That's enough amps for now, lets focus on fx for a bit...

no more new amps for a bit, let's focus on the fx!

• Total voters

simeon

Axe-Master
title says it all.

it'll take me a year to fully investigate all the amps we have and there have been some really good and interesting suggestions about improving/adding to the fx

as i'm primarily interested in fx and usually stick to only a few amps, i'd really like to see some of these ideas realised in the next firmware upgrade

an improved sequencer
a tape delay block
more quick picks
bitcrusher block
envelope block (or a way to set global or local in the existing controller)
an improved looper (separate from the main layout)

there are many more (sorry if i missed your suggestion - add them below and i'll add them up here)

sim

Re: That's enough amps for now, lets focus on fx for a bit..

If a bitcrusher or King of Tone is next, then more fx please...

Otherwise, new amps!

:twisted: :twisted:

If anyone could pull it off then probably Cliff... Meaning, I'd like to see/hear some really new effects, something that hasn't been done before and mangles your signal. Something to push the envelope of sound. Allmost ashamed to admit, but L6 actually managed to come up with some original stuff that's useable in the effects department.

So, definitely 'yes', especially on the improved Sequencer and Bitcrusher. Looper...I don't care that much for it and would rather get a dedicated unit running in the Axe's loop.

VegaBaby said:
Looper...I don't care that much for it and would rather get a dedicated unit running in the Axe's loop.

yes, i don't use the looper either, but lots of people have requested improvements.

the axe's loop could be improved also, as there's a tiny dropout when you select a new patch and you have a loop running

sim

At first thought, 50+ amps might seem like too many to ever use. But if other users are like me, they may find that only 4 or 5 really stand out as exceptional for their style. I'm glad the Orange was recently added. Auditioning all of them didn't take that long.

As far as effects, I have no desire or use for a bit crusher/mangler/lo-fi/decimator/etc. I always figured FAS expended great effort to distance digital audio from that sound. It’s just not for me. That sound fatigues my ears very quickly. I'd just as soon buy a box that makes my HD television picture extra pixilated and noisy.

I do understand why someone might want a digital $hitbox effect, given its prevalence in some of today's "music" (just kidding guys). It could allow a post-production/foley person to simulate one of those musical greeting cards or a talking toy. Beyond that, it escapes me. I want more bits, not fewer.

To me, a georgeous lo-fi sound is an old tape delay, an old film soundtrack, or my childhood phonograph.

I'm not voting, though more amp models are fine by me.

There are more than enough amps for me (and my tastes are quite diverse), so I'd welcome more
FX types/options/refinement. :D

Deff an improved looper with more time!! But also with grateful thanks for what has already been accomplished!! :D

You guys are crazy... we need more br00talz amps... ENGL SE, Herbert and especially the Mako4 Dorado channel... that preamp kills!!!

steadystate said:
I do understand why someone might want a digital $hitbox effect, given its prevalence in some of today's "music" (just kidding guys). It could allow a post-production/foley person to simulate one of those musical greeting cards or a talking toy. Beyond that, it escapes me. I want more bits, not fewer.

To me, a georgeous lo-fi sound is an old tape delay, an old film soundtrack, or my childhood phonograph.
I think the BitCrusher is just one effect people (including myself) have asked for a few times, so it may seem that all we want is 'lower-fi'. It's not necessarilly true though. There's some beautiful stuff out there with granular synthesis and so on and new effects don't need to degrade the tone as such, but I'm asking if your typical chorus, reverb, delay etc. is really all there is or can be ?
If companies would have thought like that 20/30 years ago, we'd still have tape delays and that's it. Just look at companies like Eventide or Electro Harmonix or even MXR and how far they pushed the envelope...

I wouldn't mind a focus on effects for a while.

You forgot option #3:
More FX AND Amps!
By the time it comes out, I will have exhausted all the sounds currently available (Maybe) :mrgreen:

If you guys have some VST's or other guitar processors that do effects that the Axe doesn't, we should make a list of them to give Cliff some ideas. Some have already been mentioned, but I'm sure there's some other really cool stuff out there. As for amps, I'd love to see maybe one more bass amp added just for variety, like an SWR maybe. Also, I liked the idea of adding more Engl amps. I voted yes on that one as well. It'd be nice to see that third option of adding both new effects and new amps, though adding amps at a slower pace maybe so the effects can be developed for a bit until a few new cool things have been added. If I had to choose between the two right now though, I'd go for new effects just out of personal preference.

VirgilGuitar said:
You forgot option #3:
More FX AND Amps!
By the time it comes out, I will have exhausted all the sounds currently available (Maybe) :mrgreen:

+1

DLM said:
If you guys have some VST's or other guitar processors that do effects that the Axe doesn't, we should make a list of them to give Cliff some ideas. Some have already been mentioned, but I'm sure there's some other really cool stuff out there. As for amps, I'd love to see maybe one more bass amp added just for variety, like an SWR maybe. Also, I liked the idea of adding more Engl amps. I voted yes on that one as well. It'd be nice to see that third option of adding both new effects and new amps, though adding amps at a slower pace maybe so the effects can be developed for a bit until a few new cool things have been added. If I had to choose between the two right now though, I'd go for new effects just out of personal preference.

this is what i'm talking about

simeon said:
DLM said:

this is what i'm talking about

That what this whole wish list forum is for. Giving Cliff ideas. :D
There are a ton of those things through out this forum.
One post with every idea, didn't work so well. That is why we created the forum.
individual ideas in individual post has worked a bit better.

ok, so just for kicks, let's talk about plugins and what might inspire new fx the axe. bearing in mind that a lot of the really radical ones employ the ability to "look ahead" along the recorded audio to enable them to do what they do.

but here are some of my favourite plugins / fx

granular synthesis - some of the Michael Norris plugins are excellent and the KT Granulator is great too
reorder / reverse / chop - love this stuff. SupaTrigga is a nice simple implementation of this
slice / filter - loads to choose from here. the adrenalinn plugin is nice, but i prefer the audiodamage stuff...it has a bit more "attitude". BigSeq and Replicant are fantastic and Automaton is almost too out there. for slicing without filtering, the Gateboy plugin is ace

Sugar Bytes make some interesting plugins - Efectrix, Vogue and Artillery are quite nice, but maybe a little too complex for the axe

I'm all for more effects as I bought the Axe as an effects unit. There's only one bass amp in there anyways, and adding more amps probably won't change that, so more effects would obviously be more useful :D

One effect I haven't even seen mentioned here was foldback distortion. it adds a synthy/envelope type of sound to distortions- Reason 4 has it, and there are some great effects pedals that offer it.

I'd love to see some gated or synthy fuzzes added to the Drive block- a Wolly Mammoth or Brassmaster sound for example. The fuzz on the MXR Blowtorch pedal would be wonderful, but most guitarists haven't heard of/use it, so I'm dreaming with that one :D

A user-friendly hold/freeze effect would be great. Some members have figured out ways to use a hold involving infinite feedback and ingain levels being altered by a switch/expression, but I haven't heard any examples of someone being able to make a clean, quick to use hold function that doesn't involve having an affected sound. The way the hold/freeze sound operates with a momentary switch on the Electro Harmonix Freeze pedal (and how it works with an expression pedal on the EHX HOG) is beautifully simple and effective.

Others have brought up that a few options added to the LFO could allow for realistic dubstep wobble effects.

Mimicking the sound of the Schumann PLL (a square wave generating analog harmonizer) would certainly be cool. Obviously a lot of the sound comes from the analog circuit, but I've heard it mimicked pretty well on some software before. Just can't recall where :roll:

And as mentioned, a bitcrusher would be greatly appreciated.

I'm generally into a lot of distortion sounds that go in a different direction than your typical guitar god drives/distortion sounds, and I think adding a couple to the Axe would add some useful variety.

A multiband-distortion, if it is possible.

Best regards

Back
Top Bottom