User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs

holdenhinkle

Inspired
Are there any reviews on the new FRs yet? I'm sure there are people who've had theirs for a few days now. Please post when you're ready!

Re: User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs?

Tom King is on my answering machine... this is a tough one. I've done a LOT of stuff with the AxeFX and I am just blown away. It's the perfect rig for me, I've even done some clips and a YouTube demo at this point. Last night I was poised to go ahead with a new tube amp build from a new company just to have a "real amp" in the house... but, I think I need to forge ahead with the Fractomic FRFR. It's the last piece to the puzzle.
Bump for reviews... anything?

Later this week I am sure. The earliest I've heard of somebody receiving them (based on their tracking number) is Wednesday. Now I suppose once they are in and sounding as great as they are expected to people get caught up in playing in which case we may not have reviews for DAYS! :lol:

ups tried to deliver mine yesterday but i was teaching. i just hope they can come a little earlier today!

jb70 said:
ups tried to deliver mine yesterday but i was teaching. i just hope they can come a little earlier today!

Is Tom requiring a signature for delivery?

Sixstring said:
jb70 said:

Is Tom requiring a signature for delivery?

I just got off the phone with Tom. I didn't realize they were in CT, I'm in Delaware so this might be here a lot sooner than I expected. Tom said they are not requiring signature unless you specifically ask for it which is great. I've had many times where I've had gear held up because I could not sign. I'm really looking forward to this!

it says on mine that a signature ir required but i didn't request it

I don't have a review yet as I just ordered mine today - but I can attest to the superior customer service from Tom King. My hats off to him!

Barr

I got mine today. Initial tests are very favorable, compared to a number of FRFR systems I have tried. This should really cure all the guys having trouble with the "in the room" syndrome. When I have a chance to do a thorough test, I will report back. At this point, my feeling is that this really compliments/completes the Axe-fx system. All of you with FRs en route are in for a treat. :mrgreen:

Got a pair today.
First impression is very favorable.
The amp in the room quest may be over.
Its organic and beasty. :twisted:
More detailed review to follow but too busy playing it.

Give the wife $30 to get her and the kids out out of the house and then CRANK THAT THANG! Then report back if it does the brootalz! :D

Got mine today too. My first impression at low volumes are...this thing sounds really good! I have a pair of QSC's and I have to admit they are close but....the Atomic FR sounds more like an amp...very warm and in your face. The QSC's are missing that and have that annoying high end that I have to dial out. The Atomic FR sounds good with no extra EQ'ing. The fit and finish is perfect. Atomic's customer service is first rate. My only knock so far is that it's not as loud as I thought it would be. I'm able to overpower the FR with the Axe output at 12'oclock and the FR volume on 8. I must be doing something wrong though - more to follow on that. I hooked up a cab with a V30 and a G12H and it sounded WAY better than with my 20/20. The power amp in the FR really does bring out the best in the AxeFX.

MSS said:
My only knock so far is that it's not as loud as I thought it would be. I'm able to overpower the FR with the Axe output at 12'oclock and the FR volume on 8.
Uh oh... What does it sound like to overpower the FR? I have been wondering how a tube powered FR amp responds to power amp distortion. I'm assuming it's not as pleasing as a normal tube amp / cab.

I had a pair of QSC's too and am curious how a single FR compares in volume to a single HPR122i.

With the old Atomics (50w-112) I would run the Atomic close to full and adjust volume by varying input from preamp. How did you know it was overpowered - distorted on cleans? Did the FR start to smoke?

i got mine today too but won't be able to crank it until tomorrow during the day (the people under me would freak right now). i checked out some presets at low volume and it sounded really good although i don't have another frfr enclosure to compare this to. i didn't have to roll off the tweeter at all- it sounded great at 12:00. i will specifically make some patches for it tomorrow at gig levels and will report back.

ok...just spent about 6 hrs playing.
First off. This is a great sounding FR setup. As others are saying it does have very amp like qualities.
Over teh last two years i have played thru a Renkus Heinze floor wedge. A really great wedge IMO. To be honest, untill now -i had not found anything as clear and real as the RH. I've played thru many FR solutions, but the RH always stood way out in my opinion.
I A/B'd the two for quite some time tonight (Reactor FR and RH). The main difference between the the two systems is obviously tubes. The Reactor FR does have a three dimensional quality about it. I noticed it right away. The notes were blooming out of the cabinet. The Renkus Heinze has a very even throw, with the horn blending almost seamlessly. The Reactor is even more seamless and the off axis dispersion is excellent. I'll have to wait till thursday to see how it sits in a band setting...ill get baks and let you know.

My initial impression is very good. I need more time to dial in. One place i struggled is with my acoustic. I play alot of acoustic. And the Ultra with a solid state amp(in the RH) has been a match made in heaven. The Reactor FR is a different animal, I'll have some tweaking to do on my acoustic patch for sure. I am probably boosting too much low with the MBC , but i was getting a compressive sound when striking the strings of my acoustic. The under saddle pickup i use( juan carlos CP-!A) is really hot and probably dosent help...i'll get back after working thru that one.

The tweeter level control is very responsive and has a great deal of influence on your sound. The knob is very gradient allowing for precise control of the high end blend. I will need to spend some time here and find a setting that achieves a good balance between electric and acoustic.
The weight of the Reactor is about 40 lbs and a bit weighted on the amp side. The handles are comfortable and make the unit easy to carry.
The cabinet itself is really nice looking....dosent really matter in the scheme of things but is a nice bonus.
It has a bit more headroom then my RH does....always a plus.

These are my just my first impressions. We will all be hammering on this thing over the next few weeks and learn a bit more about it. I think those that buy it will really enjoy it.
Sorry for the jumbled review...i'm dead tired but wanted to at least give a first impression.

Congratulations to Tom, Cliff and the crew for another excellent product.

It would be interesting if there are Fratomic-Users who switched from amp + guitar cab to Fratomic and are happy with FRFR now.

Yeh. Although everyone is different I kinda get the feeling the Atomic is more for amp/cab guys.

Those who use FOH a lot and just monitor themselves onstage have probably got what they need in the FBT, QSCs or similar.

Those who cant live without a real cab behind them - whether the guitar goes FOH or the backline is used for the main sound - havent in general found an answer that lets them use the cab sims.

My concerns with the Atomic are:

1. Does it sound "in the room" or "real cab" like.
2. Is it loud enough to replace a real amp, or Axe with power amp and cab (when no FOH available) for the main guitar sound.

If the answer to both is yes Ill be getting one. If the answer to either is no - then Ill stick with my power amp/cab setup.

Back
Top Bottom