The Axe FX could be 30% shorter

IMG_1503_Sm.JPG

As you can see, there is plenty of unused space inside
You think it was haphazardly designed with unused space?

I will bet you your Axe FX that there is a reason it is designed this way......likely for a few of the reasons noted above.

Congrats on voiding your warranty though.

You never want to mount a switching power supply over a board with analog electronics. For the best noise performance the supply should be mounted directly to the chassis as far away from the analog electronics (which are on the right) as possible. The Axe-Fx uses what is known as "partitioned design". All the noisy stuff (power supply, LCD, switching regulators, etc.) is in the lower left corner. All the quiet stuff is as far away as possible in the upper right corner.

I use partitioned design on all our products. It works so well that we almost always pass FCC and CE on the first try (well that and my secret low-inductance chassis edge-ground technique).

You never want to mount a switching power supply over a board with analog electronics. For the best noise performance the supply should be mounted directly to the chassis as far away from the analog electronics (which are on the right) as possible. The Axe-Fx uses what is known as "partitioned design". All the noisy stuff (power supply, LCD, switching regulators, etc.) is in the lower left corner. All the quiet stuff is as far away as possible in the upper right corner.

I use partitioned design on all our products. It works so well that we almost always pass FCC and CE on the first try (well that and my secret low-inductance chassis edge-ground technique).

Thanks. Makes sense.
What if the PSU is mounted on the top lid, on the left, just like that other guy did:
axe2newchassis4-jpg.19424

Freemind I don't think you really like FAS
First it was the price now this :D
Nah, I like FAS.
I am just a cheapskate, a pragmatic and a sceptic at heart.

You think it was haphazardly designed with unused space?
No. If it can be done better, but hasn't, that may mean it was done that way, because it was easier/quicker or cheaper to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if the PSU is mounted on the top lid, on the left, just like that other guy did:

You never want to mount a switching power supply over a board with analog electronics.
Even though the power supply would be suspended over the digital side of the board, there would be whole bunches of copper traces with line-of-sight to that noisy power supply. There's still low-level analog on the same board, and those traces would now be line-of-site as well.

Last edited:
I feel that these modifications were quite naive, in not having the experience in the mentioned proximity effects, noise etc.
eg. when digital meets analog The simplest way to say it..
Sure, not considering this, it's just a matter of mechanics, to make it smaller..

Last edited:
...No. If it can be done better, but hasn't, that may mean it was done that way, because it was easier/quicker or cheaper to do.

I'm going to go ahead and assume it can't be done better and that's why the case is the size it is. Feel free to disagree on the basis of...?
-
Austin

After closely looking at the case and the free space, I think it was intended to mount a wireless guitar receiver there. Looks to me like one would fit perfectly:D.

I think the size and weight of the AXE FX might be a psychological thing. In most products, weight and size mean quality
and high price. The real value of the AXE is in the software but people seem to think that software should be free or cheap.
I don't care if the AXE is as small as a postage stamp or as big as a house. It is the best sounding, most fun and most inspiring
piece of gear I have ever bought. It's amazing that parting with almost $4000 Canadian can seem like a bargain but after owning
it for a couple of months it still seems like it is the best deal I have ever had.

Some people might be concerned about the weight, but I don't think that this is a deal-breaker regarding sales

It's not a deal breaker at all.
The device is absolutely awesome, and this 30% shorter idea is just an extra convenience mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone in this thread have any experience designing and selling advanced programmable digital audio products????

(except for Fractal Audio Systems)

Last edited:
What if I told you that I know as a fact that at least one person on this thread designed VLSI for several generations of consumer electronics products that sold in extremely high volume, and some of this person's work actually did involve audio (although somewhat peripherally), and said person is (among other things) an electrical engineer?
What's with the secrecy?

What's with the secrecy?
It's a conspiracy, my brother. We can't tell you more until you've drunk the Secret Sauce. :)

It might also be kgk letting the individual out himself or not, a he sees fit.

Back
Top Bottom