mod is internally wired with all TRS jacks, but it is important to cut the trace internally if you’re going to use a connection for a pedal and there’s EVER a chance your pedal will fail or you won’t use it. NOT doing that will trick the modeler into thinking the pedal is there but either 0% or 100% on, which messes with the Auto-engage settings.

On the top-left I have the IEC power connector. I cut the cable, fed it through the board, then resoldered it with shrink tubing to protect it all. I think Temple Audio has a way to disassemble the unit so cutting isn’t necessary, so contact them if you use that module.

Below that I have the XLR Mod which connects to the OUT 1 XLR connectors.

My goal was to reduce anything sticking off the backplane because a drunk singer stepped on the XLR connectors on my FM3 the first time I took it out.

I soldered all my connecting cables, modifying some, to use the shortest profile connectors I could find.

Last edited:
The 4x mod is internally wired with all TRS jacks, but it is important to cut the trace internally if you’re going to use a connection for a pedal and there’s EVER a chance your pedal will fail or you won’t use it. NOT doing that will trick the modeler into thinking the pedal is there but either 0% or 100% on, which messes with the Auto-engage settings.
I wasn't aware of that! Good to know.

Got my invitation on Friday, 2/17 and didn't get around to ordering until today. Super busy on Friday and second guessing myself on Saturday. Isn't this really overkill (I play bass mostly). Sunday, sure it's overkill but you'll look good running an SVT patch. Heh. Ordered.

EDIT: I was on the list around 12/1/2022. Not sure of exact timing.
I use it for everything, guitar, acoustic and bass - it's great!! I haven't used it for vocals yet, but I imagine that is totally doable, for recording anyway. I don't imagine you will regret it. Congrats.

Does anybody know if the FM9 can be used as a midi interface for, say, an Alesis SR-16?
I don't think so... Even the Axe Fx III can't act as a midi interface.

Why do you want to use midi from the SR-16 thru the FM9? What are you trying to do?

I don't think so... Even the Axe Fx III can't act as a midi interface.

Why do you want to use midi from the SR-16 thru the FM9? What are you trying to do?
I’d like to be able to use the SR-16 with EZ Drummer. I’m not very fluent in Midi.

I got an email today with the topic "Your Order Has Been Updated" and I can read the first few characters "An order you recently placed on our website has had its status changed ..." My heart sank. I waited two days to order, because life and I thought it was cancelled. I waited too long. Ugh. But no, its status is now "Shipped"!! Yay, I'm getting an FM9 about a year before I expected. Now I'm wondering if I'm still on the King of Tone waitlist. Heh. I think it was at least ten years ago for that one.

For the interested, the firmware on the unit I got yesterday was version 3.00. I expect that I’ll be installing new firmware fairly often based on the frequency of updates, so it doesn’t bother me at all.

Awesome. I was discouraged when I got on the list, and seeing peoples wait time. I even had the Axe Fx 3 in the cart because I did not want to wait. But I did not pull the trigger, decided to wait. Now I am getting excited as my time is very near. Fractal seems to be making good progress. Thanks for posting your times, for I think mine will hit me while I am on vacation.
Dec. 26, 22

Back
Top Bottom