Waitlist Email

Hmmm. I bought a turbo but due to unforeseen circumstances had to sell it. I then got on the waitlist and am waiting patiently. But after reading above comments, it sounds as though, even though I have waited again on the waitlist, I will not be allowed to purchase anyway.

That is unfortunate….

Hmmm. I bought a turbo but due to unforeseen circumstances had to sell it. I then got on the waitlist and am waiting patiently. But after reading above comments, it sounds as though, even though I have waited again on the waitlist, I will not be allowed to purchase anyway.

That is unfortunate….
If you got on the list again, why wouldn’t you be able to get one? I guess maybe I’m missing something.

EDIT

Got it, never mind.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that if you already received a regular FM9 early on, you may be at the bottom of the list for the Turbo. I got this message from Fractal despite my waitlist date of August 9th,2022.
"Your name has not come up, but we are limiting FM9 purchases to one unit per customer. You already ordered one in October 2021.
I know that it was a standard, not turbo, but there are still hundreds of people who haven't had a chance to purchase at all yet."
I think it's a bad business model as I would be getting rid of my regular fm9 once I get the turbo.
Seems like the early adopters are being punished. It's not even the same model.
I'm in the same boat, but a few days later than you on this waitlist, and also got the original FM9 in October 2021. At least it's hundreds of people and not thousands!

@dean701 thanks for letting the thread know that there is a limit on waitlist orders. That’s good information.

(The rest is not to Dean, just musing on waitlist thoughts while we stand in line together.)

My guess is that they made this “one per waitlist” decision in an attempt to spread them out to as many waitlist customers as possible until the waitlist is no more, and possibly to protect waiting customers from the “buy early and flip it for a profit” crowd, who may not intend to ever use an FM9 at all except for lining their pockets. Whichever it may be, this or something else, it’s unusual for a company to care at all. I wouldn’t like getting the notification, but I like the place that sort of decision comes from with FAS. Comparing to other “big and successful” musical instrument companies, it sure isn’t the common business model. But they’ve built a market on doing something extra and unexpected or, better yet, uncommon, at every opportunity. In retrospect after a dozen years as a returning customer, that may be at the very heart of their business plan; be uncommon in a good way. “Start with a premium product. Don’t follow that big corporate plan, and take a chance that stupid business ideas like giving away really useful and needed upgrades, interacting directly with users on a daily basis, and (I suppose) worrying over a waitlist, might actually be a really good business plan because it’ll keep customers like ol’ Rick over there coming back, again and again.” I guess they were smarter than they seemed. Here I still am.

Musing over. Thank you for your indulgence.

Last edited:
When the turbo replaced the standard, didn't FAS just carry on with the existing waitlist as though it was the same product? Or where are people getting the expectation that they could purchase additional FM9s before others had even gotten an opportunity to purchase their first? I'm pretty sure it's only ever been one per person until it reaches GA, regardless of how many times a person gets on the waitlist. This seems to have been SOP with waitlists on their other products, which seems like common-sense fairness, on top of a way to help cut down on scalping.

I was lucky enough to get in on the first run of FM9s last year. I want to get a turbo, but I guess I don't have this feeling of entitlement in thinking that I should have a second purchase opportunity before others have been able to get their first. I consider myself fortunate to have been able to get one when I did, and I don't mind waiting so that others can get theirs.

Last edited:
When the turbo replaced the standard, didn't FAS just carry on with the existing waitlist as though it was the same product? Or where are people getting the expectation that they could purchase additional FM9s before others had even gotten an opportunity to purchase their first? I'm pretty sure it's only ever been one per person until it reaches GA, regardless of how many times a person gets on the waitlist. This seems to have been SOP with waitlists on their other products, which seems like common-sense fairness, on top of a way to help cut down on scalping.

I was lucky enough to get in on the first run of FM9s last year. I want to get a turbo, but I guess I don't have this feeling of entitlement in thinking that I should have a second purchase opportunity before others have been able to get their first. I consider myself fortunate to have been able to get one when I did, and I don't mind waiting so that others can get theirs.
Not a sense of entitlement. I understand their decision and I truly believe in the one purchase strategy for scalping reasons, with the exception to those few hundred that have the original model. I think they should be offered a trade in deal if they wish.

Not a sense of entitlement. I understand their decision and I truly believe in the one purchase strategy for scalping reasons, with the exception to those few hundred that have the original model. I think they should be offered a trade in deal if they wish.
I’m not sure a trade deal would be a good idea, as it only really benefits the consumer, but I think they should definitely still sell the new unit to users if they waited, just IMO.

The old gear could be harvested, the new chip installed and then sold again.
We have already been told the processor is not "upgradable" and even if it were then Fractal is not selling a new unit. Which means they'd really have to sell it for less and deal with any potential "issues" it came with.

I don't see a benefit to Fractal in that scenario...

The old gear could be harvested, the new chip installed and then sold again.
De-soldering a BGA type part off a circuit board is extremely difficult and more times than not ends up with either unusable pads on the card or a damaged part. The few times I've seen it done was during development when there was a shortage of prototype boards floating around and it was worth the risk for some spares. Definitely not something you want to sell to a customer.

For what it's worth, once the AxeFx-II came out, all support for the Ultra dropped. I'm still using a beta version of the PC editor, which is very buggy. Also, right after I bought the MFC-101, they announced the new proprietary interface with the FC-6/12. Sucks, but it's part of the business. Either way, you currently hold a pretty awesome processor, and it will make you quite happy if you let it.

De-soldering a BGA type part off a circuit board is extremely difficult and more times than not ends up with either unusable pads on the card or a damaged part. The few times I've seen it done was during development when there was a shortage of prototype boards floating around and it was worth the risk for some spares. Definitely not something you want to sell to a customer.
+1 to all of that.

For what it's worth, once the AxeFx-II came out, all support for the Ultra dropped.
For the record, support didn't drop for the Ultra when the Axe-Fx II came out. Future development of the Ultra ended, but support continued strong.

Yep.. and really the "turbo" and original is in real world like adding 5-10 HP to a car... unless you are hitting the gas pedal literally to the floor at every green light you aren't even gonna know . Heck actually I was wondering if there is any badge difference on the units other than the serial #? I've seen some pictures of the new ones and I don't believe I've seen the word "turbo" on it.

I was wondering if there is any badge difference on the units other than the serial #? I've seen some pictures of the new ones and I don't believe I've seen the word "turbo" on it.
It only occurs during the power-up, when the splash screen displays.

The difference in speed (11.11%) is subtle and is the sort of change that on a desktop or laptop computer people wouldn't notice, especially after a day or two of using the unit. It's definitely nothing like the difference in speed between the FM9 and FX3.

One thing that would be cool is if on the OG units if fractal would honor warranty repairs to ANY owner original or not for say till the end of 2023 or mid 2024.... to give potential new owners more peace of mind when buying a slightly used one. I think it would help the secondary market feel confident in their purchase and people that just "gotta have the turbo" well.. they are gonna sell em when they can get a new one anyway... again.. nothing wrong with standing by a product and being a little more flexible about it. IMO..

Back
Top Bottom