Recording Woes

That cannot be true. You just said you are using configuration #1 and no other gear.
I never changed that to AES, it came that way. I don't even know what that means, yet. I'm using a USB connection to my MAC. So, sounds like that should be set to something else for starters.

I never changed that to AES, it came that way. I don't even know what that means, yet. I'm using a USB connection to my MAC. So, sounds like that should be set to something else for starters.

With all due respect, I think you should shut down Logic and try to record a track in GarageBand. You're obviously struggling here and need to find a simpler way forward.

Last edited:
With all due respect, if you're confused by that, I think you should take that as a sign that you need to put this rig aside until you become more comfortable with both Logic and the Axe-Fx. Shut down Logic and try to record a track in GarageBand. If that doesn't point you to a solution, then go back to using plugins that worked for you before until you can dedicate some time to getting up to speed with Logic and the Axe-FX.
I'm not necessarily confused, I just haven't seen that within my axe fx because I'm brand new to it. I've owned it about a month, so, no, I m not familiar with the settings and their meanings. It just so happens that I have a song still in production, so I thought I could replace my plugin tracks with axe tracks before it gets much further along. And, obviously, I'm having an issue. Logic has been going fine with other things I've recorded, with all due respect.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it's beyond your capabilities. I'm just trying to offer a suggestion on how to make progress since you seem to be stuck.

Or, if you look at the screenshot, perhaps where it shows Digital Input Source at the bottom and I'm set to AES, perhaps that should be something else. I'll be testing shortly.
Those settings are irrelevant because you are not using SPDIF or AES. You would need another interface and to connect the Axe III to it via a SPDIF coax cable or AES over an XLR cable. Those settings do not impact the USB connection. The issue is most likely with something on your computer or in Logic, which is why GlennO wanted you to try Garage band to see if it records normally. If it does then we know the problem is somewhere in Logic.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it's beyond your capabilities. I'm just trying to offer a suggestion on how to make progress since you seem to be stuck.
I understand. At this point, I'm just watching videos to compare my settings to others. The SPIDF/AES Output Source was one thing I noticed, so I asked.

Can you post screenshots of your session in Logic, showing global I/O settings, track I/O assignments?

If nothing else but to try to isolate the problem.

I'm leaning toward agreement with GlennO now though.

What is Stereo out? And where does it go? Why are all your tracks going to Stereo out and not the Master fader?

I would route all your tracks to the Master instead of Stereo out. I am guessing that could be where your loop might be. That is the first thing I would try.
Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 1.50.05 PM.png
These are my options. Again, I have recorded with this system before, just nothing "official" like now, and with the axe fx. You guys know when you record a track and instead of recording a second track to then pan both L+R for stereo, you instead duplicate the one performance track and pan that instead. You get a jump in volume basically. That's kinda what this reminds me of, except I'm getting some artifact that sound a bit harsh. That's why when Mr. Fender used the words "loop", it made sense. But it very well may be something else, a setting somewhere that is incorrect. Which is what I'm feeling it is.

What is Stereo out? And where does it go? Why are all your tracks going to Stereo out and not the Master fader?

I would route all your tracks to the Master instead of Stereo out. I am guessing that could be where your loop might be. That is the first thing I would try.
Master is not a bus in Logic. He has Logic set up properly. I doubt the problem is a loop. It’s probably something like a sample rate conversion problem, but until he tries something to shed some light on this, there's no telling what the problem is.

Last edited:
Maybe try turning software monitoring off, let the AfX3 handle the direct monitoring while you are trying to record guitars. You can easily enable and disable this. I do this in Studio one and did the same when I used pro tools.
We actually tried that yesterday. GlennO suggested it, so I did. And sure enough the issue was gone. I was super excited, so I recorded a track for test and the problem was then occurring during playback. So I just set that back, so now the problem is back to happening only when I unmute the track. But I felt like maybe it could have something to do those settings. I just got back home so I'm about to test changing those settings. I've never touched those before.

Oh no. That's just wrong. Sorry, I thought I already explained that. If you want to insist on turning on Software Monitoring, be sure to also turn on "Input Monitoring Only...".

What sample rate are you using in these Logic projects?

Oh no. That's just wrong. Sorry, I thought I already explained that. If you want to insist on turning on Software Monitoring, be sure to also turn on "Input Monitoring Only...".

Not insisting, just read that in most cases it should be on. I did just turn it off and recorded a track, the problem occurs during playback. I'm verifying by watching my USB IN meter. I'll turn both on and see what happens.

Just recorded a test track with both boxes checked, still occurs during playback. I'm running 48kHZ.

Back
Top Bottom