Recording Woes

You can draw a rectangle around whatever you want and screen shot it! Command + Shift + 4, your pointer turns to cross hairs, use that to draw the rectangle, release it and it'll take a pic. Then here on the forum click this button-

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 9.55.24 PM.png

From there just select the picture you took. It generally saves to your Desktop.

A screen shot on a Mac is Command + Shift + 4, you can draw a rectangle around whatever you want. Release it and it'll take a pic. Then here on the forum click this button-

View attachment 115218

From there just select the picture you took. It generally saves to your Desktop.
I will make this happen tomorrow, have to take a break tonight. Thank You very much Revdrucifer. Maybe tomorrow will be the day this ends.

Is there a USB input block in the grid in the Axe? If it was looping without feeding back, it could be the first pass with the muted track is writing the audio to Logic but the send to the USB Input is muted in Logic on the channel. Then upon playback after recording, it sounds like the USB in’s are receiving audio from Logic and either re-amping through the preset, or running alongside the playback from Logic causing the phasing issues. And if it’s running through the preset that would explain the “over compressed” nature of the audio. If the USB in is present in the preset, try removing it or bypassing it and see if the issue persists.

The reason it wouldn’t feed back is that the secondary track wouldn’t be writing to the previously recorded channel. But if it’s on the bounce the audio would need to be written somewhere for that to happen.

Do the artifacts sound like “pops” and “crackles” because if that’s the case, check the session rate. The Axe Fx is 48khz and Logic could be set differently.

Apple has done some odd things IMO with the routing in Logic updates. Do you have a session and a preset saved that you could share, the Logic Project file and the Axe Fx preset? It might help to upload both so we can look at the routing in both the preset and the session.

Last edited:
Guys, I may have found something this morning. In the axe fx under setup>I/O>audio>SPDIF/AES Out Source. Mine is set to OUTPUT 2. Could you guys take a look at yours. Seems like that should be set to OUTPUT 1. Maybe this is my problem.

You're not using spdif.

What I would do if I were you is: as an experiment, try to record a track in GarageBand. See if you get better results with that than you are with Logic. That will help narrow down your search for a solution.

Yeah this ↑. It will help determine if the issue is specific to Logic. Another test is if you have another computer or iPad or something you could try recording something to one of those as well. If it records normally on another device, you know your Axe FX and its settings are not the problem.

I've recorded tracks using plugins with no issue. In fact, those are what is going to be used in this song if I can't find my problem before mixing. So, this morning, I noticed my SPDIF/AES Out Source was set to OUTPUT 2. Are yours set to OUTPUT 1 by chance? If so, that very well may be my issue. Can't test it til I get home in a little while.

You're not using spdif.

What I would do if I were you is: as an experiment, try to record a track in GarageBand. See if you get better results with that than you are with Logic. That will help narrow down your search for a solution.
But I am using AES as my output source. It's SPDIF/AES Out Source.

Back
Top Bottom