Recording Woes

assuming OP has no friends in his city familiar with Logic and axefx who can come over to assist beyond what Glenn and co have been able to suggest?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting, but his i/o assignments are correct. Look at your i/o preferences in Logic. They are probably the same.
What I am suggesting is his USB i/o is setup as a center channel. If it thinks anything that is mono or in the center, it could (depends on how his inputs are setup) send that back to the Axe Fx 3. It could cause the phasing he is hearing.

I can't check it has been about 4 years since I switched to self built PC and running windows 11, now. I had a similar thing happen with Pro Tools and my orion32 a few years ago and I was on a Mac, and changing this solved it for me. I was not mixing in 5.1 or using my audio interface for anything but studio work, so YMMV, others as well.

I just figured it was something to check out.

Gave it a shot, recorded a test track, issue is still there. Was worth a shot though.
How about your input tab there in the picture, how is it setup. It would be where you could be looping back into the AfX3.

Can you screen shot the input tab? If you have inputs 7&8 setup as center, I am wondering if that might be it.

What I am suggesting is his USB i/o is setup as a center channel. If it thinks anything that is mono or in the center, it could (depends on how his inputs are setup) send that back to the Axe Fx 3. It could cause the phasing he is hearing.

I can't check it has been about 4 years since I switched to self built PC and running windows 11, now. I had a similar thing happen with Pro Tools and my orion32 a few years ago and I was on a Mac, and changing this solved it for me. I was not mixing in 5.1 or using my audio interface for anything but studio work, so YMMV, others as well.

I just figured it was something to check out.
I have a clip of the sound on my desktop. I just don't know how to upload it. I tried to drop it in but it wouldn't allow it.
How about your input tab there in the picture, how is it setup. It would be where you could be looping back into the AfX3.

Can you screen shot the input tab? If you have inputs 7&8 setup as center, I am wondering if that might be it.
Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 5.09.21 PM.png

It may not allow it because there is a "limit", used to be anyway, to how much (in MB's) you could upload. As in attachments or picts, etc. I had to delete some attachments a while back to post a pict I wanted to upload. As soon as I removed a few it uploaded.

I have a clip of the sound on my desktop. I just don't know how to upload it. I tried to drop it in but it wouldn't allow it.

View attachment 115259
You need to upload it to SoundCloud or similar and get a link to share it with everyone and just put the link in the text box here, when you reply.

Try your inputs so that 5&6 or 7&8 are not setup as center channels. If you can disable the center and select none or something, that is what I would try. 5&6 and 7&8 are your USB i/o channels. I am really trying to make it so those are not setup to send back into the AfX3 when you are trying to play back the recorded tracks. You might try it as LCRS and make sure your USB channels are not setup under the center or anywhere else. I know this is how the Mac handles multi channel interfaces, but I am just trying to eliminate the obvious places where you can send a signal/track back into the AfX3. That phasey sound your are getting is it's passing your guitar track through the converter twice and that causes a little latency which is where the phasing is happening.

I am just trying to see where that is sending something back into the device.

Last edited:
i have some questions @Skiddler :

in this image, what is the first track "ope...sky" ? are you ever recording to it, or is it music to play along to?

screenshot-2023-01-29-at-1-37-50-pm-png.115243

--
you said

Track 1 (Wet) , Input 1, Stereo output
Track 2 (Dry) , Input 2, Stereo output
Track 3 (DI) , Input 5, Stereo output

and those routings are confirmed in the image as well.

how exactly are you getting "wet" vs "dry"? what does wet mean and what does dry mean in this instance?

also you are using Input 2 for "dry." Input 2 of the Axe is the Right channel of Out 1. is the right side of your Out 1 dry guitar?

--
regarding all questions about the Surround Sound settings, Stereo Out is selected for all tracks, which means it's not using Surround, which means those Surround settings are not being used and aren't relevant.

--
also i opened Logic, default settings, axe connected via usb, speakers connected to axe and recorded stereo Out 1 (Input 1+2 in Logic) as well as DI (Input 5 in Logic) with no issues on recording or playback. i am hoping the topics of my questions above are the solution to this.

Reactions: KFF
I opened garage band, started a session, was getting no signal. I did go to settings>audio/midi and changed I/O settings to recognize the axe fx. Maybe theres another setting I'm missing, or does this perhaps tell us something about my problem.
Create a track as in the screenshot below, hit the record button, play your guitar. It's probably not a good idea to spend any time trying to use Logic until you can get this to work.

Untitled 4.jpg

in this image, what is the first track "ope...sky" ? are you ever recording to it, or is it music to play along to?

--
you said

how exactly are you getting "wet" vs "dry"? what does wet mean and what does dry mean in this instance?

also you are using Input 2 for "dry." Input 2 of the Axe is the Right channel of Out 1. is the right side of your Out 1 dry guitar?

--
regarding all questions about the Surround Sound settings, Stereo Out is selected for all tracks, which means it's not using Surround, which means those Surround settings are not being used and aren't relevant.

--
also i opened Logic, default settings, axe connected via usb, speakers connected to axe and recorded stereo Out 1 (Input 1+2 in Logic) as well as DI (Input 5 in Logic) with no issues on recording or playback. i am hoping the topics of my questions above are the solution to this.

The point I am trying to make with the surround sound is to just eliminate the possibility of that setting thinking center or LFE is inputs 5/6. Basically eliminating or turning off those temporarily to see if he still gets signal fed back to the Axe FX. If they are turned off and he still gets signal, then his routing in logic is he is feeding input 1/2 back in via the channel output. This just a process of elimination at this point. It really has nothing to do with the normal setup and 5.1 or not. This is just for testing purposes to figure out where the loop is. Turning off channels 5&6 seems like a good start. Then if that isn't it, it is his routing input 2L back into the AfX3. And we can try changing that if 5&6 bear no fruit.

Those are just my thoughts on finding the issue, process of elimination.

--
you said

--

--
I was drawn to that as well. When the Axe is used as an audio interface, its outputs are stereo, so Out 1 from the Axe in Logic will be Inputs 1&2. Out 2 from the Axe will be 3&4 in Logic. Unless you are mono panning left and right for the wet dry, that could be your issue.

The first track with the “Sky” something. Is that record enabled when you record? Because that could be causing problems as well, since it’s set to Input 1&2. If that track has audio but you do not want to record to it anymore, in Logic you can actually set the input to “None” after the track has audio recorded to it, to prevent writing over the track. Try that for the “Sky” track.

I can’t remember where this thread has gone, but is the issue still occurring when only playing one of the guitar tracks and not all 3 of them?

And OP, definitely make a soundcloud account, it takes 60 seconds and it’s super easy to upload clips, it’s drag and drop into the browser. If we can hear what you’re dealing with, it’s that much more information to work with.

Back
Top Bottom