Recording Woes

Skiddler

Hey guys,
I’ve owned my axe lll for a few months now and I purchased the unit specifically for recording tracks at home to be sent in to a studio. I'm running direct from my Axe lll to Logic Pro via USB. My Axe acting as my interface. I'm having an issue that I'm completely confused by. Any of you that have done professional recordings before know that you must back off of the gain quite a bit in order for quality processing to take place. When I record my tracks at home and give them a listen before sending them out, they sound as I intended. Once my producer opens them for a listen, they turn out to be somewhat "harsh and brittle" sounding. Nothing like what I"m hearing at home. He and I are at a loss as to what is happening. Meanwhile, I'm getting further and further behind. So, I'm doing what any recording artist would do when facing career doom, taking it to the Fractal universe for discussion. PLEASE HELP!!

What are you both using to monitor/listen to the tracks? If you're not using the same speakers, the difference could be quite drastic.

You could also check with the producer for any tracks he currently has that have the sound he's looking for and used to working with or you could just use his feedback and apply a fairly aggressive high cut in the Cab block and reduce the Treble and any other source like the Bright Switch Cap value in the Amp block that could accentuate highs.

Hey guys,
I’ve owned my axe lll for a few months now and I purchased the unit specifically for recording tracks at home to be sent in to a studio. I'm running direct from my Axe lll to Logic Pro via USB. My Axe acting as my interface. I'm having an issue that I'm completely confused by. Any of you that have done professional recordings before know that you must back off of the gain quite a bit in order for quality processing to take place. When I record my tracks at home and give them a listen before sending them out, they sound as I intended. Once my producer opens them for a listen, they turn out to be somewhat "harsh and brittle" sounding. Nothing like what I"m hearing at home. He and I are at a loss as to what is happening. Meanwhile, I'm getting further and further behind. So, I'm doing what any recording artist would do when facing career doom, taking it to the Fractal universe for discussion. PLEASE HELP!!
Sounds like a difference of sample rates to me.
You’re recording @ x and their session is y.

if your speakers are EQ'd or setup differently vs your producer's speakers, that could easily account for the difference.

if you can both listen to the tracks through a simple similar device - even just similar cell phones or something - if they sound similar, then the issue may be the setup difference between your studio speakers.

you can also upload a short track here so we can listen.

I thought it could possibly be a difference in sample rates as well, however, my producer has assured me that his system compensates.
Compensates? Or converts? That may be the issue. Ideally you want the sample rates to be the same. Also double check your export settings.
Audio handles being downsampled better than being upsampled to fit a session.

if your speakers are EQ'd or setup differently vs your producer's speakers, that could easily account for the difference.

if you can both listen to the tracks through a simple similar device - even just similar cell phones or something - if they sound similar, then the issue may be the setup difference between your studio speakers.

you can also upload a short track here so we can listen.
I've sent in tracks in the past where I was using a plugin ( that I was dissatisfied with) that didn't produce the problem that I'm having, leading me to believe that the difference in speakers isn't the problem. I would like to see a video of someone setting up a preset for "prof. use" in a recording (no fx. gain backed off for processing, etc.).

There's so many things it could be... post one of the tracks, we can tell you if it sounds "harsh and brittle."

What are you both using to monitor/listen to the tracks? If you're not using the same speakers, the difference could be quite drastic.

You could also check with the producer for any tracks he currently has that have the sound he's looking for and used to working with or you could just use his feedback and apply a fairly aggressive high cut in the Cab block and reduce the Treble and any other source like the Bright Switch Cap value in the Amp block that could accentuate highs.
I think that you have a great idea as far as my producer sending me a track for comparison. I will get on that. Fizzy highs have been an issue, but (from my side of things) I was able to get a grip on that by reducing the Treble, High Treble, Bright Switch cap, as well as installing 2 PEQ blocks.

Yeah, get him to export the track and send it to you. I don't think we can know otherwise. If it sounds the same as when you sent it, then you know it's a problem at his end. If it's screwed up then he's doing something to it when he gets it.

Yeah, definitely check the output setting and take any of that Normalizing crap off.

Bounce-Track-in-Logic-Pro-X.png

Left hand side, in the drop-down box.

I was spending days mixing stuff in my studio then bouncing it down to listen to it and it would sound horrid, like MUCH more than just not understanding my room and another system, once I turned that off things changed quite a bit.

Yeah, get him to export the track and send it to you. I don't think we can know otherwise. If it sounds the same as when you sent it, then you know it's a problem at his end. If it's screwed up then he's doing something to it when he gets it.
Thats a good idea.
Yeah, definitely check the output setting and take any of that Normalizing crap off.

Bounce-Track-in-Logic-Pro-X.png

Left hand side, in the drop-down box.

I was spending days mixing stuff in my studio then bouncing it down to listen to it and it would sound horrid, like MUCH more than just not understanding my room and another system, once I turned that off things changed quite a bit.
I will check that out. Thank You.

I've sent in tracks in the past where I was using a plugin ( that I was dissatisfied with) that didn't produce the problem that I'm having, leading me to believe that the difference in speakers isn't the problem. I would like to see a video of someone setting up a preset for "prof. use" in a recording (no fx. gain backed off for processing, etc.).
if the track is played at your place and it sounds fine, then the same track is played somewhere else and it doesn't sound fine, then the difference is due to ther other place's setup. digital files are exactly the same, it's what it's played through that would make any difference.

the issue here seems to be tone, and there's no "correct" way to make a tone for the unlimited tones possible.

not sure if "gain backed off" is a standard thing. and i don't think there are that many standards regarding tone because tone can be different in any situation.

standard things may be something like "record at -12dB" or things like that. but tone is so subjective it's probably not possible to have a standard for tone.

if the issue is it sounds good at your place, but sounds harsh at another place, the difference is probably how the two places are setup and EQ'd, especially with the same digital file.

Always get the best most Flat Studio Monitors you can afford... you can get used Mackie HR824's that sound similar to Genelec 1031's, for about $500/pair used... if your Studio Monitors are not Flat, you're going to try to compensate for what is missing or overly hyped... could be what he's hearing in your tracks...

Back
Top Bottom