Tuner: do you want the magic ball removed?

Do you want the Magic 8-ball removed?

• Yes, I do want it to be removed.

Votes: 38 10.4%
  • No, I like it.

Votes: 326 89.6%

• Total voters
How childish is that? As an AxeFx user I am disgusted that this over the top and very expensive machine hasnt got a decent tuner. Every tuner I plug in is by far more accurate and stable than yours. I dont care for the 8-ball but an accurate tuner is needed. Not even speaking about the one on the MFC... absolutely ashaming, an evident project fault, something you can obviously not correct. You have done great things on this machine and I thank you for this. You have got my money. Maybe start thinking about your reactions on customers opinions, many of them are not that stupid, they see your mistakes... and at the end it´s all good.

Ohhh the irony! :roll

How childish is that? As an AxeFx user I am disgusted that this over the top and very expensive machine hasnt got a decent tuner. Every tuner I plug in is by far more accurate and stable than yours. I dont care for the 8-ball but an accurate tuner is needed. Not even speaking about the one on the MFC... absolutely ashaming, an evident project fault, something you can obviously not correct. You have done great things on this machine and I thank you for this. You have got my money. Maybe start thinking about your reactions on customers opinions, many of them are not that stupid, they see your mistakes... and at the end it´s all good.

This entire post seemed unnecessary.

I'll say it again. Maybe I'll make up a little video tonight.

Change your strings. Check your intonation! I had procrastinated setting up several of my guitars. I did so with a fret dress as well and there are no more issues with the tuner. Previously I had a difficult time with the B (5th) an E (6th) strings. The tuner was all over the place. Using the 8 ball wasn't even a question as I seriously had a difficult time with standard interface jumping. Since properly setting up the tuner is spot on with no jitters and the 8 ball simply refines that accuracy.

I just pulled out another guitar in need of a setup and guess what? Jitters all over the standard tuner interface and especially on the B and E strings and an 8 ball that jumps more than rolls.

LONG LIVE THE 8 BALL!!!

I'll say it again. The high B was completely unstable for me prior to 7. It was better at 7. It is 100% rock solid stable and accurate at 7.01. It wasn't my setup. No jumpy or jittery behavior now. 100% rock solid.
i'm not for or against the 8 ball, but the tuner 7.01 is better than it has ever been, 8 ball or not.

Last edited:
I'll say it again. The high B was completely unstable for me prior to 7. It was better at 7. It is 100% rock solid stable and accurate at 7.01. It wasn't my setup. No jumpy or jittery behavior now. 100% rock solid.
i'm not for or against the 8 ball, but the tuner 7.01 is better than it has ever been, 8 ball or not.
The high B and E were always unstable for me. Since others stated the same I assumed it was the tuner. However I did get my setups done and it is like night and day. The B string jumps a tad but nothing like before and the 8 ball actually moves one direction or the other instead of jumping all over the place. So apparently, in my case it was combination of the two. If it's improved then all the better!

My comments were not meant to discredit anyone so I hope nobody took it that way. I was just astonished at how much cleaner it got with a long ago needed proper setup. Plugging in a guitar I know needs a setup produces similar results to what I was seeing earlier so I thought I would mention it as there seems to be a wide range of experiences described here.

All is good!

The high B and E were always unstable for me. Since others stated the same I assumed it was the tuner. However I did get my setups done and it is like night and day. The B string jumps a tad but nothing like before and the 8 ball actually moves one direction or the other instead of jumping all over the place. So apparently, in my case it was combination of the two. If it's improved then all the better!

My comments were not meant to discredit anyone so I hope nobody took it that way. I was just astonished at how much cleaner it got with a long ago needed proper setup. Plugging in a guitar I know needs a setup produces similar results to what I was seeing earlier so I thought I would mention it as there seems to be a wide range of experiences described here.

All is good!
It doesn't jump at all now. It is completely stable for me in 7.01. I think everyone will be happy with how smooth it is now.

It doesn't jump at all now. It is completely stable for me in 7.01. I think everyone will be happy with how smooth it is now.

One can hope, but I think that would probably be a first.

I could tune my guitars with the old tuner, and the one before that...and the one before that.....

I used to be able to tune my guitars without a tuner at all !!

lol..not picking on anyone, I just wanted to post and say I like the 8 ball and I also almost voted wrong.

I use Strobosoft on my DAW (studio) and find most convienient but the AX tuner (8 ball) is very good... I also have a stroboflip when not at DAW... I'm an 8 ball fan (or a horizontal whte/black striped/banded roller .... like a slot machine...not a strobe disk but similar)...

Both are great (the Stobosoft uses PC clock and must be calibrated, stable after that)... the AX is also very good.

I intentionally tune my G about 3-4 cents flat to make up for some sharp pulling in the low fret (2-7) area... I guess I could do the Feiten nut, or lower the slot a tad...but this works (not all of my guitars have this issue)...

AX is great as is the support, thanks Cliff and company...

I thought the issue people were complaining about was instability some people were seeing on the tuner, both on the 8 ball and on the regular bar. It worked well for me and I didn't see any instability with my guitars, but I understand people's frustration if they were seeing problems. But I didn't think it was specific to the ball. Was there ever really anything wrong or any issues with the ball itself?

I think everyone will (should) calm down about the tuner. If you still want to use another tuner, fine. That's your choice. But the issues have been ironed out with 7.1.

So, with the "ops.. I voted wrong", actually we are 22 (24-2) ball-haters vs 178 ball-campers.

@javajunkie: try to check the nut slot on your B string and the saddle. And try to listen to it unplugged for a "sitar" artifact. I bet your nut, or saddle, slot isn't OK.

Please keep, or add the 8-ball back in, on the tuner. I personally think it was a cool addition.

I don't give a f**k about the 8 ball!! I never look at it. As long as the high E & B strings no longer jump around then all is good.

I like using the 8 ball for fine tuning as well. Sorry to see it's on the scrap list for fw 7.01.

Back
Top Bottom