Stupid FC-6/FC-12 question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but it’s a hell of a lot of money to lay out on something that won’t do what I need in hope that one day it will.
And if it’s a ‘dumb’ controller adding MIDI capabilities would be more than a firmware update.

I think you misunderstood Cliff - it's not more than a firmware away since the midi block of the Axe III + FC6/12 resides inside the Axe III.

Anyway, you can continue to use your MFC or a cheap generic midi FC until the full feature set of the FC6/12 is known and decide by then, no need as it is to lay out money from the get go if you are unsure it they will fit you needs. My bet is that we'll know a lot more of the FC features before the Axe III comes out for sale in Europe.

I'm banking on the FC6/12 to be awesome once they are available to buy, so I'm just waiting patiently to see if the final feature set is one that works for me or if I'll have to go with something else like a RJM GT series board.

Given that Fractal designed the FCs with the ability to daisy chain them, I wouldn't expect them to make an additional bigger one. Just daisy chain them for your needs.

I wouldn't expect them to either - but I sure hope they will make a FC 18 (or 21).

Daisy chaining two FC12's will
1) be expensive and make the RJM GT 16/22 seem like a very attractive alternative
2) make for either a tall (and deep) layered pedalboard due to the shape of FC 12 with the angeled first row of buttons, or
3) a very wide pedal board - and regardless of 2) or 3)
4) a pedalboard where FASlink 2 can no longer power the entire board and thus a power cable would have to be included to the board

I love FAS and their products and have used them for 98-99% of my studio and touring needs since the early Ultra days.
I've bought 2 Ultras, 2 Axe II's, 2 Axe II XL+'s, 2 AX8's, 2 MFC's (incl FASlink adaptors for one), 2 EV-1s.
I'm sure the FC6/12 will be absolutely awesome when they exit beta testing, and I really really really want to buy a FAS FC - but I'm holding my decision on whether to get a FC 12 or a RJM GT board depending on the final feature set of the FC 12.
Sadly one of the features I'm most concerned about is "only" 12 foot switches - I know you can do paging, but I'd prefer to have more on the first page and avoid or at least reduce paging.

If FAS would bring a FC 18 (or 21) to the marked I'd buy one or 2 of those in the blink of an eye.

(@FractalAudio if you read this .... :) )

Last edited:
I believe you haven’t bought an Axe3 yet? Then you don’t need to buy an FC. There’s no obligation here.

I just don’t understand this continued attitude regarding a product you don’t have, seem to not want, and isn’t even released yet.
I am/was intending on buying - they are not over here yet though.... but before committing I need to know about the product and what it can/cant do as there is no 'grace period' so questions need to be asked. Through asking questions I have now discovered that the RGM pedals could be a better option as they seem to be more flexible than the FC - but still need to find out more info etc etc...
In the UK an Axe III and FC will be just shy of £4,000 ($5329.02) I cant afford to lay this much out to 'take a chance' on something.

if you want something that has similar features to the FC series and is a general MIDI controller, you can buy the RJM Mastermind GT series starting at $1299 for the smallest one, up to $1899 for the biggest one. those are more expensive than the MFC and have more features. so perhaps they fit the bill.
Do you know if the Mastermind LT will have support for AXE3 or is it just the GT series?

I am/was intending on buying - they are not over here yet though.... but before committing I need to know about the product and what it can/cant do as there is no 'grace period' so questions need to be asked. Through asking questions I have now discovered that the RGM pedals could be a better option as they seem to be more flexible than the FC - but still need to find out more info etc etc...
In the UK an Axe III and FC will be just shy of £4,000 ($5329.02) I cant afford to lay this much out to 'take a chance' on something.

You're very correct and right to be thorough. unfortunately, not all the answers are available just yet. Some people are working very hard to make these and the products available in all their glory. So hang tight. I'm pretty sure that anyone can wait a few weeks to get all the details and then make a correct decision. It's only gear. Not quite life and death. ;)

It sounds like you’re in a pretty good spot then! Seems like all you need to do now is keep enjoying your II and MFC and wait to see what comes of the FC before jumping.

Maybe, but it’s a hell of a lot of money to lay out on something that won’t do what I need in hope that one day it will.
And if it’s a ‘dumb’ controller adding MIDI capabilities would be more than a firmware update.

Adding simple MIDI capabilities would be easy. A button press could easily send a PC or CC message. That's the beauty of the dumb controller paradigm. It's a keyboard. What the host decides to do with the key presses is software definable.

You need to take off the poop-colored glasses. We have all this amazing technology and some people do nothing but complain.

Given that Fractal designed the FCs with the ability to daisy chain them, I wouldn't expect them to make an additional bigger one. Just daisy chain them for your needs.

Yes at $1400, a wall wart, and another cable. $700 is $300 too much in my opinion when Line 6 has a 12 switch squibble strip for $400 that does from me the exact same thing. I have a Helix also with 12 switch control. Layout wise I just want to press one button each time for a change. I have my Helix set up for 8 scenes and the rest, tap, manual to get to stomps, tuner and etc. With the 21 button of the MFC, I could have 8 scenes, 4 presets, 4 stomps, and the rest functions such as manual, tap, bank up and down and such. In my band I play guitar, keyboards, sing and mix sound. I only want to press one switch at any given time. Toe tapping on stage is unprofessional. I think the Axe 3 is worth every penny of the $2500, but the FC-12 is overpriced. Look, I know you guys don't like opinions here, so I will drop it.

Although I have no idea what's coming up in the future, I would guard against fixed ideas about how 12 switches are not enough.
I used the MFC for years and then got a LF12. I was worried about only 12 switches, but the programability of the unit made it more like having 24 switches in a very very easy manner. But it was a b..tch to program.
The FC will be so much easier to program and I am sure that by the time it is released, it will be incredibly functional. I am VERY excited at what lies ahead with these controllers.

In my band I play guitar, keyboards, sing and mix sound. I only want to press one switch at any given time. Toe tapping on stage is unprofessional.

You need to take off the poop-colored glasses. We have all this amazing technology and some people do nothing but complain.

Poop-coloured glasses?
I want to embrace the technology (and have so far) like most I want to be able to grow with this and take the opportunity of the new, however, so far all I know is that the New FC will not be able to do what the old MFC-101 does as far as MIDI capabilities, and the III has already had a £100 price increase in Europe and it’s not over here yet. I don’t need pooped coloured glasses to see that.
Now to close this -
I will keep an eye on what the F.C. can do via MIDI CC/PC etc... and keep my fingers crossed that it will offer or at least is capable of doing what the 101 does. If it can - I’m in.

In my band I play guitar, keyboards, sing and mix sound. I only want to press one switch at any given time. Toe tapping on stage is unprofessional.
just my opinion but if you can't get thru a song using 8 scenes "pressing one switch at any given moment" not even counting multiple instances of the same block with up to 4 channels each then somethings wacky.

just my opinion but if you can't get thru a song using 8 scenes "pressing one switch at any given moment" not even counting multiple instances of the same block with up to 4 channels each then somethings wacky.

Brian, we all have our ways of doing things. I don't use a lot of presets and so I have one preset cover many songs. If I used a preset for each song that would be correct for me. All my presets have the most effects I can put in them so I can use that one preset to cover 10 songs or so. That is what works for me with so many things to do on stage. I don't use that many different amps. It is mostly effect changes. If you only play guitar, then you can hit a scene and then hit a manual to change to stomp mode or preset mode. I can do a show with just 4 presets and cover anything out there with every effect I can load in there. I generally have several reverb, and delays, plus everything else I can get in there to keep everything organized. I don't have to memorize presets and have 4 presets doing everything and just change with scenes and stomps. In other words, one button push only for each change. With a 12 button unit, some songs would be fine, if it fix within my scenes. If not, would have to press a manual button to go to stomp mode and then hit what stomp I wanted. On a 12 button setup for me would be 8 scenes, bank up and down. tap and a manual function button. There is no room for stomps. For me all night long, on the 21 button format, I could do 8 scenes, 4 presets, 4 stomps, Function, tap, tune, bank up, bank down. All night long this is the best for what I do. I select a preset that is already there. I do not have to look for it. All my scenes is there and 4 of my stomps that I use the most. And if I do get in a crunch, I can hit function switch and have all my stomps available on all switches but one. I would need a function to get back. I like things all in one place with one button push and no toe dancing. I respect how other want their unit to work. If you think about it logically, this is the best way. I can't afford $1400 for two units and have a wall wart and another cable. So I guess I will just use the twelve and curse a lot.

Yes at $1400, a wall wart, and another cable. $700 is $300 too much in my opinion when Line 6 has a 12 switch squibble strip for $400 that does from me the exact same thing. I have a Helix also with 12 switch control. Layout wise I just want to press one button each time for a change. I have my Helix set up for 8 scenes and the rest, tap, manual to get to stomps, tuner and etc. With the 21 button of the MFC, I could have 8 scenes, 4 presets, 4 stomps, and the rest functions such as manual, tap, bank up and down and such. In my band I play guitar, keyboards, sing and mix sound. I only want to press one switch at any given time. Toe tapping on stage is unprofessional. I think the Axe 3 is worth every penny of the $2500, but the FC-12 is overpriced. Look, I know you guys don't like opinions here, so I will drop it.
Yes, I agree with you there. I think the Axe 3 could've been $400 more, and FCs $300 less. Daisy chaining seems to be the way Fractal has designed the FC line, but the pricing doesn't make daisy chaining friendly much.

Yes, I agree with you there. I think the Axe 3 could've been $400 more, and FCs $300 less. Daisy chaining seems to be the way Fractal has designed the FC line, but the pricing doesn't make daisy chaining friendly much.

You are 100 percent correct my friend

Poop-coloured glasses?
I want to embrace the technology (and have so far) like most I want to be able to grow with this and take the opportunity of the new, however, so far all I know is that the New FC will not be able to do what the old MFC-101 does as far as MIDI capabilities, and the III has already had a £100 price increase in Europe and it’s not over here yet. I don’t need pooped coloured glasses to see that.
Now to close this -
I will keep an eye on what the F.C. can do via MIDI CC/PC etc... and keep my fingers crossed that it will offer or at least is capable of doing what the 101 does. If it can - I’m in.
Just put in a features request when there's a new subforum for the FCs.

Look, I know you guys don't like opinions here, so I will drop it.
Opinion and constructive user feedback is always welcome.

But with the feature-set not released, and the product not released, many comments so far are just conjecture-based complaining.

Please, everyone, let’s let the product develop. FAS takes user requests in to consideration along the product’s entire life span. It has in the past, I don’t know why people think this one suddenly won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom