Removing AX8 Feet for Velcro?

So if the stock screws are a close call, can standoffs or washers be used? I don't have my AX8 yet so I don't know how countersunk they are or anything.

I bought a pack of 100 on Amazon Prime for $2. I'll post back here with a link after I get them and confirm they are correct.

I was planning on contacting Support before removing the feet to check how it affected the warranty. This thread was very helpful.

The screws indeed work and were dirt cheap on Amazon. When I bought them last week they were $2 for 100 and the price is just a tad higher now.

The picture isn't showing the exact item I ordered - what arrived was the proper 6mm in length, and the M3.5-0.6 threading worked perfectly. As Admin M@ mentions, they don't sit completely flush because of the conical head, but velcro solves that issue.

Edit: link fixed.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

couldn't readily find this size screw in stock anywhere here in the UK (even online - where some folk had them, but out of stock until sometime in March), so I ended up buying a pack of washers and using those to pad the screws so they go in about as far as they would if you put them in the rubber feet.

Works great, velcro on and all is stuck down nicely to the board :)

Yeah totally not M3 screws... I measured the distance from the top of the screw hole to any components inside with a gauge. (plastic stick... ;) ) and it was clear that nothing was going to be touched by the screws. So I just screwed them back in without the feet and works fine.

I say don't use velcro at all. IF you are using a plywood-bottom pedalboard or roadcase, use tin strapping and screws instead. Like this (one for each rubber foot).

XfJ5Q9g.jpg

BgLjTaV.jpg

wrMr9GO.jpg

Last edited:
I say don't use velcro at all. IF you are using a plywood-bottom pedalboard or roadcase, use tin strapping and screws instead. Like this.

XfJ5Q9g.jpg

BgLjTaV.jpg

wrMr9GO.jpg

I'd love to use this method but I don't want to drill a bunch of holes into my PT Pro.

Edit: that is to say, drill holes in the top. I've already drilled holes in the bottom on both sides for power supplies. I guess it sounds a little ridiculous now that I've set it out loud. Maybe I will look into this method lol.

Last edited:
A tip I've used building other boards is to put a small strip of masking tape down first before the pedal screw/strap. That will keep the pedal scratch free, should you decide to remove it or possible sell it??

I can't get any of these M3.5 x 6mm screws either - they are out of stock everywhere in the UK !!!! (all the new AX8 owners maybe??)

I think I will just drill my board with 6 x 20mm holes - and the rubber feet can drop into those!!! ...with Velcro on the back of the unit.

I think in future Fractal need to give consideration to the fact that the majority of people will be board mounting these units - would have been a lot easier if they had used a standard/popular sized machine screw for the feet......and/or maybe include a second set of shorter screws with the unit .......(or design the unit such that the screw depth isn't so critical - and taking the feet off doesn't risk any damage!)

I can't get any of these M3.5 x 6mm screws either - they are out of stock everywhere in the UK !!!! (all the new AX8 owners maybe??)

I think I will just drill my board with 6 x 20mm holes - and the rubber feet can drop into those!!! ...with Velcro on the back of the unit.

I think in future Fractal need to give consideration to the fact that the majority of people will be board mounting these units - would have been a lot easier if they had used a standard/popular sized machine screw for the feet......and/or maybe include a second set of shorter screws with the unit .......(or design the unit such that the screw depth isn't so critical - and taking the feet off doesn't risk any damage!)

Did you check the Amazon link earlier in the thread?

I did the same thing with mine in the end. I put my rubber feet back on, took a 3/4" drill bit and drilled holes in my board....fits like a charm!!!

Guys, contact Fractal support on this. They will hook you up with the proper links, that I won't share here( you'll know why after you contact them and get a response). I did this and have the correct screws now.

Love this idea!
I've always done that way.. many advantages:
1). Cheaper than Velcro, holds even big heavy pedals rock solid.
2). Your pedals look factory new on the bottom. No leftover Velcro or glue residue when you inevitably decide to remove and sell pedals later on :)
3). You can leave the rubber feet on the unit this way. On most pedals with feet including AX8, FX8 and MFC, this leaves enough space underneath the unit to run wires and cables (without squashing them) for a nice, neat appearance above.
4). Assuming your board is plywood covered with black carpet (Ozite) you can add, remove, re-position pedals for ages and you don't see the extra holes left behind from wood screws. Carpet hides that nicely.
5). Install is really just as fast and easy as Velcro if you use a power drill and screwdriver bits.

Man, I tried Home Depot, Ace Hardware and Fastenal. None of them had them. I found a place online and they shipped out today. I emailed FAS support and they just told me I could find em anywhere locally. LOL! But I replied back and said can I just use the existing screws like I did on my FX8 and they said yes! So for now I used the existing ones and left just a little space on the top 3 scews. When the correct size ones get here I'll swap em out.

The screws indeed work and were dirt cheap on Amazon. When I bought them last week they were $2 for 100 and the price is just a tad higher now.

The picture isn't showing the exact item I ordered - what arrived was the proper 6mm in length, and the M3.5-0.6 threading worked perfectly. As Admin M@ mentions, they don't sit completely flush because of the conical head, but velcro solves that issue.

Edit: link fixed.
wonder what is the difference between the screws in the link above and this one Amazon product ASIN B000NHVQTO

Back
Top Bottom