The New Bright Knob

We wouldn't even have this conversation if the model was 100% right, now you see the point...

These are just my thoughts about this Triaxis/Bright knob thing, I'm using the IIC+ anyways so I'm OK with this :D

The model IS right now.
It wasn't right before IMO because it didn't have this new control.
Before, there was no "realistic" (for want of a better word) way to lower the simulation of the real Triaxis' Presence control from within the Amp Block other than using the EQ page (which never never sounded wholly right to me) that I am aware of.
Now there is.

The Triaxis rig modelled in the Axe is the only amp modelled in the Axe that has a pre-power-amp Presence control.
Cliff just decided to make the Bright control available on all the Axe's amp sims, not just the Triaxis sims.
He implemented it in the best way possible as far as I can see.
And it wouldn't have made any sense to call it a "Presence" control because the amp block already has one of those in the power amp sim.

I really don't see how your criticisms make any sense.
Sorry.
Maybe I'm missing some point of yours.
If so, what is it please?

So does this have any use on amps other than the Triaxis?

Also, I saw the technical description above, but can someone explain in simpler, practical, terms the difference between this, the bright switch, the treble knob and the presence knob?

Thanks.
They all work on different parts of the circuit. My understanding:

Bright switch - models a cap on the drive pot which allows some higher frequencies to pass through the drive knob while others are attenuated causing an overall brighter sound. Greatest effect when drive values are lower & no effect when on max. Affected by value of the cap (which can be altered in the Axe).
Treble knob - This control is part of the tone stack and it's affect is also dependent on tone stack position i.e. pre or post main distortion stages in preamp etc
Presence knob - part of the feedback circuit in the power amp stage - higher frequencies affected than treble knob.
New Brilliance knob - shelving filter just after the preamp (assume before phase inverter) & allows you to tweak the preamp output before entering the power amp

All work on differing high frequency content & in different circuit positions to provide more options for sculpting tone & overdrive characteristics.

The model IS right now.
It wasn't right before IMO because it didn't have this new control.
Before, there was no "realistic" (for want of a better word) way to lower the simulation of the real Triaxis' Presence control from within the Amp Block other than using the EQ page (which never never sounded wholly right to me) that I am aware of.
Now there is.

The Triaxis rig modelled in the Axe is the only amp modelled in the Axe that has a pre-power-amp Presence control.
Cliff just decided to make the Bright control available on all the Axe's amp sims, not just the Triaxis sims.
He implemented it in the best way possible as far as I can see.
And it wouldn't have made any sense to call it a "Presence" control because the amp block already has one of those in the power amp sim.

I really don't see how your criticisms make any sense.
Sorry.
Maybe I'm missing some point of yours.
If so, what is it please?

I could not have said it better myself.

I've used a triaxis, gforce combo for well over a decade before the axe. As per Cliff's recommendation I set the new brightness about 10 o'clock on my patch using usa lead 2 yellow. It definitely sounds better to me. A touch darker but seems to add the roundness in the low end that I remember from my old triaxis rig

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

The model IS right now.

He implemented it in the best way possible ...

Isn't evolution wonderful! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care who is right or wrong. I care less for people who never admit that they're not always right. IMO the right power amp for Triaxis is Mesa 2:90 or 2:100. That's the real issue here.

All I know is that in real life I always preferred Mesa amps but not in the Axe-Fx. Right now I can't get the Recto agressive sounding like it really is and I don't think the GEQ affects dynamics like it does in real life.

I'm in Mesa hate mode right now. I want less controls and the right sound. :D

They all work on different parts of the circuit. My understanding:

Bright switch - models a cap on the drive pot which allows some higher frequencies to pass through the drive knob while others are attenuated causing an overall brighter sound. Greatest effect when drive values are lower & no effect when on max. Affected by value of the cap (which can be altered in the Axe).
Treble knob - This control is part of the tone stack and it's affect is also dependent on tone stack position i.e. pre or post main distortion stages in preamp etc
Presence knob - part of the feedback circuit in the power amp stage - higher frequencies affected than treble knob.
New Brilliance knob - shelving filter just after the preamp (assume before phase inverter) & allows you to tweak the preamp output before entering the power amp

All work on differing high frequency content & in different circuit positions to provide more options for sculpting tone & overdrive characteristics.

4 or more options to tweak your highs in the amp block alone. Way too confusing for me! Hard to really understand how they all interact. I only use treble and presence. Hardly ever use the bright switch.

4 or more options to tweak your highs in the amp block alone. Way too confusing for me! Hard to really understand how they all interact. I only use treble and presence. Hardly ever use the bright switch.

Yet all those options exist in "real" amps too.

Some people want the Axe-Fx models to exactly be like the real amps. Others want it to provide every configurable option (see thread about keeping/deleting advanced controls).

Hard to please everyone.

Yet all those options exist in "real" amps too.

Some people want the Axe-Fx models to exactly be like the real amps. Others want it to provide every configurable option (see thread about keeping/deleting advanced controls).

Hard to please everyone.

The amps I have owned (and still own) only had a treble knob and some a bright switch which I never used.
True hard to please everyone. I am not complaining just saying that it is too confusing for me. I am a simple guy! ;)
Most off the times I only touch treble and presence because the bright switch makes it too harsh and noisy for me.

The point is, the product sounds really good, if you just use the normal amp knobs, IMHO. And the other guys can alter capacitors and transformer settings.

Until Matt comes to my house with his Macbook - I'm afraid to touch those settings.

Yeah sure but we should be able to discuss this stuff without things getting so dramatic. Every question turns into an arguement and it's not a sign of a healty environment when that happens.

I adjust the bright knob to full tilt and I must say I don't feel any smarter!
Was this added as a placebo?
;)

I like the options, even if I don't use them all, what if someday I needed too? Great tone has always been my desire. And the Axe II has that without having to own many amps, and cabinets. I do understand wanting to improve upon what we have now though and Am always for that, but Cliff has taken a lot of heat over the years and looking back now, I think most of it was pointless trolling, which doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom