Strange behavior in 6.02 [FIXED in 6.03]

Froze again. Could this be somehow related to sysex activities? Because I have only been able to make it freeze while the XL+ is hooked up to usb and Axe Edit is controlling it (In fact, I've yet to edit/program a single patch using the front panel). FYI my XL+ & MFC are only about a month old.

As I was bingewatching Westworld today, I took some time to run some additional diagnostics on my XL+ (purchased 9/2/2016):

- Started on 6.02Beta with no problems
- Backed everything up
- Deleted all presets and cabs via utility menu and reset settings to factory defaults
- Installed 6.02
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise for several minutes with blank presets - could not get unit to freeze
- Used FractalBot to load factory preset Bank A into Bank A of XL+ so that presets 000 - 127 were filled, the rest were blank
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise for several minutes - could not get unit to freeze, connected AxeEdit and still could not get unit to freeze
- Loaded factory preset Bank A into Bank B of XL+ so that presets 000 - 255 were filled, the rest were blank
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise for several minutes - could not get unit to freeze, connected AxeEdit and was able to get unit to freeze after multiple rotations of Value knob
- Loaded factory preset Bank A into Bank C of XL+ so that presets 000 - 483 were filled, the rest were blank
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise - unit froze after several dozen rotations, connected AxeEdit and was able to get unit to freeze again
- Rinse and Repeat until all presets were filled - I could consistently get unit to freeze without any USB connection after several dozen rotations of Value knob
- Not every time, but most of the time, the unit consistently froze on preset 458, which happened to be Junior Blues. Using AxeEdit, I cleared preset 458.
- I could consistently get unit to freeze after dozens of rotations of value knob, usually freezing on preset 458 even though it was blank.
- Leaving all presets consistently loaded per above, I reloaded 6.02Beta.
- I could not get unit to freeze after several minutes of turning Value knob.

I don't know what any of this means, but I do know that Westworld is a damn good show! Can't wait for Season 2. I'll be happy to send in my XL+ if this can't be duplicated on any text boxes.

I just spent 2 hours trying everything I could think of to get 6.02 working again. Reset system, fresh .zip download, etc. No dice, same problem persists. I did want to mention that I was incorrect in one of my previous posts... After it freezes on a random preset and I reboot it, it comes back up to the same preset, which initially works and is playable, but not indefinitely like I reported earlier. Within 2-3 minutes it will freeze again without touching anything (USB and MFC unplugged).

If support would like to contact me or have me submit a ticket also let me know. I haven't opened a ticket yet bc it looks like a few others have already. But, if you guys need a larger sample size to figure it out let me know.

As I was bingewatching Westworld today, I took some time to run some additional diagnostics on my XL+ (purchased 9/2/2016):

- Backed everything up
- Deleted all presets and cabs via utility menu and reset settings to factory defaults
- Installed 6.02
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise for several minutes with blank presets - could not get unit to freeze
- Used FractalBot to load factory preset Bank A into Bank A of XL+ so that presets 000 - 127 were filled, the rest were blank
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise for several minutes - could not get unit to freeze, connected AxeEdit and still could not get unit to freeze
- Loaded factory preset Bank A into Bank B of XL+ so that presets 000 - 255 were filled, the rest were blank
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise for several minutes - could not get unit to freeze, connected AxeEdit and was able to get unit to freeze after multiple rotations of Value knob
- Loaded factory preset Bank A into Bank C of XL+ so that presets 000 - 483 were filled, the rest were blank
- Unplugged USB and rotated Value knob clockwise - unit froze after several dozen rotations, connected AxeEdit and was able to get unit to freeze again
- Rinse and Repeat until all presets were filled - I could consistently get unit to freeze without any USB connection after several dozen rotations of Value knob
- Not every time, but most of the time, the unit consistently froze on preset 458, which happened to be Junior Blues. Using AxeEdit, I cleared preset 458.
- I could consistently get unit to freeze after dozens of rotations of value knob, usually freezing on preset 458 even though it was blank.

I don't know what any of this means, but I do know that Westworld is a damn good show! Can't wait for Season 2. I'll be happy to send in my XL+ if this can't be duplicated on any text boxes.

It's actually freezing on 459 (assuming you were turning the knob clockwise). Which preset it that?

This is very helpful. So far I have not been able to get my test unit to crash but I have not tried this yet. Will try tomorrow.
thanks Cliff. as one of the folks who definitely can get it to crash every time with my XL+ on
The big freeze here too. Rolling back to 6.02b to see if it helps.
It's actually freezing on 459 (assuming you were turning the knob clockwise). Which preset it that?

- Backed everything up
- Installed 6.02

WOW. I was able to reproduce the 459 freeze just now after reverting to 6.02 final earlier this this morning one more time with no errors til I read BrienHBrown 's latest post and tried going directly to that number preset (it was a unused blank one in my XL+)..think he ma be onto something....(this was using Axe edit to recall the preset)

thanks Cliff. as one of the folks who definitely can get it to crash every time with my XL+ on

OMG Brian, cliff folks, that is it!! Went back

WOW. I was able to reproduce the 459 freeze just now after reverting to 6.02 final earlier this this morning one more time with no errors til I read BrienHBrown 's latest post and tried going directly to that number preset (it was a unused blank one in my XL+)..think he ma be onto something....

Can you outline the exact steps you took to get it to freeze?

In this instance, I was on Stock preset 60 (dirt Shirley) and used AxeEdit to choose 459 from the drop-down preset menu, upon which the preset query alert came up and Axe did it's freeze, the usual symptom in this case, no sound, the Hardware window in this case frozen on the Layout screen , and Axe-edit window remaining on 60, frozen. However, in past freezes in the last few days the Quantum splash screen or a blank one shows up on the unit randomly.

In this instance, I was on Stock preset 60 (dirt Shirley) and used AxeEdit to choose 459 from the drop-down preset menu, upon which the preset query alert came up and Axe did it's freeze, the usual symptom in this case, no sound, the Hardware window in this case frozen on the Layout screen , and Axe-edit window remaining on 60, frozen. However, in past freezes in the last few days the Quantum splash screen or a blank one shows up on the unit randomly.
Well, after rebooting both axe edit and the unit, the 459 trick did NOT crash , so the random nature of this continues as far as I can tell, but I will continue to scroll and test.

I had restored to factory settings and was actually starting at preset 000, so it was "459". Based upon loading factory presets A into each bank, that ended up being Junior Blues - I didn't want to confuse things by loading multiple banks, so I just consistently used the same factory bank.

Like bradlake said, 459 didn't freeze it ALL of the time, just MOST of the time.

So this time it took around three hours to freeze again, longer than usual , when attempting to import a template preset I had just created to slot 508.
I had restored to factory settings and was actually starting at preset 000, so it was "459". Based upon loading factory presets A into each bank, that ended up being Junior Blues - I didn't want to confuse things by loading multiple banks, so I just consistently used the same factory bank.

Like bradlake said, 459 didn't freeze it ALL of the time, just MOST of the time.

Having problems here too. Just tried the update from 6.01 to 6.02 and tried to go from patch 170 to 171 and my axe reboots to welcome screen then nothing. I have to restart axe. Went back to 6.01 and no problems. I am also using the new factory patches and have bee for a while.

Having problems here too. Just tried the update from 6.01 to 6.02 and tried to go from patch 170 to 171 and my axe reboots to welcome screen then nothing. I have to restart axe. Went back to 6.01 and no problems. I am also using the new factory patches and have bee for a while.

Using Axe-Edit or via the front panel? Is there an MFC-101 connected?

This product and this community are so great. To able to work together like this with fractal involved is amazing. Try doing that with any other manufacturer. Best guitar investment ever.

Hear, hear.

The greatest gift I have given myself in my past 30 years of playing has been my Axe-FX gear and the unforeseen support of the community and FAS staff who swear by it. I do too. I have little doubt that this bug will be a thing of the past in fairly short shrift.

Happy New Year everyone and a very large thank you to the FAS staff and fellow users. Rock on.

FYI, until this is resolved, you may want to try the 6.02 beta, it has some of benefits of the final and is very stable, according to us here in the thread..(post 65)

Hear, hear.

The greatest gift I have given myself in my past 30 years of playing has been my Axe-FX gear and the unforeseen support of the community and FAS staff who swear by it. I do too. I have little doubt that this bug will be a thing of the past in fairly short shrift.

Happy New Year everyone and a very large thank you to the FAS staff and fellow users. Rock on.
Hear, here, too.
Not the least of which benefits here are being able to hear the very tasty products of our precious's most talented and able players, and get some insights thereby .
Thanks to all for that. Party safe and hard.

An odd thing: I have two XL+/MFCIII rigs. One for the studio and one for the road. The serial numbers are different, the studio machine beginning with '14xxx' and the road rig beginning with '15xxx'. I'm guessing those numbers may indicate the year of manufacture. Both rigs had 6.02 installed. The studio rig has suffered zero symptoms described in this thread while the road rig exhibited them all and needed to be wound back to 6.02b in order to operate correctly. Both machines have tons of presets installed above and beyond the factory banks.

For what it's worth, the road rig's symptoms (blank or Quantum screen, no response, frozen, etc...) seemed to be triggered by nothing more than a turn of the Value wheel on any given preset. The problem was never preset specific, rather it seemed to be hardware specific - the Value wheel. Again, the studio rig doesn't seem to be suffering any of the 'freeze' symptoms although I have noticed a thin cross of blank pixels stretching across and from top to bottom of the LCD screen, approximately 2 pixels wide in both directions.

An odd thing: I have two XL+/MFCIII rigs. One for the studio and one for the road. The serial numbers are different, the studio machine beginning with '14xxx' and the road rig beginning with '15xxx'. I'm guessing those numbers may indicate the year of manufacture. Both rigs had 6.02 installed. The studio rig has suffered zero symptoms described in this thread while the road rig exhibited them all and needed to be wound back to 6.02b in order to operate correctly. Both machines have tons of presets installed above and beyond the factory banks.

For what it's worth, the road rig's symptoms (blank or Quantum screen, no response, frozen, etc...) seemed to be triggered by nothing more than a turn of the Value wheel on any given preset. The problem was never preset specific, rather it seemed to be hardware specific - the Value wheel. Again, the studio rig doesn't seem to be suffering any of the 'freeze' symptoms although I have noticed a thin cross of blank pixels stretching across and from top to bottom of the LCD screen, approximately 2 pixels wide in both directions.
Yes, these are amongst the exact symptoms we all here are seeing. I too fear it may be hardware-specific.

Back
Top Bottom