Something Cool I've Been Working On

On a more serious note! I 'm stoked about them too!! Very Anxious to try them!!!

I honestly think an IR of my fart would sound better. In fact, I'm going to create one. I'm serious. I have lots of time on my hands since I can't go to work due to the government shutdown. I'll post it when I'm done, so everyone can enjoy. :)

The question is, do you want any influence of the room, or not?

Put some stank on it....:lol

In fact, I'm going to create one. I'm serious. I have lots of time on my hands since I can't go to work due to the government shutdown. I'll post it when I'm done, so everyone can enjoy. :)

Please do this. I'm going to load it into one of my patches and setup an IA to turn on the "Fart Block" so during sound check when my sound guy is pulling his hair out trying to make it less "farty", I can be like, "Oh, sorry, I had my fart block engaged".

Exactly, there's nothing saying that this IR has to be a speaker. It could be a tuba or a flute or a fart.

If we make a fart IR then we may need a longer IR to reproduce that. Rigid thinking is great for textbooks. To push new boundaries you have to throw the books away.

I honestly think an IR of my fart would sound better. In fact, I'm going to create one. I'm serious. I have lots of time on my hands since I can't go to work due to the government shutdown. I'll post it when I'm done, so everyone can enjoy. :)

"Dude, your tone sounds like s***!"

"Yea, I know. Smells like it too."

;) :D

Let me phrase this another way. An IR can consist of the "raw" speaker response plus none, one, some or all of the following:
mic
preamp
room
power amp (e.g. you want to capture the response of a tube amp driving the speaker)
etc.

If you only care about the raw response then a short IR is all that is required. However if you want any of the other elements as part of the IR then a longer IR may be necessary. UltraRes gives you the OPTION of processing longer IRs.
IT would be badass to be able to select which you wanted to add, or take out later via the axe or axe edit. I hope that will be possible as well:D

Let me phrase this another way. An IR can consist of the "raw" speaker response plus none, one, some or all of the following:
mic
preamp
room
power amp (e.g. you want to capture the response of a tube amp driving the speaker)
etc.

If you only care about the raw response then a short IR is all that is required. However if you want any of the other elements as part of the IR then a longer IR may be necessary. UltraRes gives you the OPTION of processing longer IRs.

this makes sense cos you never hear just a speaker alone..
you hear that, plus the box it's in, in the room it's in, along with the mic and it's location etc...
so if you want to capture a 'cab' rather than a speaker, then it makes sense to capture all the things that the cab itself contributes to the overall tone..

I guess this is where the 'purest' argument falls down
because the cab we play through is not a pure thing.. rather a combination of stuff all contributing to the overall voicing..

The myopic only see the IR as a capture of the speaker's "unadulterated" response. As I stated before I believe the future is treating IRs as capturing the entire recording chain including mics, preamps, etc. and have pushing in that direction. We have already seen the fruits of this labor in the Producer Pack and OwnHammer V2 IRs. We used mainly PP and OH IRs at Axe-Fest this weekend and the results were stellar. Andy Wood's tone was among the best guitar tones I've ever heard live and we dialed it up in 10 minutes under far less than ideal conditions. It consisted of the Two Rock amp model and the EV 12L Mix IR.

When you include more than the speaker response in the IR you can have low-frequency resonances that persist for tens of milliseconds or more. Truncating an IR destroys this LF information.

In many cases this LF information loss would probably not be perceptible. In other cases, from experience, it can be extremely noticeable. The bottom line is that you can always remove the information if you don't want it but you can't add back what isn't there.

We had a great weekend at Axe Fest 2. I could go on for days on various topics that were discussed both on and off the stage. But here is what I came away with from the weekend.
  • The Axe II is extremely versatile. It played high gain, clean, acoustic, and bass all very well. Andy Wood played some beautiful mandolin through it. We had 4 Axe's going at once when James Santiago and Friends were playing with James, Andy, and Chris Traynor playing a Strat, Suhr Modern, and ES 335 respectively. Rico Belled was playing his Bass through the 4th. All the tones were spectacular! All were using various versions of IR’s.
  • Cliff has nailed the amp modeling. It's time to move past the "does this amp model sound 100% EXACTLY like the amp (of which no two sound alike) it was modeled after?". Cliff actually made several comments along this vein. It's time to start "exploring" new sounds and come up with something special on our own as opposed to meticulously chasing that tone from yesteryear.
  • Do your research and obtain an understanding of what the parameters effect in an amp but don't obsess over them. As overused as it may be the old "use your ears" adage is right on. Just watch that video posted of Andy and Cliff dialing in his tone in minutes that was used on stage minutes later. It was stellar sounding.

I see the Ultra Res IR's along the same lines. You can argue till the cows come home about having a Cab sound sans any room is the purest way to go about it. You can argue that the more data the more you have to work with. Is there a right or wrong? I don’t think so. What is right for me is what sounds best to me when and where I am using it. I personally don’t grasp the validity of the purest attitude. We already have the truncated IR’s. They will also improve over time with better capturing techniques. Now we are being told we will have the option to use longer IR’s in our magic box. It’s a win/win! How can anyone argue otherwise? We have more choices. That’s a good thing!

Nearfield, farfield, Redwirz, Ownhamer, FAS Cab Packs, etc. and soon UltraRes? Ultimately it comes down to what sounds and feels good to you and I thank all those like Cliff who supply us with the tools to choose from. Let us not forget that some of the most iconic sounds we all chase were "discovered" by experimentation, doing something non traditional, or just plain ole mistakes.

Just BE CAREFULL!!! You know what they say.... Never trust a fart !!!

RVM

IT would be badass to be able to select which you wanted to add, or take out later via the axe or axe edit. I hope that will be possible as well:D

I dont think you can individually select what you want to add, hell i don't think it is actually possible with current IR tech, a whole new format should be invented to do that if at all possible with in one single file.

I'm pretty excited about the future of this tech. My only hope is that the option for component modularity is there, as I think being able to sim the entire signal chain all the way from amp input to mic preamp AND the ability to put an FRFR speaker next to a tube amp + guitar cab in a room and not be able to tell the difference are equally desirable things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom