Riff of the Day Dec 8, 2015

Nice Man, great playing and beautiful tone.

Slightly off topic - what string gauge are you using - Your touch seems quite light - 9s like Lukather?

Yeah your vibrato sounds just like Lukather.....really nice job...plus some of your runs certainly have the Lukather feel to them...really most excellent!

Yeah your vibrato sounds just like Lukather.....really nice job...plus some of your runs certainly have the Lukather feel to them...really most excellent!

Thanks PRS Guy. I'm a huge Luke fan, I take that as a huge compliment. Much appreciated!!

Mark

Is the NAV knob the only way to scroll through the grid? I see left and right nav arrows on the face of the AX8, but no up/down.

Nice tone, Mark! I am going to have to add that one. You are sure keeping everyone interested in the AX8.

Great job Mark! I always love your tones. I think we have similar tastes in music and tones, since what you show is always the type of tone I'm looking for!! :)

I noticed on the Axe-Edit screen when you pulled up the amp that there is only one cab shown. There has been discussion about whether or not you'll be able to have 2 cabs in stereo in the amp section (like the AXE-II does.) Is that true or is it just one cab like the screen showed?

Great job as usual, Mark! One thing I've noticed and admired about your technique is that your left hand seems very "relaxed", even when your digging in to a lick. Is that something you consciously worked on, or is that simply the way you play, naturally?

Great job as usual, Mark! One thing I've noticed and admired about your technique is that your left hand seems very "relaxed", even when your digging in to a lick. Is that something you consciously worked on, or is that simply the way you play, naturally?

When I first started playing a million years ago (1978) my fingers had a lot of movement out and away from the fretboard, my vibrato was horrible. I noticed this first when our band video taped a live performance in 1982. I couldn't believe how "awful" my style looked and how bad my vibrato was (Cher vocals, nervous vibrato).
I wanted to fix this so I rented an REO Speedwagon Live show VHS tape. Gary Richrath's style was so smooth and his vibrato was great.
I would practice in front of a mirror until my vibrato looked similar to his. This was hard and I had to literally relearn how to play my guitar. this was not a quick process and I still work on my bending and vibrato constantly, because I still think it sucks, lol.

I still hated the way my fingers flew off the fretboard. My solution to this was to practice with my fretboard very close to a flat surface like a table edge. That actually forced me to play with less movement. So many hours doing this. Eventually I played like "me".

I hope that wasn't too long of a story :)

Back
Top Bottom