Randon freezes on V5

Ok... sorry for the delay as the boss called and asked if I would like to join the staff meeting. Dohhhh! He just doesn't grasp my priorities! :)

So i now have 3 patches. The one with two drive blocks side by side posted by Niklas. Another with the 2nd drive block moved 5 spots. The third has the 2nd drive block removed.

1) I loaded all three to the II and saved them. I did this with Axe Manage.
2) I rebooted the II and left the editor off removing that from the equasion (other than the load to hardware thru Axe-Manage)
3) The first patch freezes. Sometimes this happens instantly and sometimes I can get in a minute or so of strumming in then it freezes with absolutely no interaction from me other than playing the guitar. I tested without even touching the guitar and found similar results.
3.5) Before going to the next test for the moved drive block I noticed that the II froze on bootup twice. Once with only the out2 clip indicator lit. The second with all the indicator lights lit. This has NEVER happend to me and I have one of the first weeks II's.
4)Tested with the moved drive block and had similar results. Freezes after about one min or so.
5)Tested the patch with 2nd drive only removed and am able to play and use any of the layout and editing functions on the front panel. No issues after 10 mins
5.1) Added a chorus and compressor just for kicks with tno issues... still going...
5.2) Added 2nd drive on 2nd row no porblems... still going...
5.3) Removed 2nd drive and place it back in original position same as patch 1 in step 3. Everything still working.

Next steps: Mod the 3rd patch in the same manner but in Axe edit and then send it to the II and see if there are differences.

I don't know if it was a typo, but I didn't move the drive block, I moved the delay block to the right :) My preset had a delay block on the lower row.

EDIT: Did a new preset from scratch, it frooze as well...

Last edited:
hahahaha maybe it was a typo (edit: after rereading it was my confusion) or I just misread but it's interesting to say the least.

I went to the 2nd patch and removed the 2nd drive block and it is working with no issues. I added a compressor and chorus to it as well and they took with no issues. I added the 2nd drive back in and and 20 seconds after i stored it the II froze and then froze on bootup 3 times after. Odd.

Last edited:
hahahaha maybe it was a typo (edit: after rereading it was my confusion) or I just misread but it's interesting to say the least.

I went to the 2nd patch and removed the 2nd drive block and it is working with no issues. I added a compressor and chorus to it as well and they took with no issues. I added the 2nd drive back in and and 20 seconds after i stored it the II froze and then froze on bootup 3 times after. Odd.

Yeah it's really weird. I have patches with the exact same blocks set to the same effect types etc, where one freezes and one doesn't. It really is very random.

Ok... I moved the delay block and got it to freeze as well but it wasnt instant like the others. It took 5 mins or so. I removed the 2nd drive and its fine. It's got to be something with having the 2 drives. All three versions work if the 2nd drive is removed regardless what i move, add, or delete. As soon as I add the 2nd drive I get random results with respect to how long it takes to freeze etc. Also odd is the freeze up on bootup but I think that my be simply because i just turned it right back on without pausing a couple seconds.

Was it the same as the 5-block sample you uploaded? Drive > Drive > Amp > Cab > Delay?

No this was one of my own 23 block presets. Right now I have one without drives, and one with. I'm going to see if there is any difference. I do have 23 block presets that work fine as well, with 2 drives in them.

Much respect Cliff! Had to be something related to having the 2nd drive no?

And to think I am still waiting on not only a fix but a simple reply to a basic issue with my surround sound system that I sent in 8 months ago.

To say we are a little spoiled around here is an understatement.

Last edited:
Much respect Cliff! Had to be something related to having the 2nd drive no?

And to think I am still waiting on not only a fix but a simple reply to a basic issue with my surround sound system that I sent in 8 months ago.

To say we are a little spoiled around here is an understatement.

Since I didn't have a 2nd drive probably not.

Since I didn't have a 2nd drive probably not.

I am real curious though by nature. Both a blessing and a curse! :) Granted I only played around with it a hour our so and only tried a few variables but removing that 2nd drive on all three examples I had cleared everything up.

I am real curious though by nature. Both a blessing and a curse! :) Granted I only played around with it a hour our so and only tried a few variables but removing that 2nd drive on all three examples I had cleared everything up.

Could have some thing to do with memory allocation. don't know.

Its fixed soon so I am happy.

Big Thanks to Niklas and Craig for all the time you guys put in today troubleshooting this (while I was stuck at work not working).

I think the key with these things is to first narrow it down enough so that you rule out user error, then find a specific way to recreate the problem. Once Cliff is on the case and able to recreate, it doesn't take him long!

If I can recreate it I can usually fix it quickly. The development tools are really good in that regard.

5.01 is with the beta testers. Once they bless it, it will be released.

Back
Top Bottom