Something Cool I've Been Working On

Regarding the debate and wrangling that's going on here and elswhere about UltraRes IRs, here's a quote from Howard Aiken:

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.

I honestly think an IR of my fart would sound better. In fact, I'm going to create one. I'm serious. I have lots of time on my hands since I can't go to work due to the government shutdown. I'll post it when I'm done, so everyone can enjoy. :)

The question is, do you want any influence of the room, or not?

So are you going to call this IR a "Rectal Cab" :triumphant: and how about a little teaser on mic placement and type? :encouragement:

Will it be a beaded ribbon mic, pulled back an inch, just off-center of sphincter edge? :stupid:

Re: "influence of the room" I think a touch of bathroom reverb might do the trick! :encouragement: :triumphant: :encouragement:

Ahh, and will it capture that coveted and elusive Brown Sound? :eek::shock:?:roll Too far? :cry:lol

The myopic think in terms of what has been done, and not what can be done.

Or, to quote Frank Zappa: "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"

'Normative' is Culture - but extreme in pop culture. What to do, what to do?......

But we do this all the time with recorded music. The amp was recorded in a room and we listen to it in a room.

I don't understand how that is largely different from an IR that is "the amp in a room"

Aye. This is becoming existential......

Exactly, there's nothing saying that this IR has to be a speaker. It could be a tuba or a flute or a fart.

If we make a fart IR then we may need a longer IR to reproduce that. Rigid thinking is great for textbooks. To push new boundaries you have to throw the books away.

I tried this a while back using the tone match. It didn't work, I think because the source wasn't a guitar sound.

[*]Cliff has nailed the amp modeling. It's time to move past the "does this amp model sound 100% EXACTLY like the amp (of which no two sound alike) it was modeled after?". Cliff actually made several comments along this vein. It's time to start "exploring" new sounds and come up with something special on our own as opposed to meticulously chasing that tone from yesteryear.

Always magic to my ears.......

[*]Cliff has nailed the amp modeling. It's time to move past the "does this amp model sound 100% EXACTLY like the amp (of which no two sound alike) it was modeled after?". Cliff actually made several comments along this vein. It's time to start "exploring" new sounds and come up with something special on our own as opposed to meticulously chasing that tone from yesteryear.

This! :)

I have some questions about the ultraRes IRs

Will these occupy a current size slot in the axe-fx?
Will the IR capture utility be able to capture the new IRs?
Will there be "half"ultraRes to be used like a current stereo cab?

A perfect near-field IR would happen 75 feet off the ground OUTSIDE with a hypercardiod microphone as flat as possible, as close as possible of only ONE speaker sounding in a cabinet (could be a 4x12, 2x12 or 1x12 or any other). However all other speakers should be mounted but disconnected to avoid phasing issues yet allow for the capture of the actual character of THAT speaker in THAT cabinet as closely as possible.

We are use to the sound of a heart beating. However, we don't actually hear the heart itself. We hear it through the chest walls from the outside. If we heard a heart beat directly from the wall of the heart itself, I'm sure it would sound very strange to us. What if it was recorded with a different mic in a different part of the heart like the posterior side? We are use to hearing the guitar from a certain common pathway but it is subjective and unique in every single environment. I believe that we would be better off capturing a very close (near field) recording through the most audibly pleasant means possible (ie sm57, SSL, Neve, etc)...but with as little reflection as possible to allow us to mold the space with the use of our effects like room reverb, etc.

With that said, I'm super excited for Cliffs discovery as it does allow a much more accurate replication of a cabs lower end without the CPU fat processing. I cherish his genius and his willingness to delve into new discovery and to share it with us as though we actually understand him. Ha!

I believe that we would be better off capturing a very close (near field) recording through the most audibly pleasant means possible (ie sm57, SSL, Neve, etc)...but with as little reflection as possible to allow us to mold the space with the use of our effects like room reverb, etc.

This is Jay Mitchell's stance seems to me. But, as stated and noted, Cliff is interested in the whole kit an kaboodle.

Last edited:
The acoustic near field of a source tends to be very unpredictable with various resonances and no appreciable decay in the level of the signal over distance. Shifting the mic millimetres would give a very different response.

What would be needed for the purists is a far field impulse in an anechoic chamber. This would be the equivalent of a free direct field, which I think is what people actually mean by 'near field'?

Can you include Wav versions of these UltraRes IR's so I can audition them with my IR plug? This is what I do with the Ownhammers so I know which ones I want to import into axe II. Also, I wish there where more cab user slots so I could import more options to audition directly in the axe-fx II. Thanks and please keep up the amazing work!

Can you include Wav versions of these UltraRes IR's so I can audition them with my IR plug? This is what I do with the Ownhammers so I know which ones I want to import into axe II. Also, I wish there where more cab user slots so I could import more options to audition directly in the axe-fx II. Thanks and please keep up the amazing work!

UltraRes is a proprietary format that is exclusive to Axe FX II, it seem it is still not clear what UltraRes is all about....

AFAIK theoretically UltraRes is a way of processing longer than current length IRs so the Wav versions will still be the same.

AFAIK theoretically UltraRes is a way of processing longer than current length IRs so the Wav versions will still be the same.

That's what I thought too.
So everyone that has the untruncated Wav versions of redwirez or OH should be able to load these in their DAW and get a good idea of what to expect from ultrares.

I remember Cliff saying, that he had tried higher rate IR's before, but the difference to AFXII current high res IR's were so minimal, that there was no point making them "bigger". So will these new Ultra res IR's be something totally different? Can't wait to test them.

Back
Top Bottom