User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs

Re: User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs?

Gasp100 said:
I think the reviews already given are spot on... excellent stuff.
You're the first "real world" user semi-review that I've seen on the boards... others have been resellers and pre-production model "reviews"... Can't wait to get your full review on this bad boy!!!

FYI.....

By using the balanced XLR connection between the Axe-fx and the Atomic FR you're automatically getting a +6dB boost in signal level. This is twice the signal level, and would explain why balanced users are experiencing an apparent increase in level. That's the nature of balanced vs unbalanced. It's a benefit along with increased immunity to noise on the interconnect.

...if you look at the Atomic FR manual, the XLR input looks like the "male" variety...ie; there are pins...the XLR output on the Axe-Fx is also male...

...am I missing something? :?:

Shaloha said:
XLR Input on the Fratomic is Female...it has "holes" ;)

...I'm sure you're probably right, but in the Atomic FR manual, the way the graphics look, the XLR input does not look like "holes." :lol:

...it appears to be the exact opposite... :p

..anybody who sees this manual will likely be confused...maybe not :D

...in fact, the XLR "thru" looks like holes...

mortega76 said:
Gasp100 said:
I think the reviews already given are spot on... excellent stuff.
You're the first "real world" user semi-review that I've seen on the boards... others have been resellers and pre-production model "reviews"... Can't wait to get your full review on this bad boy!!!

Here is more details that I just posted on TGP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwc2112
How close in your opinion? I have a Verve right now and wasn't planning on switching to the Atomic unless it was really worth it.

I think if I was using the Verve for monitoring and not relying on the Verve as a "backline" I would probably stick with the Verve.
My situation is that this IS now my one and only amp. Even if I do gig again someday, I'm sure most gigs would be unmic'd with only vocals through the PA. Also, I want something easy for home studio to small jams and I think the AxeFX in a two space rack bag on top of the Atomic FR with a Rocktron midimate is perfect.
I really prefer the form factor of a standard guitar cab (I pretty much sit in front of the amp or slightly off axis). I think this sounds warmer, richer, more even in the lows and the high end more pleasing to my ears. I thought I might need to tweak the overall global EQ to get more pronounced mids, but once I raised the cab up about 3" that fixed it.
Overall it's a bit more musical and natural than the Verve 12ma. I also would say it feels more 'immediate' and the slight disconnect I felt with other monitoring solutions is gone (especially when dialing the verb or delay out completely).
Even with the little time I've had with it I could definitely get the feel and vibe of amps that I recently owned with no discernable difference BUT of course a straight ahead A/B comparison would be best.
Here are amps for a frame of reference that I have recently owned and this rig is extremely close if not already there without any tweaking of patches yet. I still need more time though:

Blackface tones:
Fargen Blackbird 20, Allen Accomplice Jr, '66 Fender Bandmaster (used to drop a "vintage RAT", Timmy, Fulldrive II Mosfet, Hardwire CM-2 in front for overdrive). <Pretty much done with my standard BlackFace patch. The RAT model in the AxeFX with the additional EQ's options is better than the original RAT imho>

Marshall tones:
Suhr Badger 18, Badger 30, Soultone Wilbur 18/20, Ceriatone 2061x <those amps had just a touch more "swirl" than my current patches, but I think with the right mix of Red Wirez IR's I will be there. The little wing demo was a quick patch built off Plexi I and the Marshall 1960a G12M cab - Royer121 - 0.5" off the cap.>

Vox:
Winfield Cyclone, AC15 Handwired, Psionic Audio modded AC30cc1, Valvetech Hayseed <pretty much there with the Red Wirez AC30 Blue IR's, still need to test a few more mic/placement options>

Dumble-esque:
Any of the BF tone amps above with a Jetter GSR <this rig kills for those tones, no amps I've owned come as close as this rig>

Mesa:
Valvetech VAC25 with boost <same as above>

Higher Gain:
no reference, but this rig can get a TIGHT bottom end. Really, really solid full and rich bottom end. More musical than the Verve 12ma imho.

That's it for now. I'll continue to test and see if I can get more clips and such for anyone interested. Thanks!

Hoping to hear some reviews from people that have used a QSC HPR122i.

quonsar said:
Dutch said:
udufru said:
Just an amusing aside here, Saturday night I played at a fundraiser, one of 5 bands, in this smoky little club. I asked the "sound tech" at the PA desk if he wanted an XLR from my rig. He looked dead straight at me and said "What's a XLR?"

I laugh because I've been in the exact same situation before. I've also had soundman insist that since they don't have any extra mic's, that I should just run my Marshall direct to the board (this was the pre-modeling and cab sim days). :shock:

The confusion around what type of cables to use is due to the manual. If you look at the diagram on page 4 of the manual it doesn't match the layout of the actual back panel on the Reactor FR. The Bal. Thru and Bal. In labels are reversed in the manual which is why the jacks didn't look correct.

I know... how reads the manual. I DID. :D

mworkman said:
The confusion around what type of cables to use is due to the manual. If you look at the diagram on page 4 of the manual it doesn't match the layout of the actual back panel on the Reactor FR. The Bal. Thru and Bal. In labels are reversed in the manual which is why the jacks didn't look correct.

I know... how reads the manual. I DID. :D

Yea exactly. I was the one that originally posted the question. That is why I was asking before i bought a new XLR for this. When I read the manual and saw the picture Tom posted back in July of the amp module removed from the chassis it looked like the wrong ends (sorry I didnt explain further at the time, i think i posted from my phone)

I spent about an hour and half today with the FR. I A/B'd it with the QSC HPR122 with both the Axe and iTunes into the mixer out to the FR and QSC. I have to say the FR sounds damn good, hands down a winner, Axe/FR vs. the Axe/QSC and running a close second with music.

The QSC's have a pronounced clarity in the bass region when listening to a mixed CD that the FR does not have. Having said that, the FR has an organic warmth to it that the QSC doesn't have. I drove myself crazy for about a half an hour A/B'ing the two. If I were a DJ I would keep the QSC. I'm not.

I also A/B'd the FR with my last tube amp, a Marshall DSL201 running a matched set of tubes from Eurotubes and a G12H. My Marshall sounds darn good but I have to say that I like the Axe/FR better. The one thing that the Marshall does better than the Axe/FR is push air. It is louder than the FR.

Sounds great! Got two of them. Here's what I got so far...Nice punch in the low end. Not too much that it would overpower or get muddy. Nice even response across the frequency range. It was designed to reproduce the outstanding sound of the Axe-Fx, and it does that superbly. What you hear, is all Axe-Fx. The clarity reminds me a lot of the sound I get when playing through hi quality headphones (I'm using Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro). There's the added movement of air, which gives it punch - not as much as many guitar oriented tube amps/cabs, but still enough to give you that in the room feel. Tweeter's at 12:00 (flat). Currently Fratomic level is at 2:00, Axe-Fx Output at 9:30 ish. It's pretty loud at that level, but not as much as I'd hoped. Tried the Fratomics at 3/4 level, Axe output at 9:00, but I haven't been brave enough to crank it any further...anybody gone over the edge and really pushed these? Is it possible to blow the speakers, or is there some sort of limiter on these? I'm going to really try to get additional volume tomorrow. I want to take my head off (which I don't think is going to happen clearly with 50 watts) but for me, I'm really liking what I'm hearing, and I'll settle for keeping my head on...by the way...using the XLR outs....far superior to the 1/4 inch.

There's been some great feedback so far. . . . thanks.

If anyone has a chance to compare the Atomic to studio monitors, please post your impressions. I'm particularly interested in understanding how flat the response is (i.e. uncoloured) and also how detailed it is.

Terry.

Got my first one yesterday. Second one will be here tomorrow. I've been using the Ultra with a MESA 2:90 and two 2x12 cabs with Scumback H75s. The tone I get out of just the ONE Atomic FR beats the heavy power amp and two speaker cabs hands down. THIS feels, sounds, and behaves like any boutique amp rig (I have a Two-Rock Type 3 and a coupla vintage Fenders). I tried two QSCs a while ago but never bonded. I'm guessing two of these things in stereo is pure Axe-Fx bliss!!! I can't wait to take both of them to practice and hear them in the mix. Of course my love of this tone is subjective, but it is finally almost exactly what my head tells me I WANT to hear. In addition, Tom has been a class act throughout. I hope they make some $$$!!!

PS: Anyone want a Two-Rock Type 3? A MESA 2:90? PM me... Seriously! :D

Just tried the acoustic - Ovation Elite - with both power amp and cab sims on, not great - bit muddy, clarity and brightness not there - tweeter adjustment just added ice pick stuff at the top end - turned the amp and cab sims off - WHOA - really nice - jumped out - clear and even sounding using a STOCK USA Clean patch (#112 on my Ultra). Wouldn't need too much EQ - just a touch of parametric perhaps. I play very percusive acoustic - I pound the guitar and palm mute a lot. Under normal circumstance this creates nightmares for soundmen in most PA systems. Booming cannon sort of stuff. Didn't experience that at all - took my pounding very well - it was distinct, but not an explosion. Very pleased with the acoustic sound (on that one patch at least). Shows me that for acoustic work, these Fratomics have great potetial.

So...why are these tube powered? Seems like kind of an admission that tubes are better? Don't get me wrong, i love my AF and I've enjoyed not worrying about blowing a power tube halfway through the gig...

It just seems....odd?

Back
Top Bottom