User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs

Re: User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs?

I'd like to know what the distortion sounds like, especially considering it has tweeters to reproduce any nasty harmonics generated by clipping the amp. Also, how loud does it go before it noticeably distorts? Can somebody play a clean patch and drive it hard enough to distort the amp and report on what the distortion sounds like? Soft pleasant clipping? Harsh tweeter hash?

What I'm getting at is whether or not the amp is usable beyond it's linear region and its 50 watt spec. Can it be overdriven to get more than 50 watts and still sound good?

I do think tubes work best in hi-end hi-fi systems, but it seems like it would be a LOT less expensive to use a quality solid state amp (yeah I know that's been heard before).

I'm torn between a set of quality active monitors and these. The monitors would be loud enough for sure. I'm not so certain about the Atomic. But I do think tubes are more transparent and sound awesome in hi end hi-fi amps. They're just expensive. If I knew these were loud enough...

How can you objectively evaluate how loud something is without pulling out SPL meters? :?:

Stephen Cole

Great reviews of the Atomic FR so far. I have a few questions:

1) Have anybody tried it with a bass and the bass amp and cab models in the Axe Fx yet, and if so how did it handle that??
2) Have anybody compared it to
a) a FBT Verve 12ma ?
b) a set of quality studio monitors like Dynaudio, Adam or similar ?
and if so what are your opinions.

sampleaccurate said:
If I knew these were loud enough...

How can you objectively evaluate how loud something is without pulling out SPL meters? :?:

Stephen Cole
You can't. Decibel is the objective way to measure how loud something is

Really diggin the Reactor.
Ive spent a solid 18-20 hrs playing thru them since Tuesday. I had run into some problems putting my acoustic thru it initially, but found a simple solution. I use a Juan Carlos under the saddle pickup. It's a coaxial, very sensitive, very hot. I run it thru the Ultra- no amp or cabinet sims, just parametric s and a touch of delay in a side-chain (and occasional MBC).I was getting this tremendous compressive thud every time i came down hard on the strings. Thought i would blow the speaker out.
I dropped in a filter first in the chain, set it to shelving and set the freq. to 36Hz with a -7db cut- cleaned it right up.

The Reactor is crystal clear. Every detail is coming thru- good and bad. I am going back to clean my patches up a bit. The detail is pronouncing harmonics which were not as clear to me before.

Played it at rehearsal tonight. Outstanding- everything sounded right on. Dr. Z in the HOUSE!
The Reactor is giving me that 3d detail ive been chasing for awhile and couldn't pull out of the axe...not that its not there, i just wasnt able to completely dial it in.
I am really psyched. Thanks again Tom, Cliff and all.

...mine was delivered today! But...I'm not there! :x

...tomorrow (Friday), will be a blasting day fo' sure... :p

Seems as though everyone is too busy rocking out with these than bothering creating youtube videos or soundtracks with them. So far we only have one video of a mellow little wing song... no brutalz yet mortega :roll: Brutalz Brutalz Brutalz! what is a brutalz anyways... that's a new term for me but my hunch is it falls under that genre of music I'm all about! Brutalz is having major bass pushing air creating your innerds to vibrate. I tried messing with the killer Eqing of the Axe Fx to create this but my cabinets can't handle such lower frequencies. Will I still need a sub woofer with this system or no? Growl! anyone else solely into BRUTALZ!!! :twisted:
also was wondering if I would get it quicker from G66...been on the list since May and still haven't gotten a call.
Ken

Mike Snider,

Having the same percussive issue with my palm muting with my PRS 24 and EMG 81/85 pickups. I see that you shelved and was wondering if you tried the notch first. For me, it prevents the FR from getting up to full volume.

Speaking of volume, I have run the FR's on 10 with iTunes through the mixer. I was able to get it pretty darn close to what I think is full FR volume without breakup. Keep in mind that the FR is closer to a powered monitor than an amp and when you have the FR on 10 you have to be careful about the signal going out.

thanks for the reviews guys. Can't wait to get my call from Tom! This sounds like the perfect solution. I've been playing my ultra through my home stereo system (a bunch of unpowered KRK monitors into a surround sound amp) and a little through the effects loop in my Marshall, I can't wait for my synth sounds to jump out more!

MSS said:
Mike Snider,

Having the same percussive issue with my palm muting with my PRS 24 and EMG 81/85 pickups. I see that you shelved and was wondering if you tried the notch first. For me, it prevents the FR from getting up to full volume.

Speaking of volume, I have run the FR's on 10 with iTunes through the mixer. I was able to get it pretty darn close to what I think is full FR volume without breakup. Keep in mind that the FR is closer to a powered monitor than an amp and when you have the FR on 10 you have to be careful about the signal going out.

I have not tried the notch in that location, i found the shelf to be very effective for this application. The percusive vibration in my case is a result of having a direct contact pickup sending an extremely low frequency thu. so i just cut that area out. I think the palm muting on an active pickup like the EMG will need different frequencies addressed ( i could be wrong here). Give both a try (shelving and notching)and see what works best. You may find that notching somewhere above 35Hz works in your scenario. I actually notched at 440 just a bit, my acoustic really punched there and i was able to soften it up with a very, very narrow notch right at 440.
Once i found the right frequencies, i was able to get full potential out of the Reactor.

My electric is a strat with lace sensors. I've had no issues with my electric at all- other than the clarity of the Reactor has sent me back to clean up a few things.

I've been on the waiting list since I bought the Ultra in May 2009. I got a call from Tom Tuesday night saying it was ready to ship if I was still interested... of course I was! We spoke for at least 15 - 20 minutes, a very good conversation. The customer service is first rate and so importantly... so is the product! Congratulations to you Tom and the new Atomic FR! The amp arrived at my home Thursday afternoon, just as Tom told me it would. The amp came from CT, I'm in NY so it didn't have far to go. :p
Since I first got the Ultra, my power amp has been a Mesa Boogie 50/50 power amp w/ 6L6's and a pair of single 12" Black Shadow Mesa cabinets. I perfered to run the amp and cab sims on with this setup as I felt the tone was richer overall and adjusted the tone to taste with a little eq. I was happy with my sound, but wanted to try the Fratomic to get all the sonic glory the AxeFX has to offer. Well, I played thru the Ultra and Atomic FR for a few hours Thursday after I got home from work and I have not played it very loudly or with my band yet, I'll do that next week, but I'm REALLY liking what I'm hearing! :D
The first sound I used was a clean Mesa patch and I instantly heard the difference between my 50/50 and the Atomic. The Fratomic pacts more punch and dimension with excellent clarity and definition better then my Mesa does. All my presets sound better, more organic and lively with great detail and tone, very responsive and dynamic! This amp truly compliments the AxeFX in every way, and I very happy I listened to Tom and waited for this bad-boy to arrive!
So, does it sound like an "amp in the room?" ..... YES! Plenty of punch, even at low volume you feel it's there without losing focus or being muddy. I haven't cranked the volume yet to see if it'll ring my ears for a few hours but I'm sure it's plenty loud enough for my needs too. I used a 2 ft. monster cable to connect the Axe & Fratomic, but I'll be getting an XLR cable to replace that this weekend, as I'm aware that I'll have 6db more volume and even better tone, plus quieter... although I found the signal to be quiet on it's own using an unbalanced cable.
Is it loud enough? ...Well for my needs, without yet having turned it up loud and playing with my band... yes. Will it compete volume wise with a 100w tube head into a 4X12 cabinet? .... well at 50w with a single 12" and 4" tweeter, maybe not, but it sure pacts a hellava punch for what it is. Everyones needs are different, tone wise, how much volume they use... etc.
I'm VERY HAPPY with the Atomic FR and it really compliments the AxeFX as I thought it could and would! Thank you so much Tom for your product and service, Cliff and yourself have combined forces to have made the hands down, finest compact guitar rig and customer service on the planet and I'm psyched to be part of it!
Now I await for the Fractal MFC to complete the last link in the chain! :mrgreen:

Now .. The question of the day is:

Will the patch sound good when you tweak it to perfection on AtomicFR and then send it to PA/FOH or it will need EQ to get it to sound good ?

Mik.

i would say that it is possible to sound different than what you have dialed in, but those are factors beyond your control.
Much like miking your amp and having the soundman do what they want with your signal. once you give them an XLR with a mic on it or direct- you are the only one hearing what you hear, the FOH is up to the soundperson.
I would also propose that you have a higher percentage of consistancy with the direct signal.
These of course are my opinions and all that stuff.

MichiganboySB said:
Seems as though everyone is too busy rocking out with these than bothering creating youtube videos or soundtracks with them. So far we only have one video of a mellow little wing song... no brutalz yet mortega :roll: Brutalz Brutalz Brutalz! what is a brutalz anyways... that's a new term for me but my hunch is it falls under that genre of music I'm all about! Brutalz is having major bass pushing air creating your innerds to vibrate. I tried messing with the killer Eqing of the Axe Fx to create this but my cabinets can't handle such lower frequencies. Will I still need a sub woofer with this system or no? Growl! anyone else solely into BRUTALZ!!! :twisted:
also was wondering if I would get it quicker from G66...been on the list since May and still haven't gotten a call.
Ken
Your cabinet can't handle those low frequencies because guitar cabs were not designed to handle frequencies that low that area is for bass and when you have two instruments with the same frequecies occupying the same space it muddies everything up.

mik said:

Will the patch sound good when you tweak it to perfection on AtomicFR and then send it to PA/FOH or it will need EQ to get it to sound good ?

Mik.
Or alternatively, . . . will it need EQ to get it to sound good recorded into a DAW and played through studio monitors.

I sure hope it produces tones that are reasonably close to those in both situations noted above, especially studio monitors.

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
mik said:

Mik.
Or alternatively, . . . will it need EQ to get it to sound good recorded into a DAW and played through studio monitors.

I sure hope it produces tones that are reasonably close to those in both situations noted above, especially studio monitors.

Terry.

IMHO it definitely produces tones that are more than reasonably close to patches tweaked for use with a DAW / through studio monitors. As I think I stated in another thread, I have yet to tweak ANY of my patches AT ALL (all created using studio monitors, Adam A5's and or headphones) for use with this thing and I've pretty much moved to it exclusively for playing, even at very, very low volumes. Every patch created on the studio monitors sounds great -- fuller, richer with more warm organic in the room presence through the Atomic FR.

On that note, how do hold up as studio monitors? I could see muskeg getting two of these and setting it up for home theater use...

...im getting tired of waiting for reviews. i plan to pick one up monday. ill worry about tube/reliability issues when and if they come

I spent a couple hours with the Atomic FR today. My initial impressions are very positive. The first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the high end. Compared to my RCF 200AM the high end of the Atomic just has a sweetness to it. Overall, it has more than enough volume for my needs and the amp is very quiet. I spent a little time tweaking my presets and I'm pleased with the results. I started with just amp and cab and gradually added back in effects. I am running the input of the Atomic around 1:00 and the tweeter at about 1:30 and have the output of the Ultra at 12:30. I would be interested what settings others are using

One major difference I noticed was how great the drive models sound through the Atomic. The RCF always had a high end sizzle on the overdrives that I just couldn't get rid of. It is no longer there with the Atomic. I am assuming that it has to do with the 4 inch tweeter and the fact that it is adjustable which is a really nice feature. While I've never had a hard time getting the amp in the room tone, I will say it is definitely enhanced with the Atomic. There seems to be a whole different level of clarity to the tone. The way the amp moves air is also different than the RCF. Although, my main presets are based around the US Clean amp with OD. I will try some high gain presets tomorrow. The real test will be practice Monday night. I am really interested to see how the Atomic sits in the mix.

Seriously guys, will just one of these things keep up with a pretty loud drummer.?

Or must I buy 2.?

Thanks.

I think one will be more than enough. But in the unlikely case your drummer is really that loud (in that case I would look for a new drummer instead of an amp because you're seriously hurting you ears), you can always buy another one in the future.

And remember you have a trial period, if it doesn't cut it, return it.

I'm wondering if most of the reviews to date are from users who didn't previously have an FRFR solution (note, I said "most"... I know of at least one reviewer who had an RCF, I think).

I'd be really curious to read a review from someone who has been able to A/B compare it with one of the top contenders in the FRFR world (FBT Verve 12mA or QSC HPR122i). I would also be curious to know from the reviewers to date what they were using previously. Amp and cab? Return loop of a guitar amp? Studio monitors? Headphones?

Thanks to all who provided input to date. Keep it coming...

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom