Something Cool I've Been Working On

Genius...
So are you going to call this IR a "Rectal Cab" :triumphant: and how about a little teaser on mic placement and type? :encouragement:

Will it be a beaded ribbon mic, pulled back an inch, just off-center of sphincter edge? :stupid:

Re: "influence of the room" I think a touch of bathroom reverb might do the trick! :encouragement: :triumphant: :encouragement:

Ahh, and will it capture that coveted and elusive Brown Sound? :eek::shock:?:roll Too far? :cry:lol

Well, loading them into a DAW will not necessarily give you a good idea of how these cabs will sound because it bypasses certain interactions between the amp and cab - I'm talking thunk and motor drive here, which play a pretty important role in the way my presets function.

In this man's silly little opinion, the tech is only worthwhile to me if there is some way to load longer .wav files as UltraRes files.

Unless it takes some serious sort of proprietary software to do it, we should be given a function via upcoming CabLab or Fractal Bot to convert a long .wav file to UltraRes. Otherwise we'll be stuck using only the cabs that Fractal comes out with until people start picking up on the bandwagon. Which - let's be honest here guys - it's a pretty small friggin' crew using IRs these days - even with all the progress being made. I'm not bashing Fractal here, but for my modern high gain stuff I really haven't found anything by fractal that really tricks my trigger. I already have long .wav files from Ownhammer v2 cabs - so for the love of all that is pure let me convert them and get going on it when the tech is available. My $0.02.

Well, loading them into a DAW will not necessarily give you a good idea of how these cabs will sound because it bypasses certain interactions between the amp and cab - I'm talking thunk and motor drive here, which play a pretty important role in the way my presets function.

In this man's silly little opinion, the tech is only worthwhile to me if there is some way to load longer .wav files as UltraRes files.

Unless it takes some serious sort of proprietary software to do it, we should be given a function via upcoming CabLab or Fractal Bot to convert a long .wav file to UltraRes. Otherwise we'll be stuck using only the cabs that Fractal comes out with until people start picking up on the bandwagon. Which - let's be honest here guys - it's a pretty small friggin' crew using IRs these days - even with all the progress being made. I'm not bashing Fractal here, but for my modern high gain stuff I really haven't found anything by fractal that really tricks my trigger. I already have long .wav files from Ownhammer v2 cabs - so for the love of all that is pure let me convert them and get going on it when the tech is available. My $0.02.

I couldn't agree more.

+1

i also made the experience that IR loader plugins differ in sound

Any news on this?

Looking forward to hearing these once they are implemented. I've struggled for a while to get the feel right with IRs. I find it's difficult to replicate the low-end bloom with the current IRs.

Is this the average frequenzy response for the whole response (1000 samples) ?

I always thought that frequenzy response was different at different times in the response.
Like in a reverb-tail ..

The problem with conventional IRs is that they are too short to capture the detail in the low frequencies. There are those that maintain 20 ms is the maximum length you need to fully replicate the speaker. This would be about 1000 samples at 48 kHz.

I disagree with this as I have many IRs here that exhibit significant energy beyond 20 ms. I believe the room has some influence as the low-frequency modes of the room will impact the resulting sound. The amount of this impact depends on the room, the mics, distance, etc., etc. Or perhaps certain speakers have particularly high Qs in the low frequencies. Regardless, it is my opinion that you need IRs much longer than 20 ms to fully capture the "mic'd amp in the studio" sound.

My tests show that IRs of 8000 samples are required to fully capture the low-frequency detail. Unfortunately to process an 8K IR in real-time require copious processing power...

Fortunately I have developed "UltraRes (TM)" cabinet modeling. UltraRes cabinet modeling provides the frequency detail of a very long IR with little or no added processing power requirements.

The following image depicts the response of UltraRes cabinet IR processing:
The blue trace is the frequency response of the original (long) IR. It is a Vox AC-30 cab.
The green trace is the frequency response of the same IR truncated to 1K samples. This is "normal resolution" in the Axe-Fx and 2-4 times longer than what other products use.
The red trace is the frequency response using UltraRes processing.

I’ve shifted each trace by 0.5 dB to make comparison easier.

ultra_res.jpg

Is this the average frequenzy response for the whole response (1000 samples) ?

I always thought that frequenzy response was different at different times in the response.
Like in a reverb-tail ..
This is the frequency response of the cab in the room—now, then, and at any time in the future. There's no reverb involved.

I see the more precise curve in the graph particularly in the low end, but how likely am I to be able to hear the improvement from current lowrez or hires stock cabs? (I've never been able to hear the difference between the current hi and low rez cabs through my rig (though I may just not know what to listen for)).

(Sorry if someone already reminded everyone of this, I didn't read through the whole thread)

I honestly think an IR of my fart would sound better. In fact, I'm going to create one. I'm serious. I have lots of time on my hands since I can't go to work due to the government shutdown. I'll post it when I'm done, so everyone can enjoy. :)

An IR of a fart was actually done a few years ago on the old forum (pre Axe-Fx II days):

Axe-FX :: View topic - Diezel and Powerball with custom IR

I'm sure we'll be able to hear the difference between hires and ultrares... but most of you usually cut everything below 100-120Hz in your presets, so what's the need for an ultrares whose advantage is clearly under 120 Hz ?

It could be overkill, but being accurate shouldn't hurt?

In the example above, the 200-300 hz band is way more accurate too. This band is where the body / balls are for those that like low mids.

IR is an EQ, but very sharp.
^^^This.

IRs are all about EQ, and only about EQ. They're just way more detailed than yout typical EQ.

@Thomas Larsson: If IRs had decay, they'd sound like reverb.

LOL. This doesn't make any sense given that IRs are, in fact, used to reproduce reverb and their entire purpose is to describe an LTI system as a function of time (via convolution). Maybe you guys should hold off on commenting further on technical details or correcting people wrt this topic. ;)

Last edited:
"LOL. This doesn't make any sense given that IRs are, in fact, used to reproduce reverb and their entire purpose is to describe an LTI system as a function of time. Maybe you guys should hold off on commenting further on technical details or correcting people wrt this topic. ;)"

+ 1000 ;)

LOL. This doesn't make any sense given that IRs are, in fact, used to reproduce reverb and their entire purpose is to describe an LTI system as a function of time (via convolution). Maybe you guys should hold off on commenting further on technical details or correcting people wrt this topic. ;)

Commenting without technical details or knowledge is what this forum does constantly. :ambivalence:

I'm sure we'll be able to hear the difference between hires and ultrares... but most of you usually cut everything below 100-120Hz in your presets, so what's the need for an ultrares whose advantage is clearly under 120 Hz ?

I tend to think that the UlraRes will tighten up the bottom end, giving a better punch/thunk, being that this is the area where the initial pick attack takes place

Back
Top Bottom