Ultra Firmware Version 9.00 Released

Wow Cliff, this is really something. The amp blocks just got more 3D and full of juice; from Fenders with cranked masters and low drive settings to the mighty JCM800 and Bogner with Masters at 5 and the preamp up. Even in headphones, it's palpable. That's a major achievement.

The Plexi2 amp model block has always felt 'thin' to me; now it's phat like your aunt that lives next to a KFC. Just dripping in harmonics.

Can't wait to have a clear head and crank these up properly.

Many Thanks Cliff!
The Vibe sound really, really good! I a/b'd to my FT Deja-vibe and was blown away as to how accurate the axe sounds. Guess I shouldn't be since you used a FT as the bench mark.

Also tested the SLO and it sounds amazing! The change in tone and responsiveness is quite noticeably. It's amazing! I'm a huge Gov't Mule fan, and I was able to dial in Warren Haynes type tone without much effort at all. Now if I could only play like him.

Thank You!

Chris

Is it necessary to load the new 9.00 presets banks or can the same thing be achieved from the Axe's utility window using 'Update all Presets' function' after updating the firmware to 9.00? This has always been a bit confusing to me.
Thanks Cliff for your amazing product and updates.!!! :geek:

JOHNNYROCKIT said:
Is it necessary to load the new 9.00 presets banks or can the same thing be achieved from the Axe's utility window using 'Update all Presets' function' after updating the firmware to 9.00? This has always been a bit confusing to me.
Thanks Cliff for your amazing product and updates.!!! :geek:

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the "Update All Presets" has to do with updating the "internal format" of the presets. What I plan to do and what I'd recommend is to update the firmware to 9.00 and then send the new banks in. Of course, if you have any of your own presets or have modded the existing ones that come in the banks that Fractal supplies BACK THOSE UP before overwriting anything.

FML I'm still trying to get my head around the basics of this thing and now there's more parameters, the fun just never ends :p

Every piece of gear I've owned I've gotten bored with, not this thing...

AXE-FX FTW.

'Nuff Said.

Thank You Fractal Audio.

:D

Regarding the cold-biased 39K cathode, the SLO was the first to use this to get that constant, asymmetrical clipping. The Mesa Dual Recto and Peavey 5150 ripped off the SLO preamp design, so these models should be affected as well in the update. The only other one I know of that stole a lot from the SLO including the 39K value is the Hughes and Kettner Triamp, but it isn't modeled here. The JCM800 uses a 10K on the second stage, which is on the cold side, but not nearly as dramatic as the 39K; perhaps it will benefit a bit as well. The Bogner Ecstasy may have a 10K in there too.

JR

Ok. Now it may just be that I'm "on" tonight or something but I just got my mind blown playing this new fw. I am serious, everything sounded so much more alive and real and it felt UNBELIEVABLE. It's too early to tell what is really going on here but I seriously got that overwhelming rush of emotions feeling and was so inspired that I was nailing EVERYTHING while playing tonight. Cliff, I want to thank you for that. Can't remember the last time I've felt like this. Granted, it was a very long day today and it could be that I am just exhausted and as a result suffering from temporary insanity, but if this thing sounds and feels this good tomorrow I am going to shit myself. My experience tonight is exactly what I've been waiting and searching for.

Ringleader said:
Ok. Now it may just be that I'm "on" tonight or something but I just got my mind blown playing this new fw. I am serious, everything sounded so much more alive and real and it felt UNBELIEVABLE. It's too early to tell what is really going on here but I seriously got that overwhelming rush of emotions feeling and was so inspired that I was nailing EVERYTHING while playing tonight. Cliff, I want to thank you for that. Can't remember the last time I've felt like this. Granted, it was a very long day today and it could be that I am just exhausted and as a result suffering from temporary insanity, but if this thing sounds and feels this good tomorrow I am going to shit myself. My experience tonight is exactly what I've been waiting and searching for.
You know it's funny...I had that same feeling today and I haven't even updated yet.

All my patches were just sounding so perfect for some reason. It made me shred the heck out of my axe. I haven't played/sounded that well in weeks.

Rogue said:
9-Pin said:
+1 :mrgreen:
+2

This will be my first update since I bought it. A little nervous about that, BUT...look forward to it. :mrgreen:
Every time I do the update I am scared shitless it's gonna fry the unit. :(
Haven't so far though. BTW, thanks for the update Clifford.

Ringleader said:
I am going to shit myself.
:shock: Stand clear folks, this could get messy! :lol:

Man, you guys are making me wish i could cancel my shows this week just so i can update!!! Stop posting such glowing comments please..... ;)

Ringleader said:
... suffering from temporary insanity...

... but if this thing sounds and feels this good tomorrow I am going to shit myself.

...My experience tonight is exactly what I've been waiting and searching for.

Ahha, So I am not the only one I guess :lol:

But seriously ... GAME OVER.

This one is just awesome. Whatever epiphanies Cliff had - this is it. Definite keeper. I am in love with this thing all over again.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Mik.

I'm in reverb nirvana.

I used to use 2 reverbs in EVERY patch. One module was completely devoted to early reflection (less than 0.5 seconds) and the second module I used for long reverb.

Not anymore!

Now that I can separate the early reflection from the reverb with a predelay applied only to the long reverb, I can use ONE reverb module to get both my "room" sound as well as my reverb.

The new reverb parameters rock, thanks for all the hard work Cliff, I know it's appreciated by all of us who own an AXE(s). I've never owned a processor where the manufacturer kept giving me upgrades for FREE! A software company would want a couple hundred bucks for new amp models.

Stephen Cole

What can I say... how can you keep making this thing better and better. It was already great and this new firmware really ups the bar. I've been digging the Soldano lately and it definitely has more growl. I also did a Matchless patch based on Scott's instructions in another thread and this new firmware made it even better (after tweaking some things of course).

I don't play live, but the faster switching is definitely a plus as well. It's got much faster switching than anything else I've used in the past. I don't even really detect the gap any more unless I really club-foot it in the middle of a note or something. Even then it's so quick it's barely noticeable.

Thanks Cliff!!

p.s. To those who can't update because you've got a gig... it's really not that great... you aren't missing out on anything!

Back
Top Bottom