[Video] Using a (free) LUFS meter to loudness match amps and presets

So I have the loudness meter running now and I'm taking a test drive through my first preset. I have my Output 1 knob at 12 o'clock and I am running XLRs out to my Audiobox USB with both input levels rolled completely counter clockwise (-10db). I am using the factory preset "Andy's Message." However, in order to get the Integrated LU to stay around -17 I need to turn the amp block down considerably, to -34db. The peak and True Peak levels in the Loudness analyzer read around -25db. I'm just curious if I'm missing something in the setup or should be doing something differently because it seems like such a low level at which to have to set the amp block. Hope I'm not being too much of a pain with all these questions but I'm slowly learning the ropes and really want to have a reliable method for level matching so I can enjoy playing through the AX8 from the first time I take it out to a gig.

However, in order to get the Integrated LU to stay around -17 I need to turn the amp block down considerably, to -34db.

gain staging. it looks like you're plugging the ax8 (a line level device) into a mic input. if you use xlr to trs cables instead of xlr to xlr, you may find you'll get more sensible levels (if your audio interface has combined inputs)

Hi all, this is a very interesting thread and something I am keen to use to level about 40 pre-sets using up to 5 scenes in each.

Unfortunately I have a problem with the set-up which is as follows:-

Reaper installed
Melda LUFS installed

Axe FX connected to PC via USB
New track in Reaper, assign LUFS under effects and hit record.
The LUFS does not change.
When i play what has been recorded back the LUFS works.

Can soembody please guide me as to what i am doing wrong, must be a setting somewhere I have missed.

Recording software and the likes are not my strong point i have only tinkered, so please be gentle with me.

Many thanks in advance.

You need to enable monitoring through reaper - the little speaker symbol on the track

Got it!! Many thanks, the waveform was stretched all the way out, reducing it showed the option on the track which i could not see before.

Many thanks for your help.:D

Most good daws come with a way to this. I use Sonar. But I still like using the VU meters in Ax8. But I do use Sonar like the OP also. So it's great to have more way than one to do this. Good post

Hi,
this looks great to me.
Now I'm not a recorder myself, so am a total noob in that area.
Can somebody give me some directions how to setup this, hard-/software wise?

I have an AX8 and a Macbook.
Since the AX8 has no audio over usb I'm looking for some decent connection possibility and (cheap) software which has this built in.
I will never be a pro-recorder so not looking for the pro-stuff, just to achieve this LUFS metering.
Thanks.

Hi,
this looks great to me.
Now I'm not a recorder myself, so am a total noob in that area.
Can somebody give me some directions how to setup this, hard-/software wise?

I have an AX8 and a Macbook.
Since the AX8 has no audio over usb I'm looking for some decent connection possibility and (cheap) software which has this built in.
I will never be a pro-recorder so not looking for the pro-stuff, just to achieve this LUFS metering.
Thanks.

Sorry, I completely forgot your post. You can use garageband (which I believe is free on Mac), and the LUFS meter will form melda productions can be downloaded as an AU (garageband compatible) plugin. Garageband can just use the line in port (stereo mini jack on your mac book). No need for extra hard- or software.

I'm wondering about the relationship between an LUFS meter and the VU meter on the AX8 hardware. As I understand it, the VU meter simply allows you to internally monitor presets so they don't have any digital clipping and a Loudness meter will give a representation of your actual output level. My question is: assuming that there is no internal digital clipping and the output levels are within a user's desired range, will it matter if the VU levels are different between/among various presets/scenes? For example, a given preset's output level is -6db and its VU meter averages around 0 while another preset's output level is -6db but it's VU meter is much lower. Is this something to be concerned about or is it irrelevant as long as the output levels are where the user wants them and the preset is not causing any digital clipping?

What do you mean by output level - is it the level in the output block, the level in the amp block or something different.

The best tool, you have in Ax8 or AxeFX to level your presets are the VU meters. If all presets line up around 0, they are approximately equal loudness. The VU meter is not a peak meter, it is an RMS meter, but the integration time is (IMO) too short to be really useful.

A loudness (LUFS) meter integrates the average level for as long as you want and will give you an actual loudness level value. No other available tool does that.

By output level I meant the loudness level reading on the LUFS meter. A number of presets I have made have been within a desirable loudness range on the LUFS meter but read at well below 0 in the VU meter. Should I prioritize a 0 VU meter reading for all scenes and presets and then adjust levels to get the desired LUFS meter reading?

No - It's either or - Either you ignore the VU meters or you ignore the LUFS meter.

Also, there is really no desirable loudness level on a LUFS meter. All presets should just hit the same value. It does not matter, what the value is. If you want to, you can choose a LUFS value that gives you ~0 on the VU meter, but that will depend on your Ax8 output level and any input level trim, you have going into your LUFS meter.

Ok thank you. I was hoping this was the case but just wanted to make sure before I went even further. Thanks again!

No - It's either or - Either you ignore the VU meters or you ignore the LUFS meter.

Also, there is really no desirable loudness level on a LUFS meter. All presets should just hit the same value. It does not matter, what the value is. If you want to, you can choose a LUFS value that gives you ~0 on the VU meter, but that will depend on your Ax8 output level and any input level trim, you have going into your LUFS meter.

Sorry, I completely forgot your post. You can use garageband (which I believe is free on Mac), and the LUFS meter will form melda productions can be downloaded as an AU (garageband compatible) plugin. Garageband can just use the line in port (stereo mini jack on your mac book). No need for extra hard- or software.

Thanks for your post. In the meantime I found a Roland quad Capture with Ableton Live included.
Also found a free LUFS meter plugin (max time 60 sec, but thats enough)
So I'm settled. Maybe some others can follow your advice.
OTOH I don't have a mini jack in on my Macbook (new type) so would need an audio interface anyway.
Thanks, this whole LUFS brought me in the right path.

Back
Top Bottom