Removing AX8 Feet for Velcro?

FWIW,

I checked the depth of the holes and there is plenty of room for the stock 8MM depth of the stock screws without having any issues at all and they sit flat against the bottom panel.

Sorry, I've deleted other posts here so I can give the official reply.

When removing the AX8 feet, we recommend that you use a SUBSTITUTE replacement screw. The provided screws are meant to hold the feet on and their length is such that they might make contact with other parts when driven fully in when the feet are not present (this is unlikely but not impossible.)

Instead, please use M3.5 x 6mm flat head screws. The flat head is conical, and will not be flush once driven in, but the screw head will partially seat itself in the hole. Do not over tighten the screws.

The reasons for this are: 1) While the end-caps hold the AX8 top and bottom panels together, the front center foot also helps hold these parts together and 2) replacing the screws ensures that dirt or other particles won't enter the chassis.

As for Velcro, always use professional "DUAL LOCK" velcro, which has sufficient height to prevent these exposed screw heads from bearing too much weight and also holds the AX8 firmly in place on your board.

If you need to know where to find these screws in the USA, please email support@fractalaudio.com
Oh noo. I removed the screw without any replacement for a weeks. Will there any major internal damage to my AX8?

I did the same thing with mine in the end. I put my rubber feet back on, took a 3/4" drill bit and drilled holes in my board....fits like a charm!!!

Great Idea - I did this as well. Got a good piece of birch plywood from the hardwood store and drilled holes for the feet to drop into. (be very very careful measuring to get this right the first time, took me 2 tries) Velcro on bottom of Ax8 to keep it all in place. It is working well. The wood is sized to fit inside an old Pedaltrain 2 bag. I rounded the corners off a little.

Also I liked the idea of adding metal straps under the rubber feet. I used that idea to attach an expression pedal to the board.

Thanks everyone for their useful ideas.

Great Idea - I did this as well. Got a good piece of birch plywood from the hardwood store and drilled holes for the feet to drop into. (be very very careful measuring to get this right the first time, took me 2 tries) Velcro on bottom of Ax8 to keep it all in place. It is working well. The wood is sized to fit inside an old Pedaltrain 2 bag. I rounded the corners off a little.

Also I liked the idea of adding metal straps under the rubber feet. I used that idea to attach an expression pedal to the board.

Hey - I'm a Geoff too! :)

Plywood boards are the best! nothing like homemade. Although I did end up buying a flight case for my homemade pedalboard, hah

For some reason I can not picture this. Any pics of what you did?

For some reason I can not picture this. Any pics of what you did?
Here are a few photos. Not the best, but should give you some ideas.
View from beneath with holes where the feet sit. ax-2.jpg

Close up of pedal mounted with piece of metal. I normally have a piece of tape over this so nothing would snag on the screw. This pedal had screws for attaching these mounts underneath and I just had to make little metal pieces out of some scrap. Note that this expression pedal was mod-ed several years ago to work like Roland electronics by switching some leads internally and probably wouldn't normally work with the Ax8.
ax-3.jpg

Finished board. It is sized to fit inside an old pedal train 2 bag. The corners of the wood were slightly rounded.
I still need to disconnect most cables to put it in the bag and am considering getting some right angle connectors so I can leave it all assembled.
ax-1_v1.jpg Hope that helps.

Here are a few photos. Not the best, but should give you some ideas.
View from beneath with holes where the feet sit. View attachment 37064

Close up of pedal mounted with piece of metal. I normally have a piece of tape over this so nothing would snag on the screw. This pedal had screws for attaching these mounts underneath and I just had to make little metal pieces out of some scrap. Note that this expression pedal was mod-ed several years ago to work like Roland electronics by switching some leads internally and probably wouldn't normally work with the Ax8.
View attachment 37065

Finished board. It is sized to fit inside an old pedal train 2 bag. The corners of the wood were slightly rounded.
I still need to disconnect most cables to put it in the bag and am considering getting some right angle connectors so I can leave it all assembled.
View attachment 37063 Hope that helps.
Very cool man! Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to hit Home Depot...

Another (obvious?) option is to use a washer on the original screws. I've done this for years with the MFC and now the AX8. No issues. I mount on Pedaltrain boards (which I've used for many years now in various sizes). No issues.
Tried that. The screws head and washer together were too thick. They lift the AX8 so far of the board that the velcro doesn't hold anymore. I have a sneaky suspicion the screws will wear through the velcro on the board pretty fast and will start eating away at the metal pretty soon after.

So. Anybody know a source in Europe? They are EU sizes, but I can't find any anywhere.

Tried that. The screws head and washer together were too thick. They lift the AX8 so far of the board that the velcro doesn't hold anymore. I have a sneaky suspicion the screws will wear through the velcro on the board pretty fast and will start eating away at the metal pretty soon after.

So. Anybody know a source in Europe? They are EU sizes, but I can't find any anywhere.

Did you try my link on page 1? There is even a dutch one just for you :)

Or I'll ask Arjan if he'll drop a couple in an envelope!

€9,- for 100 screws and I only need 3... If Arjan got them he must have a couple left.

I still think it's strange, I stuck a screwdriver in the holes and couldn't feel any obstruction for 20mms. Didn't try all holes, though.

Got some of the 3.5 6mm screws from McFaddendale today. They only had the round d tops with hex bolt end but they work great. Thankfully the height of the dual lock compensated for the round ends.

Back
Top Bottom