USB Firmware V 1.14 BETA (Public Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there

Sinds I am using the AFX3 my android workstation solution didnt work properly anymore. Recording on Android and playing backingtracks over Android with usb C had a big latency. On the AFX2 it worked perfectly.

Thank you for the new fw @amandio , hope this fixes the Android latency issue.

Cheers 🍻

If you want perfect alignment, yeah you could use additional fixed offset - the 24-32 sample offset is small enough that you could skip it without much of an issue (as @GlennO mentioned).

Screenshot 2022-07-11 131833.png

For example I can use "Use audio driver reported latency" with Reaper, I set my ASIO buffer size to 64, safe mode off and additional offset of 16 for input and 8 for output and it comes up pretty much aligned (this is a click track source, routed to In USB->Out 2, track 2 captures OUT 2 (USB IN 3)

Screenshot 2022-07-11 132749.png
Ok now it's clear, thanks!

USB only loopback will not include DAC nor A/D latency so naturally it will be lower - this is just more of a FYI - i.e. hey everyone this is what I'm getting on my system. This is with a patch that looks like this:
Screenshot 2022-07-11 132925.png
Regarding this, since you mentioned two different numbers of samples on your previous post for the USB only loopback, I was just trying to understand if there was a difference between the two measurements or if it was just a typo (probably the latter)

Seen people mentioning NOT using AxeIII as their audio interface. Can someone elaborate - does this driver not help those of us who use it as an interface?

This USB Firmware made all my Marshall tones less organic.

🤪
On TGP the conversation would go something like:
Fingerbanger: Fractals amp sounds are too bright.
The Wizard of Blogs: I've always found them too be to dark.
Geartuber: There amp modals have to many low mids.
Less Tall: Ive awlays found them to have not enuf low mids.
Vinnie Boombatz: Real toob amps rool. You digital guys are stoopid.

Regarding this, since you mentioned two different numbers of samples on your previous post for the USB only loopback, I was just trying to understand if there was a difference between the two measurements or if it was just a typo (probably the latter)
The first is USB to physical cable from out 3 to in 3 then back to USB - that’s why I’m saying it includes DAC + A/D converter latency.

The second measurement is USB loop back only.

Yepp....they just worked right from the start, shame on them...... (didn't know the other yet "unnamed" company, but I'm sure there must be one out in the world.......) ;)

Thanks FAS, looking forward for a final version. Much thx.....

I initially misread your post just before sleeping, but rereading it I disagree with you here; here’s why: I never worried about realtime plugin integration with the Axe-FX III because the unit is so sublime for its core design. For my use case, I would record quick snippets and play a loop to create an IR, no big deal. To me, what Fractal has right from the start is believable models you can trust with the ability to mod to hell and back, and the ability to monitor every superlative quality model in the unit itself realtime with or without another computer. I consider this beta gravy, not essential to what the unit is.

To me, any software that exists will have room for enhancements in the future, but from my understanding and my particular experience as an audiophile guitarist, no one is like Fractal when it comes to improving their products. I’ve submitted and glommed onto a lot of wishlist requests, but that doesn’t mean I think the Axe-FX III is lacking or screwed something up from the get go; it means I think it’s the greatest thing out there, and, because this company actually cares about improvement, maybe some personal wish of mine would make its way in there someday to make it even cooler, not bring it from substandard to acceptable. I compare the Axe to a collection of great tube amps, many of which I’ll probably never come across, and that is the core of it, not realtime USB integration.

I’ve never seen the kind of fanatical attention to amp behavior that is underlined in each iteration of the firmware. I don’t think you’ll ever see software that does everything everyone wants the way they want it all the time. It’s human design trying to fill a desire, and it will always have room for enhancement, so you really have to weigh what matters to you most, and how well that software fulfills the stuff you need.

Anecdotally, I have not seen other engineers excitedly come to their own forum to talk about small hour revelations regarding voice coil behavior. It’s that kind of stuff that makes me never question the core of what this is, a superior replacement for a Bob Bradshaw system, the pinnacle of nerdy guitar desires. I mean it humbly, but earnestly: to me no company does it better.

Last edited:
Rodney Dangerfield's doctor is on TGP?? :D

The first is USB to physical cable from out 3 to in 3 then back to USB - that’s why I’m saying it includes DAC + A/D converter latency.

The second measurement is USB loop back only.

Ok, I got that part, but I was talking about these two sentences 😅

The Axe-Fx III now seems to just add about 32 samples of latency on USB loopback

For USB only loopback I'm measuring 176 samples

But after reading it for the Nth time I think I now understand what you were saying: USB loopback latency is 176 samples of which only 32 samples are imputable to the axe fx onboard buffer, the rest is the buffer on the PC side.

What I was reading previously was:
"Axe fx usb loopback latency is 32 samples.
Axe fx usb loopback latency is 176 samples"
So that made no sense to me.
Anyway... nevermind 😁

I initially misread your post just before sleeping, but rereading it I disagree with you here; here’s why: I never worried about realtime plugin integration with the Axe-FX III because the unit is so sublime for its core design. For my use case, I would record quick snippets and play a loop to create an IR, no big deal. To me, what Fractal has right from the start is believable models you can trust with the ability to mod to hell and back, and the ability to monitor every superlative quality model in the unit itself realtime with or without another computer. I consider this beta gravy, not essential to what the unit is.

To me, any software that exists will have room for enhancements in the future, but from my understanding and my particular experience as an audiophile guitarist, no one is like Fractal when it comes to improving their products. I’ve submitted and glommed onto a lot of wishlist requests, but that doesn’t mean I think the Axe-FX III is lacking or screwed something up from the get go; it means I think it’s the greatest thing out there, and, because this company actually cares about improvement, maybe some personal wish of mine would make its way in there someday to make it even cooler, not bring it from substandard to acceptable. I compare the Axe to a collection of great tube amps, many of which I’ll probably never come across, and that is the core of it, not realtime USB integration.

I’ve never seen the kind of fanatical attention to amp behavior that is underlined in each iteration of the firmware. I don’t think you’ll ever see software that does everything everyone wants the way they want it all the time. It’s human design trying to fill a desire, and it will always have room for enhancement, so you really have to weigh what matters to you most, and how well that software fulfills the stuff you need.

Anecdotally, I have not seen other engineers excitedly come to their own forum to talk about small hour revelations regarding voice coil behavior. It’s that kind of stuff that makes me never question the core of what this is, a superior replacement for a Bob Bradshaw system, the pinnacle of nerdy guitar desires. I mean it humbly, but earnestly: to me no company does it better.
I guess you still misread my post. The point is - why do we call this a Beta of a Beta? Why do we call this even a public beta? PS: I know what a beta version is...... ;) On my behalf, I never reamped with the AF3, I use my AF3 as a great realtime modeling device in my sound lab. And I'm still at 19.06 because it works for me and I usualy update a few weeks after the public betas....... same goes for the rest of gear in my sound lab.....

Thanks for all the guys who are willing to do "public beta testing" - I'm waiting for the finals. And yepp, I'll add myself to the praise and thankyou-encores as soon as we have the finals.
Some companies not even have a public beta trial - but since I'm not using it, I can't blame other "unnamed" companies for not doing something, they might never did for a reason..... hope you get it this time, thx....

I don't know man, that mock conversation seems a little too civil and "on task."

I wanted to quickly report my experiences as a MacOS user who has always had issues losing audio on the Axe-FX when connecting the device via a docking station.

I use a Caldigit TS4 dock with my MBP and if I connect my Axe to the TS4 instead of directly, after some time (5 minutes to an hour), the audio output of the mac routed through the Axe would just stop. The device was still recognized and Axe-Edit continued to work - just no audio. The only way to fix it was to reboot the Axe FX. If I connected the Axe directly to the MBP using a USB>USB-C adapter, it would work OK. So there was some incompatibility between the TS4 and the Axe.

Good news:

So far after 12 hours with this beta firmware, I can report that I've had zero audio drop outs when using the dock. I figured I would give it another go and so far so good!! :cool:

Double-check in Windows audio settings that the AXE FX III is not set to the default audio device for playback and record. Otherwise, Windows will use your AXE FX anytime it needs to play audio, e.g., new mail notification.
Just for clarification, is there any problem with using the III as the default Windows audio device? It's set up like that in my case as the Axe FX is the only audio device connected to my PC, and I want to use the same pair of studio monitors for PC sound as well as guitar sound. Thus far I had practically no issues with this setup except for a handful audio dropouts, which were so rare that I can't even remember when the last one was (might have been with an USB FW older than 1.11)...

Just for clarification, is there any problem with using the III as the default Windows audio device? It's set up like that in my case as the Axe FX is the only audio device connected to my PC, and I want to use the same pair of studio monitors for PC sound as well as guitar sound. Thus far I had practically no issues with this setup except for a handful audio dropouts, which were so rare that I can't even remember when the last one was (might have been with an USB FW older than 1.11)...
Sure, that works fine. You may not have noticed it, but there were audio alignment problems in your recordings in the past. For information about how to set this up, see the recording guide: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/daws-and-recording.135/

…So there was some incompatibility between the TS4 and the Axe.

Good news:

So far after 12 hours with this beta firmware, I can report that I've had zero audio drop outs when using the dock. I figured I would give it another go and so far so good!! :cool:
@Grantgochnauer
Wow, I ordered a TS4 almost a month ago, to use with my MacMini M1, and am waiting for the back order to fill. As I began reading your post, I started wondering if I should kill my order. Glad to get to your feedback on this USB update, and read the current status. 👍

Cheers
Lee

Ok, I got that part, but I was talking about these two sentences 😅

But after reading it for the Nth time I think I now understand what you were saying: USB loopback latency is 176 samples of which only 32 samples are imputable to the axe fx onboard buffer, the rest is the buffer on the PC side.

What I was reading previously was:
"Axe fx usb loopback latency is 32 samples.
Axe fx usb loopback latency is 176 samples"
So that made no sense to me.
Anyway... nevermind 😁
oh I see - yes, that's what I was trying to say - in my setup using the lowest ASIO buffer setting available I get a total of 176 samples with windows 11 - out of which 32 samples com from the Axe-Fx III itself (I just did the math between the number of total samples reported by ASIO and what was measured).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom