Studio Report

Any chance we could get a list of the amps and cabs you've captured IRs from so far ....... to drool over

Are y'all thawed out yet?

Yup, MA and NH had a travel ban over the weekend...nobody allowed on the road....but it was lifted on Saturday afternoon.
Streets are clear and it's business as usual around here.

I gotta say....I wasn't too upset to be trapped in the house with my Axe and a XiTone one my left...and my RCF NX on the right...just jamming away with some monster stereo patches.

Last edited:
Would have been torture trapped in a house why no power though. I don't even want to think about that!

May I dare to ask a question to Cliff or the knowledgeable?

Looking to the pictures I can see the IR capture setup.

If I get it right so 1 guitar player plays and the IR is taken by various microphones.
But doesnt that mean that the guitar player must be very accurate in playing especially for the string attack?
Would a strong sustainer guitar not maje a different IR then a dull one?

Or do you send a recorded guitar sequence (recorded off the guitar) into the setup

Thanks for a little knowledge development help

Roland

Last edited:

If I get it right so 1 guitar player plays and the IR is taken by various microphones.
But doesnt that mean that the guitar player must be very accurate in playing especially for the string attack?

Or do you send a recorded guitar sequence (recorded off the guitar) into the setup

Thanks for a little knowledge cevelopment help

Roland

No the IR is captured using sine waves and whatnot.

Roland

I really have to get a better understanding of how IR's work in practice

Roland

Read post #103 and #104 in this thread!

If Cliff has a guitar, he's probably playing "Cliff's Boogie" for tone matching, not IR capture.

Or, he's just having a great time playing with the toys -- because he can.:)

TT

This is probably buried too deep in this thread now for anyone to care, but in any case ...

All of the following is IMHO, with the understanding that I don't know the detail of this stuff as well as the experts around here.

Like many older guitarists, I've become accustomed to getting my ultimate tone at about 45 degress of axis and about 2 meters away. The cab sounds it's WORST at a short distance right in front, which is right where people take their IR captures!

This is nothing about "in the room" tone either - the same applies if I'm playing on the back of a semi-trailer in the middle of a football field :)

To get the tones I like from IRs with FRFR, I've needed to use massive amounts of mid-boost and high cut to get the tone balance right, and also used multiple IRs with higher Air settings to partly smooth the IR response, without losing it's general character.

This is probably buried too deep in this thread now for anyone to care, but in any case ...

All of the following is IMHO, with the understanding that I don't know the detail of this stuff as well as the experts around here.

Like many older guitarists, I've become accustomed to getting my ultimate tone at about 45 degress of axis and about 2 meters away. The cab sounds it's WORST at a short distance right in front, which is right where people take their IR captures!

This is nothing about "in the room" tone either - the same applies if I'm playing on the back of a semi-trailer in the middle of a football field :)

To get the tones I like from IRs with FRFR, I've needed to use massive amounts of mid-boost and high cut to get the tone balance right, and also used multiple IRs with higher Air settings to partly smooth the IR response, without losing it's general character.

Agreed. Only on a few occasions have I liked the sound of close miked cabs ALONE (blended is a different story), especially 4x12s. A nice tube mic 2ft out is ear gold.

Our schedule got cut short due to the impending blizzard but we did get two full days in. We collected around 265 IRs and a bunch of impedance data. The IRs sound great. Version 10 sounded amazing.

Is it possible to make those IRs available for GEN1 people too... to set into the custom slots? I know GEN1 people would love an update also. :) Maybe with the new Axe-Edit? If it's too much work then no problem. Keep doing what you do best. Everything...

Roland

The guitar playing part is in the setup; making sure the mics are positioned proplerly and blended nicely. Once it sounds awesome...

[...]the IR is captured using sine waves and whatnot.

Is it possible to make those IRs available for GEN1 people too... to set into the custom slots? I know GEN1 people would love an update also. :) Maybe with the new Axe-Edit? If it's too much work then no problem. Keep doing what you do best. Everything...

Axe-O-Matic?

Our schedule got cut short due to the impending blizzard but we did get two full days in. We collected around 265 IRs and a bunch of impedance data. The IRs sound great. Version 10 sounded amazing.

Hey Scott, I am not sure what town you live in, but I know the Fractal offices are in Plaistow. I moved to San Francisco from Dracut ( one town over for all of you Northern Ma, Southern N.H. unawares...) about 8 years ago. I can tell you unequivocally that I do not miss those freakin storms. Especially in February, when all the magic is gone from winter and you just want it over, and then you get 2 to 3 feet of heavy snow and ice and your world changes for a few days. Shoveling out your car, scraping your windshield, clearing the plow drifts at the end of your driveway (and that compacted snow is heavy) only to have them come by again 20 minutes later. I feel your major pain.

If its any consolation at all we are all psyched and appreciative.

Joe

The guitar playing part is in the setup; making sure the mics are positioned proplerly and blended nicely. Once it sounds awesome...

So, my assumption was correct? (Unposted assumption only made as I was reading every comment in this thread...)

The optimal mic locations are chosen based on someone playing a guitar, through a head, through the cab to be captured, through each mic and mic pre, into the console, observed through the monitors, then adjust the mics and fader balance until it sounds the best? Or until it sounds the most like it does in the live room? (I should've left my auto correct in there... It said 'love' room. Lol!)

Back
Top Bottom