Removing AX8 Feet for Velcro?

Bugger. I was afraid of that. The thread is different. This is a course thread and the AX8 is fine. They don't fit.

Oh well. I had to stand on the pedalboard and pull with all of my might to get the AX8 off of the board. That velcro is really tough. So I guess I don't need them screws flush anyway.

There seemed to be a few that were saying that couldn't locate these screws in the UK - I'm in the US, and I just googled M3.5 mm Screws and AccuGroup was one of the fist ones that popped up under "Shopping"

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/search?id_elasticsearch=1&search=M3.5+x+8mm

I ended up getting a variety of different sizes in the "Counter Sunk" version as I'm going to be mounting my AX8 to a 3/16" Alum. plate along with an SP-1

FYI - none of our local Lowes stores had the M3.5 screws.. :(

Oh well. I had to stand on the pedalboard and pull with all of my might to get the AX8 off of the board. That velcro is really tough. So I guess I don't need them screws flush anyway.
I had this same experience last week. my Velcro is too strong.

I had this same experience last week. my Velcro is too strong.

I mounted my MFC onto a board with countersunk holes for the feet so it could rest flat and used three 2x6 inch strips of industrial velcro to secure it. I just got an AX8 the other day and wanted to mount it in place of the MFC.

Well that industrial velcro is something; I used a large flat bladed screwdriver to separate the velcro (it was stuck together big time; I had to pry it apart) and couldn't believe how hard it was to remove the strips from the back of the MFC and the wooden board. The 'sticky stuff' is really sticky and it was like it was welded on.

I enlarged the countersink holes on the board and mounted the AX8 onto it tonight, but only used four 1.75 inch industrial velcro circles this time and I'm sure that's all it's going to need. That industrial stuff is crazy strong adhering to surfaces and when joined together...

Sorry, I've deleted other posts here so I can give the official reply.

When removing the AX8 feet, we recommend that you use a SUBSTITUTE replacement screw. The provided screws are meant to hold the feet on and their length is such that they might make contact with other parts when driven fully in when the feet are not present (this is unlikely but not impossible.)

Instead, please use M3.5 x 6mm flat head screws. The flat head is conical, and will not be flush once driven in, but the screw head will partially seat itself in the hole. Do not over tighten the screws.

The reasons for this are: 1) While the end-caps hold the AX8 top and bottom panels together, the front center foot also helps hold these parts together and 2) replacing the screws ensures that dirt or other particles won't enter the chassis.

As for Velcro, always use professional "DUAL LOCK" velcro, which has sufficient height to prevent these exposed screw heads from bearing too much weight and also holds the AX8 firmly in place on your board.

If you need to know where to find these screws in the USA, please email support@fractalaudio.com
Perfect! What screws are recommended for the EV1 Expression Pedal?

Thank you

Perfect! What screws are recommended for the EV1 Expression Pedal?

Thank you
The same M3.5-6mm countersunk screws work perfectly on the EV-1 expression pedals. The screw holes on the EV-1 are countersunk so these screws sit flush. The AX8/FX8 should've been built the same way!!!

Hey guys - not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread before, but I ended up removing the feet AND screws from the bottom of the AX8 and then just velcro-ing that to the board. No screws on the underside whatsoever.

This works fine as the end panels of the AX8 are still screwed in and won't allow the bottom to move or slip. No need for alternative screws or worrying about poking anything inside the AX8. Had it like this since way back last year now and no issues whatsoever.

Hope this helps!
Sukh

I had gone to Home Depot, but they didn't have the correct screws, and I was in a pinch. I just reused the factory screws, except one.

When I removed all the screws, shined a light in the holes. The middle rear hole is the only place where there could be any interference. I also double checked with an Allen wrench, just to be safe.

The plywood technique seems like the best way to go ! Nice post Geoff ! Great support for the unit, no velcro sticky left if you want to sell and maybe upgrade in the future. I think thats how i will roll once i get my grubby little hands on this unit !

...no velcro sticky left if you want to sell and maybe upgrade in the future.

I've seen several posts like this, but really, I've never had any qualms buying something with Velcro on the bottom. Velcro doesn't devalue your gear. I've bought and sold many high end fx pedals, and I've never encountered a situation where this was an issue. As long as it's not damaged or beat up, you're fine. Just use it, enjoy it, and make music with it.

Also, for the people who haven't figured this out...
You can't just pull straight up to remove a large pedal/unit that's Velcro' to your board...we'll, you can, but don't make it harder than it needs to be. Slide a credit card (or similar thin, rigid object) underneath while pulling up to release the Velcro.

It takes a little more Velcro but if you have a slat out of a window blind lying around it will work great as a spacer and the feet can stay on just cut it to size put Velcro on both sides one on top, one on bottom and put it anywhere you want it. Works great on my M-13.

Soooooo......I know one person said it worked on this thread but I would like to reconfirm this prior to doing it. I own a Pedaltrain pedal board and just want to velcro the bottom of the AX8. Is just taking the bottom rubber feet and screws out and velcro over the holes safe to do. The holes would be covered so no debris would get inside and this would be the most easy solution for mounting the AX8. My only concern is that those feet screw hold something inside that could shift or get misaligned. If the screws only role is to hold the rubber feet in place and have no other structural function as to holding something internal in place. Is this safe to do, removing the rubber feet and screws and just have velcro covering the holes to hold the AX8 in place. Just wanted to get others opinions before proceeding.

Soooooo......I know one person said it worked on this thread but I would like to reconfirm this prior to doing it. I own a Pedaltrain pedal board and just want to velcro the bottom of the AX8. Is just taking the bottom rubber feet and screws out and velcro over the holes safe to do. The holes would be covered so no debris would get inside and this would be the most easy solution for mounting the AX8. My only concern is that those feet screw hold something inside that could shift or get misaligned. If the screws only role is to hold the rubber feet in place and have no other structural function as to holding something internal in place. Is this safe to do, removing the rubber feet and screws and just have velcro covering the holes to hold the AX8 in place. Just wanted to get others opinions before proceeding.
The front row of screws connects the top and bottom of the chassis. I personally wouldn't go without any of the screws. I don't know if you have an ACE Hardware around you but the one near me has exactly what is needed and would only cost $5.

The front row of screws connects the top and bottom of the chassis. I personally wouldn't go without any of the screws. I don't know if you have an ACE Hardware around you but the one near me has exactly what is needed and would only cost $5.

Thanks Sonofiam.....Thats what I was afraid of......OK on the search for the screws!

Thanks Sonofiam.....Thats what I was afraid of......OK on the search for the screws!

Yep, but remember, the entire chassis is held together by the end panels, so nothing can come loose!

I've had mine this way for over a year now - zero issues. Try it for yourself - take the feet and screws out from underneath and then try to take the top off - it won't budge until you remove the end panels.

At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with what u do with your board - do what works best for you dude :)

Yep, but remember, the entire chassis is held together by the end panels, so nothing can come loose!

I've had mine this way for over a year now - zero issues. Try it for yourself - take the feet and screws out from underneath and then try to take the top off - it won't budge until you remove the end panels.

At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with what u do with your board - do what works best for you dude :)
There's a lot of things that can be done. While they may not seem necessary to you, they are probably there for a reason so I would not advise anyone to completely remove them. There's a couple of things I've done with mine that I wouldn't suggest to anyone else even though I've had zero issues.

If it were okay I believe Fractal would have said something to that effect rather than suggest replacing the screws with shorter ones

There's a lot of things that can be done. While they may not seem necessary to you, they are probably there for a reason so I would not advise anyone to completely remove them. There's a couple of things I've done with mine that I wouldn't suggest to anyone else even though I've had zero issues.

If it were okay I believe Fractal would have said something to that effect rather than suggest replacing the screws with shorter ones

Absolutely, hence 'At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with what u do with your board - do what works best for you dude :)'

The reasons for this are: 1) While the end-caps hold the AX8 top and bottom panels together, the front center foot also helps hold these parts together and 2) replacing the screws ensures that dirt or other particles won't enter the chassis.
Direct from the man himself.

Back
Top Bottom