"Tone Matching" Preview

Yup, agreed about skipping #3. I kind of alluded to it in my last sentence, but didn't give it the respect it deserves. I don't think I'm capable of playing straight-up covers. I just don't have the discipline. Before I know it I'm adding my own notes, riffs, feel, etc. Can't control myself I guess.

Interesting discussion for me as I play in two cover bands, but I'm not the type who can really go for the exact note-for-note and tone-for-tone approach. Like others have said, it's just not me. Nothing against those who do. We're just different animals.

I think you forgot option 3: cover the song but make it your own.

The Cure - Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Tribute - YouTube

Sorry to be OT, "Experience Hendrix" is an incredible tribute album with a lot of artists 'owning' their Hendrix cover.

P.M. Dawn was also a stand out.

P. M. Dawn - You Got Me Floating - Jimi Hendrix Tribute - YouTube

And Pat Metheny sounding nothing like himself uses a sample of Jaco Pastorious on Third Stone From the Sun, turning the track in the a Hendrix and Pastorious tribute.

THIRD STONE FROM THE SUN / PAT METHENY (JIMI HENDRIX COVER) - YouTube

OK. Back to the thread.

Sorry to be OT, "Experience Hendrix" is an incredible tribute album with a lot of artists 'owning' their Hendrix cover.

P.M. Dawn was also a stand out.

P. M. Dawn - You Got Me Floating - Jimi Hendrix Tribute - YouTube

And Pat Metheny sounding nothing like himself uses a sample of Jaco Pastorious on Third Stone From the Sun, turning the track in the a Hendrix and Pastorious tribute.

THIRD STONE FROM THE SUN / PAT METHENY (JIMI HENDRIX COVER) - YouTube

OK. Back to the thread.
I thought that I was one of the few that really liked that album. As silly as this may sound I think that the Bold As Love and Spanish Castle Magic are fantastic....not really a fan of either band that covered them, but they knocked them out of the park IMHO.

Wish I could like this one about a googol more times. For more than one reason.

Yes, the hundreds of millions of fans who were into prog rock - according to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame people, those hundreds of millions just do not get it. Its not about creativity, musical artistry or any of that stuff. Its about being the darling of the industry. Add Kansas, go ahead, listen to "Apercu" - just unacceptable from the standpoint of being properly average. Add BOC for being too progressive lyrically and stylistically.

Lest the world forget, "Rush's sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band." That's right, the musical propeller heads in the band Rush have come in ahead of the number 4 in that category. So I guess Rush isn't even close to being acceptable until they overtake the Beatles and Stones.

I would like to tone match the "Moonchild" guitar by Fripp and broadcast it into the brain of whoever is deciding all that BS until they get so depressed they turn over the duties to more fair minded, tasteful types that respect actual artists.

Last edited:
Just my $.02 since we're pretty off topic already. We play covers and originals. Some of the covers we stretch out musically and improvise, some we try to play note-for-note. I can certainly understand why people are not interested in note-for note covers and want to do their own thing, but if I see a cover band in a bar play Rush's Limelight, I want it to sound like Limelight.

Yes, the hundreds of millions of fans who were into prog rock - according to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame people, those hundreds of millions just do not get it. Its not about creativity, musical artistry or any of that stuff. Its about being the darling of the industry. Add Kansas, go ahead, listen to "Apercu" - just unacceptable from the standpoint of being properly average. Add BOC for being too progressive lyrically and stylistically.

Lest the world forget, "Rush's sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band." That's right, the musical propeller heads in the band Rush have come in ahead of the number 4 in that category. So I guess Rush isn't even close to being acceptable until they overtake the Beatles and Stones.
It might help with this apparent aggravation to take the view that this (like any other hall of fame I can think of right now) is meaningless BS and who does or doesn't get in affects your life in no way whatsoever.

Sorry for the OT, but this thread is probably lost anyway until further official announcements.

Great ! But I just sold my last tube amp; if I'd known this before I'd have kept it a month or two more...That's life !

I wonder how much the Axe Fx II will "do by itsself". What I mean is, if I want to match , lets say a Mesa Boogie, will it do that from scratch, like with the cabinet feature, or do I have to select a Mesa model in the Axe, that will be tweaked to where the matched amp is. If it would be that way, exotic amps could not be matched... since a certain manufacturer from germany can do it from scratch, I presume the Axe will as well, but I was wondering.
Will you have the ability to change the cabinet afterwards? And Eqs and sagging etc, just like with any amp-modell, in the axe-fx?
But it gets even more complicated with "tone matching". Guitar tones on CDs are the product of much studio work and stuff, so I really wonder how that is going to be replicated. If this will really work as simple as "hit match button - play guitar track - done" this would be... ridicoulus... just...

I wonder how much the Axe Fx II will "do by itsself". What I mean is, if I want to match , lets say a Mesa Boogie, will it do that from scratch, like with the cabinet feature, or do I have to select a Mesa model in the Axe, that will be tweaked to where the matched amp is. If it would be that way, exotic amps could not be matched... since a certain manufacturer from germany can do it from scratch, I presume the Axe will as well, but I was wondering.

I have about a dozen amps that don't have models in the Axe. I had surmised, based on posts elsewhere in the forum, that those amps could be "matched", but one of the first steps in the process would be to select as close of an approximation as possible from the list of amps the Axe does have. I guess the matching process works its magic from there.

Will you have the ability to change the cabinet afterwards? And Eqs and sagging etc, just like with any amp-modell, in the axe-fx?
But it gets even more complicated with "tone matching". Guitar tones on CDs are the product of much studio work and stuff, so I really wonder how that is going to be replicated. If this will really work as simple as "hit match button - play guitar track - done" this would be... ridicoulus... just...

In my understanding the sound of an Amp is defined by two mainly things: 1) the dynamic response includes the reaction of gain-stations 2) the frequency curve which defines the "tone". this frequency curve depends much on the eq filters like the Amp EQ and real guitar cab or CAB IR (which is nothing but a high resolution EQ filter). Correct me, if i am wrong.

The german competitor seems to analyise both 1) AND 2) to "copy" the hole Amp. The Axe FX goes another route: The dynamic response is done by Modeling the physical layout of an Amp. The upcoming tone-Match Block will correct 2) -> the frequency curve, so to say the "tone". It is EQ-matching: the block analyise the tone content from the device or sound you`ll want to copy and analyse also the tone (frequency response) of your Axe FX signal route (AMP / EQ / CAB ). Than it comes to the "match": the tone-match block generates from those two frequency responses a automated EQ setting, which compensate the axe-routing frequency to sound like the frequency of the content, you`ll want to "copy". because of that, Eq settings, cab ir and Amp EQ controls will be also compensated. In other words: You can (but you must not) put cab blocks, eq blocks out of the routing, because the tone-matching block compensates to the Eq (frequency response) anyway ....

In my opinion the Axe FX has more than enough different Amps with more than enough "pictures" of different dynamic content ( a crunchy amp is an crunchy amp...) but the frequency response is key to identify wether it`s a fenderish or Marshallish sound ... right?!

That said the tone-matching feature (plus an external ???? carrier signal like a sine sweep as carrier signal to analyse frequency responses) plus the amp blocks in the axe will bring you to very similiar results what the box from the german competitor can do.

For sure: It´s a bit more work, because you have to pre-define the right amp and gaining BUT: To change the sound after that (more, less gain, AMP EQ) the Axe will have the big advantage to model individual gain and EQ staging per amp. The german competitors EQ for example reacts always the same, no matter what amp is captured ....

So in fact: The axe will not sound better or more original with tone-matching, but it is a powerful tool to match a certain sound you want to have in your axe fx .... without try and error tweaking EQs ....

Again: Correct me, if i am wrong! Sorry for the bad english .... i am german ... :D

I'm wondering if I Amp match an amp at a high gain setting am I limited to that amount gain? Will we be able to achieve that amps low gain sound simply by turning the gain down in the amp model? Conversely, will we be able to amp match a low gain sound and then be able to turn the gain up and have the amps high gain sound?

Make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sense. The Gain comes from the Amp block! Has nothing to do with tone-matching, errr ... frequency matching .... errrr ... eq-matching. tone matching is NOT gain-matching ;)

Back
Top Bottom