USB Firmware V 1.14 BETA (Public Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Axe-Fx III now seems to just add about 32 samples of latency on USB loopback (which was the equivalent of setting USB Buffer size to 8 before). I'm sure Fractal will add that fixed offset to their windows driver at some point, since it's no longer user configurable, no need to actually report anything from the unit - but the value is small so most won't notice anyway.
So just to be clear, that's the value we should use as DAW latency compensation to have perfect alignment when reamping, right?

EDIT: why at the end of your post do you mention a different number of samples for usb loopback as well? Is the first with just shunts and the latter with amp and cab blocks?

Last edited:
So just to be clear, that's the value we should use as DAW latency compensation to have perfect alignment when reamping, right?

With this version, there's usually no need to use the offset preference in your DAW. Most people can simply leave it set to zero. You will get a small amount of misalignment...that's to be expected when using outboard gear, but in most cases it will be insignificant.

I've done a little testing and this beta version is significantly better than 1.11. However, I'm still getting audio artifacts that didn't happen a year or so ago when I used the Axe for recording and practice. I don't know if my setup is "right" or "wrong", but it used to work with no artifacts.

My setup is the following: I use Windows 10. I have the Axe FX 3 connected via USB. I route the Windows sound to the Axe FX 3, then use the headphones output jack on the front to listen to both the Windows sounds and Axe FX 3. In the past, I used the setup to practice without amplification with backing tracks as well as my guitar presets/scenes.

Previously, it was pristine sound with minimal to 0 artifacts. While the delay issues, and sometimes complete audio dropout requiring a reboot is now gone, I have significant clicking or other sound issues from the Windows side of things. There's clicking, sometimes a total drop out, and other times one ear will drop or the other.

I attempted a full system reboot with minimal software running and encountered the same issues.

I ran the install procedure and it went OK but I did not get a dialog box at the end of the process. Ran it again, same result. However my Axe-Fx III does say that 1.14 Beta has been loaded. I'm using an M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur.

I've done a little testing and this beta version is significantly better than 1.11. However, I'm still getting audio artifacts that didn't happen a year or so ago when I used the Axe for recording and practice. I don't know if my setup is "right" or "wrong", but it used to work with no artifacts.

My setup is the following: I use Windows 10. I have the Axe FX 3 connected via USB. I route the Windows sound to the Axe FX 3, then use the headphones output jack on the front to listen to both the Windows sounds and Axe FX 3. In the past, I used the setup to practice without amplification with backing tracks as well as my guitar presets/scenes.

Previously, it was pristine sound with minimal to 0 artifacts. While the delay issues, and sometimes complete audio dropout requiring a reboot is now gone, I have significant clicking or other sound issues from the Windows side of things. There's clicking, sometimes a total drop out, and other times one ear will drop or the other.

I attempted a full system reboot with minimal software running and encountered the same issues.
Double-check in Windows audio settings that the AXE FX III is not set to the default audio device for playback and record. Otherwise, Windows will use your AXE FX anytime it needs to play audio, e.g., new mail notification.

What is the buffer setting in the ASIO control panel? You can try enabling safe mode and/or increasing the ASIO buffer size one step.

as @amandio mentioned, you may need to increase your ASIO buffer size. Too low of a setting will cause your CPU to have issues keeping up with everything in your DAW. This causes glitchy/crackly-type stuttering artifacts.

Also, if Windows switches around your sample rates (due to having the Axe-FX and another interface), it can cause weird issues like this. I have this problem on occasions b/c I monitor my Axe-FX (via spdif to my other interface) through monitors/headphones connected to another interface. If Windows randomly decides to change my non-Axe-FX interface to a different sample rate than 48k, I have issues. This will make all your audio sound kind of weird, almost like a chirpy-ness to the whole Axe-FX signal.

Last edited:
With this version, there's usually no need to use the offset preference in your DAW. Most people can simply leave it set to zero. You will get a small amount of misalignment...that's to be expected when using outboard gear, but in most cases it will be insignificant.
Ok I just measured it and it's a constant 23 samples now for me (just USB input block directly connected to out1 block, Cubase Pro 12 on Windows 11).
Great work @amandio !

as @amandio mentioned, you may need to increase your ASIO buffer size. Too low of a setting will cause your CPU to have issues keeping up with everything in your DAW. This causes glitchy/crackly-type stuttering artifacts.

Also, if Windows switches around your sample rates (due to having the Axe-FX and another interface), it can cause weird issues like this. I have this problem on occasions b/c I monitor my Axe-FX (via spdif to my other interface) through monitors/headphones connected to another interface. If Windows randomly decides to change my non-Axe-FX interface to a different sample rate than 48k, I have issues. This will make all your audio sound kind of weird, almost like a chirpy-ness to the whole Axe-FX signal.

You'll have to define what you mean by "another interface" as when I'm practicing, it's literally just Windows Media player out to my Axes FX via USB, and then playing with headphones via the Axe headphone jack.
But my original point I think is still very fair. I have not changed anything with my desktop computer, and I didn't used to have these problems and now I do. But, to try and cover all of the bases here, I retried working my way from 256 samples up to 2048 samples, with and without safe mode, and I have the same problem with cracks, left and right ear going out at different times, or even a complete drop out for a moment or two.

At this point, I'm recording with my Boss Katana Artist because I don't have any of these issues with it with the same exact setup. Sadly, it doesn't sound as good...but 0 audio issues trumps a tone I can get closer to via really good EQ.

But my original point I think is still very fair. I have not changed anything with my desktop computer, and I didn't used to have these problems and now I do. But, to try and cover all of the bases here, I retried working my way from 256 samples up to 2048 samples, with and without safe mode, and I have the same problem with cracks, left and right ear going out at different times, or even a complete drop out for a moment or two.
Just to be clear though, you've experienced this problem prior to this beta, is that correct?

This release is only for the AXE FX III. FM-9 is next on my list. Unfortunately, I cannot provide an ETA at the moment.
Excellent work! The FX3 seems to be a bit faster for regular preset management too. Is that expected, or am I dreaming?

I'm looking forward to seeing it on the FM9, and the FM3 eventually.

Just to be clear though, you've experience this problem prior to this beta, is that correct?

Only since 1.10 or 11 I believe, though it would eventually cut out completely and I'd have to reboot the Axe unit. So far, it's "better" as I haven't had the Axe completely drop all audio requiring a reboot, and the windows audio drop outs are manageable if I absolutely had to record with it. I was on an older version of the firmware a good while back when I didn't have any issues at all.

Only since 1.10 or 11 I believe, though it would eventually cut out completely and I'd have to reboot the Axe unit. So far, it's "better" as I haven't had the Axe completely drop all audio requiring a reboot, and the windows audio drop outs are manageable if I absolutely had to record with it. I was on an older version of the firmware a good while back when I didn't have any issues at all.
Gotcha, can you do me a favor and post this specific issue in a new topic (you can tag me if you'd like) or contact support? I'd be more than happy to help you with this problem, but I don't want to clog up this thread with issues that had already existed.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom