Something Cool I've Been Working On

i've been complaining about the tonal quality of "standard IR's" for years now, and most of the time i was bashed and patted because of that.
i am really stoked about this hires IR thing, though i wish it would be offered in it's full potential...speaking of a designated hardware cab emulation unit,
that does nothing else than emulating cabs, maybe with the CPU power of an axe standard...it has to be kind of affordable i guess.

Isn't what you want what the Torpedo stuff does? http://store.two-notes.com/index.php

"Dude, your tone sounds like s***!"

"Yea, I know. Smells like it too."

;) :D
I'm enjoying this.... A great laugh. Can't wait to hear the results of Cliff's hard work. I thought this thread was going down a black hole for a while!!!! Besides fart jokes always raise a smile

Last edited:
How are IRs exactly. When I see displays of IRs I see a frequency graph, an impact graph and a phaase graph. These are simplified displays of what an IR can do, right? If I have a cab with a hughe impact in the lows and a flat impact in the highs, and the highs come first, then the lows get put out and for the longest time the mids stay audible and so on, can an IR handle that? OR is it just one impact over all frequencies and all at the same time?

Exactly, there's nothing saying that this IR has to be a speaker. It could be a tuba or a flute or a fart.

If we make a fart IR then we may need a longer IR to reproduce that. Rigid thinking is great for textbooks. To push new boundaries you have to throw the books away.

Because, there's nothing good about rigid farts.

Perhaps multiple IRs with various pres baked in.

Day 1: SM57 and Royer 121 - Broccoli mayonaise with every meal
Day 2: SM57 and Royer 121 - Enchilada day
Day 3...

On a more serious note. I'm excited about this. My intuition tells me it will be significant. Small nuances in tone makes a big difference. I think this will be one of those.

So, here's the bottom line question... Days :mrgreen - Weeks :shock or Months :cry?

I always thought TM was spectacular for recording purposes, because you usually need "thinner than usual sounding" guitar tracks to sound good in a mix. But outside recording purposes, TM lacked the oomph of the original tone. Maybe this is the reason...

How are IRs exactly. When I see displays of IRs I see a frequency graph, an impact graph and a phaase graph.
The frequency graph is the actual frequency response of the cab.

The "impact" graph is a plot of the cab's response over time, not over frequency. You're seeing the cab's response to an impulse of signal as the cab's resonances ring out and fade away. It's not a "lows on the left, highs on the right" kind of thing.

"Phase" shows the phase of the cab's response relative to the input signal.

Can someone summarize this thread for me? I can't read all 20 pages :eek:

IR's files are time shortened, or digitally size-reduced (think of the file size of an MP3 versus its Wav file original), to conserve processing load, and in that process, low frequencies are lost (and possibly high-frequencies too), which have an adverse affect on the Cabinet's responsiveness and believability.

Cliff has devised a secret/proprietary way to keep more of the sonic integrity in the IR, while still controlling it's CPU demand/file size.

So, the short version is: A higher fidelity, sonically pleasing Cabinet IR file, that we can probably use without causing our existing presets to go over the CPU usage and crash existing presets.

At least I hope that's what this means.

LOL - better get readin'

I honestly think an IR of my fart would sound better.
Thinking about this in some depth (sorry for that :) ), it occurs to me that a fart has almost no high-frequency response, unless it's one of those ultra-rare "squeakers." I would expect a fart-based cab to be a bit...erm...muddy.

Back
Top Bottom