User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs

Re: User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs?

same questions here!!

feel like a real amp?.....or, like an amplifier micked thru a monitor,fr...etc etc..?

i'm waiting you fratomics!! :cool:

cheers.

real amp feel.....I had the same thoughts as Mike....I liked the QSC for acoustic at first...this a matter preference though...think if you like a JC120 say or a Fender for cleans....then I bumped up the tweeter on the FR and my acoustic really came to life...very warm and clear with the clarity you get from a boutique amp. You know, that upper end sparkle that you get that allows you to hear what kind of pick you're using? Very well done Cliff and Tom.

As for the loudness, I really don't want to comment yet on that. Remember I'm comparing it to 2 400 Watt QSC's....Other FR owners please post your settings. AXE input/output and FR level. Axe will let you output 18 dBu so I imagine I should adjust to Line level at 6dBu and use the FR volume control. This should prevent the signal from going out too hot. Thanks!

Axe-Mode Optimizied for Reactor?

Near the bottom of the Fractal Audio AxeFx page( http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html ) there is the following statement,

"The Axe-Fx also has a mode optimized for use with Atomic Amplifiers’ Reactor Series amps."

Does anyone know what this mode is and have they had a chance to check it out with their new Reactors?

Thanks and keep up the great reviews ... we're are all looking forward to reading about all the initial impressions of this system.

Brown just came and dropped off my two Atomics. Got em out...hooking them up now. Initial comments (prior to playing them):

1) Fit and finish is excellent. Looks and feels like a quality build.
2) Classy looking
3) It's smaller than I expected (pleasantly so). It's one thing to see the dimensions in print, and get out rulers and measuring tapes etc, develop a "mental" picture...it's another to actually see it "live".
4) Really nice looking array of ins and outs and switches on the back, with sharp looking brushed/matte steel look. Raised rack type handles protect the lot against dings. Tweeter knob for treble adjustment feels like it has very fine "detented" gradations for adjustment.
5) No Fratomic or Fractal logos or identification - all Atomic designations - on the unit and in the manual.

Will post when I fire them up...or not :lol:

There was a question, maybe not in this thread, about the connector types on the cable needed to connect the Axe-FX to the Reactor FR. Is it male to female XLR or something else? If somebody can comment that would be appreciated.

Balanced In is Female (meaning you'll need the male xlr to plug in), and Balanced Thru is Male

quark said:
Axe-Mode Optimzied for Reactor?:

Near the bottom of the Fractal Audio AxeFx page( http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html ) there is the following statement,

"The Axe-Fx also has a mode optimized for use with Atomic Amplifiers’ Reactor Series amps."

Does anyone know what this mode is and have they had a chance to check it out with their new Reactors?

hm... i have no idea what that is. maybe cliff or tom can chime in.

i just spent about an hour on a clean, jazz tone and it really sounds amazing thru the reactor frfr. i've heard the axe thru the qsc's, an ev, and a jbl (all at different times) and was always impressed but the fratomic sounds the best (most guitar amp-like) to me.

i really want to take this sucker out on a gig but i have company from out of town for the next week. it looks like the soonest it will be gig ready is thursday, october 29th. i will give the full report.

Hey guys

I have had the Atomic cabs at the shop since the day after the LA Amp show. So its been a week and a half and I have been obsessively playing and demoing them for clients at the shop. I haven't wanted to post anything until I really felt like I knew the cabs and could objectively state the pros and cons. Fortunately, I haven't discovered any cons at this time. I am planning on doing an extensive video demo of the Atomics next week with an Axe Fx, a preamp and in a W/D/W setting. So stay tuned for that.

First off what initially struck me about the Atomics was the quality of the build and also how compact and light they are. I first hooked up my axe fx to the Atomics using standard quarter inch jacks and went through my normal presets which had been previously set in my VHT 2/90/2 rig with Port City cabs. What immediately struck me was how warm the cabs sounded and how dead silent quiet they are. They also sounded really clear and full. Also, once I figured out the tweeter, I didn't have to do as much eq to my amp settings as I thought I would have. To this point, I had never used the Cab sims on my Axe Fx. So, most of the time was finding the right cab choice. In both clean and dirty, was also shocked at how well the Atomics projected and the massive amounts of tight low end that can be achieved with these relatively small cabs. These cabs were handling an 8 string with tons of gain with no problem and never flubbed out. I felt like the cabs weren't just projecting forward, but were encompassing the the room. I especially noticed this when I kicked in ambient delays and reverbs. I then went back to my VHT rig through a Bogner 2x12. Myself and others could immediately notice that my previous rig now seemed allot duller and lifeless. The one thing that had me a little worried was that there was a high end sizzle that didnt seem right. And after spending allot of time changing the amps eq, I realized that the tweeter on the back of the Atomics were almost maxed out. When I adjusted the tweeter to around 9 o'clock and the sizzle was gone. Through my test, I found the tweeter settings to be very critical in how the cabs sounds. In the room I started in, the sweet spot was at o'clock. When I moved the rig onto the stage in my shops concert room, the room is much darker sounding and I so adjusted the tweeter accordingly. Also another little experiment I spent some time on, was comparing the volume, tone and noise when I switched to XLR cables. My tests revealed that to my ears, the XLR cables were noticeably louder and slightly clearer. i didn't notice any difference in eq response. Im going to stick with the XLRs from now on.

I also put my modded Bogner Fish into the Atomics and again the setting of the tweeter was very important in the overall tone. For the Bogner Fish and an Egnater M4, I had the tweeter almost off. So whatever you match with the Atomics, adjust the tweeter before u start jumping into your menus of the Axe Fx, it will save you alot of time. Overall, I think of enough positive things to say about the Atomics. They really have lived up to the hype and exceeded my expectations. I cant wait to hear everybody's reactions as everyone I have played them for have been really impressed with them. I cant wait to set up a w/d/w rig using the Atomics an Axe Fx and a Bogner 20th Anniversary head :mrgreen: its gonna be KILLER.

thanks

Tone Merchants said:
Also another little experiment I spent some time on, was comparing the volume, tone and noise when I switched to XLR cables. My tests revealed that to my ears, the XLR cables were noticeably louder and slightly clearer. i didn't notice any difference in eq response. Im going to stick with the XLRs from now on.

+1000! definitely go with the xlr cables guys/gals. i was using a new vovox sonorus cable from the axe to the atomic. while it sounded good, i was getting some hum. i was on the phone with tom king and he told me to try an xlr cable. it was like night and day! no hum and a louder, more present signal. very good advice tone merchants!

I'm very interested to know how FRFR the Atomic is. What does it sound like with typical reference signal, say from a CD player, anyone tried this yet? Are the "3D qualities" everyone is raving about due to pure signal path quality, tubes or is there some artificial coloration being introduced?

Please can someone post a couple of pictures of them next to guitars/gear etc. I am worried they are a bit small.

Hi all,

Just purchased my Axe-fx and an atomic to G66.
I see that you speak about xlr cables. will it be better with it ?

I thought use a jack but if it is better with xlr. Do I have to buy a male/male ?

Thanks for your help

:evil: There is just not enough reviews, soundclips, pictures and videos coming back fast enough to quench my thirst! :evil:
Ken :lol:

MichiganboySB said:
There is just not enough reviews, soundclips, pictures and videos coming back fast enough to quench my thirst! :evil:
Ken :lol:

yeeeeeeah!!! we want information!!!gas is coming!!!.....please videos,clips....

;)

udufru said:
Hi all,

I thought use a jack but if it is better with xlr. Do I have to buy a male/male ?

Thanks for your help
Just plain XLRs! male one end, female the other. The male end has the stick things and the female has the holes. The male end is where something comes out and the female is where something goes in. That's the biblical way. And I mean that seriously.
Fortunately the DIN designers (who thought up XLR) adhered to the biblical design filosophy, that's why mixing desks inputs are all female and outputs are all male. Same goes for microphones (outputs, male), and amplifiers (inputs, male) Anyone manufacturer not doing it that way is out of the norm.

Dutch said:
udufru said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help
Just plain XLRs! male one end, female the other. The male end has the stick things and the female has the holes. The male end is where something comes out and the female is where something goes in. That's the biblical way. And I mean that seriously.
Fortunately the DIN designers (who thought up XLR) adhered to the biblical design filosophy, that's why mixing desks inputs are all female and outputs are all male. Same goes for microphones (outputs, male), and amplifiers (inputs, male) Anyone manufacturer not doing it that way is out of the norm.

Just an amusing aside here, Saturday night I played at a fundraiser, one of 5 bands, in this smoky little club. I asked the "sound tech" at the PA desk if he wanted an XLR from my rig. He looked dead straight at me and said "What's a XLR?"

quonsar said:
Just an amusing aside here, Saturday night I played at a fundraiser, one of 5 bands, in this smoky little club. I asked the "sound tech" at the PA desk if he wanted an XLR from my rig. He looked dead straight at me and said "What's a XLR?"
:shock:
They are finding soundmen off the street!

POB said:
I'm very interested to know how FRFR the Atomic is. What does it sound like with typical reference signal, say from a CD player, anyone tried this yet? Are the "3D qualities" everyone is raving about due to pure signal path quality, tubes or is there some artificial coloration being introduced?

I ran a cd thru- sounded great- exactly what you would expect from an FR speaker, an accurate reproduction.
I dont believe there is anything artificial in the path. I am hearing an unrestricted, clean signal.

I think the reviews already given are spot on... excellent stuff. I highly recommend using an XLR balanced cable; it seemed to make a big difference in overall volume level, less noise (and unless it was just the tubes getting nice and warmed up) better tone overall.
My basement is carpeted and the cabinet (as I knew going in) is pretty low profile (but wide). I play seated almost all of the time and the combo of the porting/design of the cab + carpeting was just a tad boomy. I put the cab on a dolly to raise it about 3-4" off the ground and it improved the tones in this scenario. I kept the level @12o'clock and the tweeter @12o'clock for all of my testing. So far I have not tweaked ANY patches or touched any EQ at all -- VERY impressive!
Here is a super quick video I did. My disclaimer is the camcorder recording is pretty lame, but I'm finding YouTube compression or aliasing to absolutely F*** UP my recordings. But, it is what it is... I my have to bring up my own server to host MP3's or something. I can provide the original video in higher quality if anyone is interested.

Late night, super low volume, new patch, new monitoring situation. This thing sounds pretty damn "in the room" when you're actually "in the room" lol! I need another XLR cable so I can close mic it and make a better demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmL780fzgZs

Back
Top Bottom