USB Firmware V 1.14 BETA (Public Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amandio

Hi All,

A new beta version of the USB Firmware, v 1.14 BETA, is available for testing on the AXE FX III. This beta addresses several issues regarding latency stability and the actual latency of the unit itself. Here is a brief summary of improvements/fixes:
  • Importing a preset no longer changes the latency
  • Latency no longer drifts when an audio stream is active in certain cases
  • (macOS only) Latency no longer changes after a period of time after powering on the unit
  • Overall latency of the unit itself has been reduced
NOTE: This beta version of firmware uses a fixed internal USB buffer size compared to previous releases which used a configurable USB buffer. Currently, the USB Buffer Size option on the front panel and in AXE Edit will have no effect. This is not the same as the buffer size you set in ASIO/macOS. Those are still configurable.

You can download the beta using the link below. Use Fractal Bot to update as usual.
USB Firmware v1.14 BETA Download

Since this beta focuses on latency improvements when using the AXE FX III as a USB audio interface, please test the USB audio input and output extensively where latency has been an issue, e.g., re-amping.

Thanks!!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Unlike DSP firmware, which changes sound and features, USB firmware changes the way your Axe-Fx III interacts with a computer. Version 1.14 includes improvements related to USB Audio latency and performance. This update is recommended for all Axe-Fx III units with USB versions older than 1.14.

To check your current version:
  • Press HOME
  • Press SETUP (push-knob E)
  • Select Utilities using the Nav buttons.
  • Press ENTER to show the Utilities menu.
  • Page right to the Version page.
  • Your USB firmware version is shown on the screen.
To install USB Firmware , please follow these instructions:
  1. Download and unzip the USB firmware update from:
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/USB/axefxiii_usb_rel_1p14BETA.syx
  2. Download and install Fractal-Bot from:
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/
    NOTE: Windows requires that you to install a driver first. Mac OS does not require a driver.
    IMPORTANT: Quit/Exit all audio/MIDI-related apps including Axe-Edit, any DAWs, Chrome, etc.
  3. Launch Fractal-Bot and install the new USB firmware.
    1. For Step 1, choose “Axe-Fx III”. You should see three green checks.
    2. For Step 2, Browse to the new USB firmware file (axefxiii_usb_rel_1p14BETA.syx) or drag and drop the file into the file box.
    3. For Step 3, press Begin. The file will transfer quickly. Fractal-Bot will show "Transfer Complete" when finished.
      NOTE: Unlike when installing DSP firmware, the Axe-Fx does not show a loading screen or special reboot message.
  4. Click OK in Fractal-Bot and then reboot the Axe-Fx III. Once the unit reboots, check your unit’s USB Firmware version using the process listed in the bulleted steps above these instructions.
If an upgrade fails for any reason, please first reboot all devices and simply try again.
If you require any help with this process, please reply to this thread or contact us via https://support.fractalaudio.com

Last edited:
So nomore layency or time shifting after a reamp? :)
That's right - the latency value is now fixed and stable - no more Axe-Fx III side USB Buffer size which simplifies things a lot.

I'm measuring a total loopback latency (Out 3->In3 so this includes DAC and A/D latency) of 232 samples/4.83ms - with an ASIO BUffer size of 8, safe mode off.

For USB only loopback (digital only) the total latency I'm measuring is 176 samples (3.667ms) with the same ASIO settings of 8, safe mode off - which is the lowest I've ever seen the Axe-Fx III USB interface do - fantastic job!

The Axe-Fx III itself seems to just add about 32 samples of latency (out of the total 176 I measured above) on USB loopback - I believe this was the equivalent of setting USB Buffer size to 8 in previous USB firmware versions. I'm sure Fractal will add that fixed offset to their windows driver at some point, since it's no longer user configurable, no need to actually report anything from the unit - but the value is small so most won't notice anyway.

yas smile GIF

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone who had a part in helping with this issue. Whether it be reporting the problems, troubleshooting, keeping threads going, testing, working on fixes, etc.

@amandio and @Admin M@ both worked with me EXTENSIVELY on troubleshooting my specific issue (the variable offset). It's really a testament to how great this company is.

Really looking forward to testing this all out soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom