[Video] Using a (free) LUFS meter to loudness match amps and presets

yup, i do the exact same thing with the waves level meter. it's just so easy. i usually have 3db difference between clean, crunch and lead tones though.
What levels do you use with the waves?
Clean, crunch, lead.

yes, i was just checking it out today. the new meter also has a 3 second average, which is very useful

if you're not sure, it's the middle of the three meters in the plugin. that's the best one to use

Last edited:
What are you using to run the loudness analyzer dll file? I'm not sure how to open it up or get it running. I'm guessing this is some glaring gap in my software knowledge. Sorry if it's a boneheaded question

What are you using to run the loudness analyzer dll file? I'm not sure how to open it up or get it running.
This product is a plugin. It's intended to be used with DAW software, such as Reaper. If you're running a DAW, you load it like any other plugin. If you're not running a DAW, you can't load it. :)

Great idea!
thanks
Pauly

I made this video yesterday (for another thread) to show, how I use a loudness meter to match loudness between amps and between presets. Thought it could be useful for some.

It works quite well, I think. I use MLoudnessAnalyzer from the free vst package from Melda Productions and Reaper ($60).

This product is a plugin. It's intended to be used with DAW software, such as Reaper. If you're running a DAW, you load it like any other plugin. If you're not running a DAW, you can't load it. :)
I'm running from my AX8 into a Presonus AudioBox USB Interface and was using Presonus Studio One v3 for the time being. I wasn't trying to record anything, just using the headphone out on the AudioBox to hear the presets etc. I couldn't find a way to load the plug in into Studio One.
I also have Sony Audio Forge and I managed to load the plug in into that but I couldn't figure out how to run it "live" so to speak. I had to record something then preview it in the plug in and then go back and do it all over if I tried to make changes.
Anyway, I downloaded the free VSThost program and it appears to be operating as I guess it should. I haven't actually set up my AudioBox and tried to play anything yet to monitor the loudness. Hopefully it will all be a grand success!

Unrelated question: Although I know I've seen bits about this elsewhere. Where would you all recommend I set my Output 1 knob for the best results? Also, was the -17db loudness in the video just an arbitrary number for demonstration? Is there a number I should aim at for live gigging purposes that will achieve an even level among scenes and presets?

just have out 1 on full (so when you come back to do it again in the future, you'll know where to set it). you don't have to aim for any specific value. it's the difference between the values you choose for clean, rhythm and lead that are important. the loudest patch you have sets the upper limit. my values are -20 for clean, -17 for dirty rhythm and -13 to -14 for lead (actually 3.5db difference). if you aim for about 3db you should be good to go.

Those are good values @simeon - I have been setting clean and dirty patches to the same value, but I find the cleans to be a little too loud. I will keep your settings in mind for my next round of adjustments (it never ends does it?)

Those are good values @simeon - I have been setting clean and dirty patches to the same value, but I find the cleans to be a little too loud. I will keep your settings in mind for my next round of adjustments (it never ends does it?)

Its all about that actual, perceived volume. Using this software is a great tool if you then take it to a live setting with a dB meter and see what the actual levels hit. I think with @simeon's suggestions on the level difference when setting up using the software, you will find that your actual volume levels when playing will be consistent. Let's just not forget that setting the base levels using the amp block only is just the 1st part to the equation. You then have to proceed to any drive blocks, Boost (PEQ or Filter) Blocks, etc to make sure that your levels stay the same as well and don't jump up or down on you....... All in all, its a pretty useful tool for getting your levels dialed in across presets once you get the formula's figured out.

I dont see how a level meter would give a substantially different result than an integrated loudness measurement.

I already level all my scene and only use scenes, so there is no need to level the individual blocks.

I dont see how a level meter would give a substantially different result than an integrated loudness measurement.

I already level all my scene and only use scenes, so there is no need to level the individual blocks.

Well, you do want to make sure when you switch scenes and have a drive/boost active that the output level doesn't jump up by 4-5dB don't you? That is all that I am saying. You can't just stop at checking the level of the amp block. You have to check it with your drives/boost activated too to make sure that when you have them engaged you are not jumping up a crazy amount on your levels.

Back
Top Bottom