Strange behavior in 6.02 [FIXED in 6.03]

I'm not really qualified to figure this one out. But....I've been trying to repro this for two days now. So far, not even the slightest freeze or glitch of any kind. The only thing I'm not doing that you guys appear to be doing is using any special presets. I'm using my own personal presets that span from FW 13.7 to present. I would think I would get some sort of issue going back that far. LOL!

Just curious about a few things, if you guys don't mind?

1. Has support gotten back to you on this since the last post?

2. Do you think it may have something to do with the presets you are using and where they may be, as far as preset placement? I don't have anything after 408 on mine. Do you think that could have anything to do with it, or does it happen anywhere in your preset bank placement?

3. Have you done a "reset settings" since you installed this FW? I know it's highly unlikely it could make a difference, but a few have mentioned it helped them. I had one bad issue with an old FW (I think it was 17 or 18) where the reset settings thing helped me.

I've really been beating on my XL+ since I put the new FW on and haven't seen a single issue. It runs all day into the morning getting constant use for both guitar and bass in my studio.

What happens if you totally unload the presets and restore the unit to factory? Have you tried that yet? Just curious if it makes a difference at all. I don't get why it's not happening for me. If stuff from FW 13.7 doesn't make it happen, I don't know what will. LOL! At any rate, I hope you guys can find out what this is. I'm clueless on this end. :(

Hi Danny,
I don't think it has got to do with the placement of the presets. Like you, my presets are not placed after 405, yet I had couple of freezes on my XL+ yesterday.
The symptoms which other forum members described (like the XL+ freezes and becomes unresponsive, displays "QUANTUM" screen with one or two LEDs on) are similar to those I experienced.
Didn't open a ticket yet so support didn't contact me.
I believe that an official reply will be posted soon after the Holidays.

I'm not really qualified to figure this one out. But....I've been trying to repro this for two days now. So far, not even the slightest freeze or glitch of any kind. The only thing I'm not doing that you guys appear to be doing is using any special presets. I'm using my own personal presets that span from FW 13.7 to present. I would think I would get some sort of issue going back that far. LOL!

Just curious about a few things, if you guys don't mind?

1. Has support gotten back to you on this since the last post?

2. Do you think it may have something to do with the presets you are using and where they may be, as far as preset placement? I don't have anything after 408 on mine. Do you think that could have anything to do with it, or does it happen anywhere in your preset bank placement?

3. Have you done a "reset settings" since you installed this FW? I know it's highly unlikely it could make a difference, but a few have mentioned it helped them. I had one bad issue with an old FW (I think it was 17 or 18) where the reset settings thing helped me.

I've really been beating on my XL+ since I put the new FW on and haven't seen a single issue. It runs all day into the morning getting constant use for both guitar and bass in my studio.

What happens if you totally unload the presets and restore the unit to factory? Have you tried that yet? Just curious if it makes a difference at all. I don't get why it's not happening for me. If stuff from FW 13.7 doesn't make it happen, I don't know what will. LOL! At any rate, I hope you guys can find out what this is. I'm clueless on this end. :(

thanks Danny, i haven't yet heard back from Support, but I do know that every report on thisive seen is on XL+ units.
i wiped my unit several times during this investigation and went back and forth between beta and final 6.02 several times
with identical results. i don't believe it is connected to any particular presets but occurs when changing presets or tweaking
parameters. tis a mysterious thing.

I just had 3 freezes in a row while trying to change presets via Axe Edit. Axe Edit just loses communication and then about 3 second later the Axe FX display goes blank (green) and I have to restart it.
The presets work fine and I can change them without issue on the front panel. Just when I use the list function in Axe Edit.

EDIT - Just tried a Fracal bot backup and it failed. I got the Quantum splash screen on the AXE FX and couple of lit LEDs like other users.

So I should just roll back to the beta?

Last edited:
I just had 3 freezes in a row while trying to change presets via Axe Edit. Axe Edit just loses communication and then about 3 second later the Axe FX display goes blank (green) and I have to restart it.
The presets work fine and I can change them without issue on the front panel. Just when I use the list function in Axe Edit.
Cheers, Harry. yes that seems to be the dominant symptom in this case, and tho this is NOT official from Fractal, as tested by folks in this thread, the temporary fix is roll back to the 6.02 beta.

Yes, I've been able to reproduce this on factory presets. i.e. began to scroll through some unmodified factory patches in bank A until it froze. Upon rebooting it, it loaded the last preset it froze on, which sounded fine after the reboot. Scroll a bit further into the factory bank one at a time and it usually freezes again within a few preset changes. When it freezes I just get a blank screen. This is all with USB and MFC disconnected (and yes, when loading 6.02 MFC is disconnected).

It's interesting that Shinster mentioned seeing the "Quantum" splash screen during a freeze. I recall seeing this as well sometimes, but only when connected to the PC. With no USB it seems to always be a blank screen. I've also tried resetting system parameters both before and after loading 6.02 with no luck. Every other previous fw has been flawless for me as well up until now.

Last edited:
Curious, are you guys loading the firmware with MFC connected?
No. As always, MFC ALWAYS disconnected, yet problem persists as did described above. Temp fix is rolling back to 6.02 beta. Life is good again with that firmware.

Man this is crazy! I can't make it happen here and I even update my fw with my MFC hooked up. Someone on the beta team told me I didn't have to disconnect the MFC. I had always done that. Anyway...

Now that more are reporting this issue, hopefully the higher powers are looking into this. I wonder why some do it and others do not?

I edit through the hardware, with Axe edit, use the auto-disconnect, no auto disconnect to make it lag purposely hoping to see something....all is well here.

Could it be unit specific? Meaning, I wonder if you guys all have a certain build XL+ and guys like me have an earlier or later model that isn't affected by this? Just taking shots in the dark at this point.

There's about 6 guys with this issue and others not seeing it at all. There has to be a link or clue somewhere. You know Cliff will sort it out. Those guys working behind the scenes on this stuff that you never see or hear about are demons with stuff like this.

Here's to hoping it gets solved soon. ;)

Last edited:
Could it be unit specific? Meaning, I wonder if you guys all have a certain build XL+ and guys like me have an earlier or later model that isn't affected by this? Just taking shots in the dark at this point.

I doubt it, but you never know. FWIW I upgraded and ordered my new XL+ around July or Aug of this year.

I doubt it, but you never know. FWIW I upgraded and ordered my new XL+ around July or Aug of this year.
Man this is crazy! I can't make it happen here and I even update my fw with my MFC hooked up. Someone on the beta team told me I didn't have to disconnect the MFC. I had always done that. Anyway...

Now that more are reporting this issue, hopefully the higher powers are looking into this. I wonder why some do it and others do not?

I edit through the hardware, with Axe edit, use the auto-disconnect, no auto disconnect to make it lag purposely hoping to see something....all is we'll here.

There's about 6 guys with this issue and others not seeing it at all. There has to be a link or clue somewhere You know Cliff will sort it out. Those guys working behind the scenes on this stuff that you never see or hear about are demons with stuff like this.

Here's to hoping it gets solved soon. ;)

I, too, thought perhaps the offending units could be from the same batch, mine is a brand new one, shipped within the last few weeks.

I bought mine in May of 2015 just in case it may help. Ah heck, you guys might as well keep using the beta fw until Cliff or someone gives us some info on this one. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to break mine to see if I can gain any more clues. :)

I bought mine in May of 2015 just in case it may help. Ah heck, you guys might as well keep using the beta fw until Cliff or someone gives us some info on this one. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to break mine to see if I can gain any more clues. :)
the beta is fine, cept for no Timmy...so thats my plan.

I'm fine with beta as well, I'm certainly never complaining about Fractal Audio. However, I thought I'd post the following information purely for diagnostic purposes.

I can consistently recreate the problem on my XL+ simply by: 1) loading 6.02 for the XL+ without anything connected except my USB to Windows 10 Surface, 2) disconnecting the USB so that nothing is connected to the XL+, and 3) rotating through the presets with my Value knob. Usually within two revolutions (sometimes three) through the 768 presets the firmware will freeze up. Sometimes the screen will simply lock on the preset number (never a consistent preset and usually a factory, so I'm assuming it's not a corrupt preset), sometimes the screen then goes blank, and sometimes it then shows 'Quantum'.

I can follow this exact same process for 6.02beta (or probably any other prior version) and cannot recreate the problem. Everything works flawlessly.

Because others have reported this problem, I have not yet contacted support, as it seems to be a firmware issue, with the exception that not everyone seems to be encountering the problem! I guess I'll go ahead and submit a ticket in case it's a hardware issue and I need to send mine in for repair.

I'm fine with beta as well, I'm certainly never complaining about Fractal Audio. However, I thought I'd post the following information purely for diagnostic purposes.

I can consistently recreate the problem on my XL+ simply by: 1) loading 6.02 for the XL+ without anything connected except my USB to Windows 10 Surface, 2) disconnecting the USB so that nothing is connected to the XL+, and 3) rotating through the presets with my Value knob. Usually within two revolutions (sometimes three) through the 768 presets the firmware will freeze up. Sometimes the screen will simply lock on the preset number (never a consistent preset and usually a factory, so I'm assuming it's not a corrupt preset), sometimes the screen then goes blank, and sometimes it then shows 'Quantum'.

I can follow this exact same process for 6.02beta (or probably any other prior version) and cannot recreate the problem. Everything works flawlessly.

Because others have reported this problem, I have not yet contacted support, as it seems to be a firmware issue, with the exception that not everyone seems to be encountering the problem! I guess I'll go ahead and submit a ticket in case it's a hardware issue and I need to send mine in for repair.

This is very helpful. So far I have not been able to get my test unit to crash but I have not tried this yet. Will try tomorrow.

I can consistently recreate the problem on my XL+ simply by: 1) loading 6.02 for the XL+ without anything connected except my USB to Windows 10 Surface, 2) disconnecting the USB so that nothing is connected to the XL+, and 3) rotating through the presets with my Value knob. Usually within two revolutions (sometimes three) through the 768 presets the firmware will freeze up.

Yup, that's it. Pretty much sums up my previous posts but short and sweet. I'd just add that upon rebooting and landing on the last preset that froze, it seems I can play it indefinitely (and sounds fine) as long as I don't touch anything. As soon as I scroll using the front panel it will freeze with 2-3 presets, factory preset included of course.

I now have had my first Time Out with a Freeze on the Axe FX XL+ !
I was on a page editing a parameter ( don't remember which one) on the axe and changed presets on the MFC when it froze. 2nd time- I was in utility looking at levels and while there, I changed presets on the MFC and froze.

Thanks for this. I've been watching this thread closely and holding off on updating, but I decided to try and help out and upgraded my XL+ to repeat these steps. I was not able to get my unit to freeze, I tried 10 full rotations through all 768 presets. My unit was purchased 11/14/16.

Trying to reproduce with XL+ with MFC (factory presets in B, C, D banks). Over a dozen rotations and about 200 fast preset changes done by MFC and unit works fine.

Back
Top Bottom