Randon freezes on V5

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Ever since I updated to firmware 5.00, I have gotten alot of random freezes on my Axe-FX II. The unit just freezes and stops producing sound. I can't seem to any find pattern for this problem to appear, hence the "random" part. It has never froozen once on any other firmware, so I'm guessing it's a problem with V5.

Regards
Niklas

Last edited:
It might be a problem with the preset. I have no random freezes. Only running the v4 Factory banks right now.
Did you "update" the amp block defaults in ur presets by selecting another amp model, then going back to the original ?

I am going to guess the same as above; corrupted preset(s).

Restore a backup version of them if you can over the existing ones and that does seem to clear it up (one other person on the forum did this and it worked for them).

I have updated my amp models like per usual. I have tried about half my presets now, and got confirmed freezes on all of them. I will try all of them and build from scratch only if I have to.

EDIT: Every single preset did freeze after a while. I tried to build from scratch, and that preset frooze as well long before I was done with it.

Last edited:
Are you connected to Axe-Edit when the freezing occurs? FW 5 isn't compatible with the current version of Axe-Edit.
True, but it shouldn't cause any freezes. ALL that is "not compatible" is the new dynamics stuff is not yet in there. AE should work fine w/ 5.0

I'm having the same problem. Random freezes. I've already downgraded back to 4.01 and things are back to normal. I don't think it's a preset issue.

Try to clear the preset slot in AE. then create and see if it freezes again.

Same freezing thing here. I posted about this on day 1 and attached an example preset.. here's the link:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...i-firmware-version-5-00-up-10.html#post607531

This preset works fine in 4.01 but freezes on 5.0. Tested and confirmed that it freezes the Axe II by another user (cobbler.) I don't know if I'd call this a 'corrupt' preset, because all my other live presets do the same thing.. and they all work fine on 4.01. Something in there is just somehow not compatible with 5.0 (so I think maybe it IS a bug).

The good news is, so far I'm unable to recreate the problem when building new presets from scratch. And I LOVE the improvements in 5.0.

Thanks heaven I didn't update to 5.0 right before a gig! Woulda been completely hosed. NEVER EVER update right before a gig, or even a rehearsal. You just never know.

More detail:

1). I tried restoring my presets I had backed up before v5 came out (full bank restore). Same result - unit freezes up.

2). I tried re-initializing the amp block. No help, still freezes.

3). The first thing I tried after the first freeze was to shut down Axe-Edit and disconnect the USB cable. No help, it still freezes.

4). With no USB\editor connected, it takes roughly 3 to 6 minutes to freeze up. While it's running before the freeze, it seems to work 100% fine. I can tweak parameters from front panel, even the DYN tab, and hear the results. When it does freezes up, it doesn't seem to matter what block I'm editing, or if it's on the main screen, or if I'm actively tweaking or doing nothing. After 5 or 6 minutes, it just freezes solid.

5). With Axe-Edit connected, it freezes immediately when I select the bad presets. It also freezes on launch if the II is currently on the bad preset (source Axe-Fx) If the II is currently on a stock preset, then it launches and works fine.

Good to know I'm not alone! I'm working as hard as I can do find out what the problem is. I've had the same experience as you just detailed.

Right now, I've deleted all of my presets and I'm only working with one single preset. I suspect it has something to with global blocks, but I can be wrong. Others have said it might be the drive blocks, I will try everything I can.

Last edited:
If you have a DRIVE block in the preset that freezes, try disabling it or removing it and see if that resolves it.

If you have a DRIVE block in the preset that freezes, try disabling it or removing it and see if that resolves it.

Is there reason to suspect the DRIVE block in particular? All my live presets have two drive blocks (it's a virtual pedalboard type, lots of blocks present but most initially set to bypass).

I'd test but I'm at work for another 8 hrs. (you can see I'm working really hard today).

New news. Building presets from scratch is NOT a guarantee that it will work. I just did a preset from scratch, and it frooze as well.

Is there reason to suspect the DRIVE block in particular? All my live presets have two drive blocks (it's a virtual pedalboard type, lots of blocks present but most initially set to bypass).

I'd test but I'm at work for another 8 hrs. (you can see I'm working really hard today).

That would be an issue I am having. However mine might be related to hardware. If I remove the drive block the freezing goes away (disabling it still freezes). But again mine may be something with my hardware.

I can create a preset from scratch and it does it. At any rate, remove the drive block and saving stops the freezes.

How could it be hardware if a block change stops the freezing?

Cobbler tested my bad preset and (eventually :)) he confirmed it froze his II same as mine. So I didn't suspect hardware after that.

Bad news if this is affecting new scratch-built presets too. I haven't built any detailed new presets in any detail yet as I was holding out for a new Axe-Edit first.

Sean, did you test going back to 4.01? If it works fine on 4.01 (as seen elsewhere) that would rule out hardware, right?

Sean, did you test going back to 4.01? If it works fine on 4.01 (as seen elsewhere) that would rule out hardware, right?

To be very clear, I am not implying in any way shape or form that your issue has anything to do with hardware. I am only commenting on mine.

But it does not hurt to try and take the drive out of yours and see if the issue goes away.

Back
Top Bottom