Randon freezes on V5

To be very clear, I am not implying in any way shape or form that your issue has anything to do with hardware. I am only commenting on mine.

But it does not hurt to try and take the drive out of yours and see if the issue goes away.

Yes, I will of course test that ASAP (about 8 hrs from now) and reply back here.

In the meantime it would be great if any other volunteers (or Cliff even) could grab my previously-posted preset and test these things on their Axe II units.

I tested Rob's preset. And yes, it freezes here too (on 5.0). When I remove a Drive block (doesn't matter which one), it freezes no longer.
Hardly a lab test but so far it does indicate something. Sean, you reported this already?

Yes, I will of course test that ASAP (about 8 hrs from now) and reply back here.

In the meantime it would be great if any other volunteers (or Cliff even) could grab my previously-posted preset and test these things on their Axe II units.

I can confirm that your preset freezes after a couple of minutes, and that removing the drives removes the freezing. Adding the drives back makes it freeze again. Weird...

On another note, my own preset has stopped freezing, and I can't figure out why. I will keep experimenting with your preset and see if I can get any wiser.

I can confirm that your preset freezes after a couple of minutes, and that removing the drives removes the freezing. Adding the drives back makes it freeze again. Weird...

On another note, my own preset has stopped freezing, and I can't figure out why. I will keep experimenting with your preset and see if I can get any wiser.

Thanks Niklas. Guess they could have used our help on the beta team.. (nudge, wink :)) I'm sure this will get sorted out soon.

Thanks Niklas. Guess they could have used our help on the beta team.. (nudge, wink :)) I'm sure this will get sorted out soon.

I've actually managed get it to stop freezing by removing stuff other than the drive. I'm trying to figure out exactly what right now :)

EDIT: Removing the delay from the preset stops the freezing too, even with 2 drives.

Last edited:
Could this be a sheer quantity of blocks thing? This preset has a lot of blocks. It's not a CPU thing, only hitting around 75%, but there way more blocks in the grid than any of the trouble-free factory presets.

Could this be a sheer quantity of blocks thing? This preset has a lot of blocks. It's not a CPU thing, only hitting around 75%, but there way more blocks in the grid than any of the trouble-free factory presets.

I don't know, I have always used alot more blocks in my presets, even dating back to my Ultra days. In all my Axe-FX II presets, I use 23 blocks, running at 87% CPU.

Last edited:
I don't know, I have always used alot more blocks in my preset, even dating back to my Ultra days. In all my Axe-FX II presets, I use 23 blocks, running at 87% CPU.

So.. we both had a lot of blocks in our own presets that have exhibited this issue in v5. Might be on to something.

Sean.. how many blocks in your problem preset?

Last edited:
I never tested without AxeEdit. With AxeEdit mine froze instantly! I will do so without the editor and play around with the blocks as well and see what I come up with on this end.

Ok guys, this is really strange. Below is the 5 block preset I talked about. This WILL freeze if you just wait a couple of minutes. HOWEVER, if you move the delay block a couple of grid slots to the right, it won't freeze. Figure that one out! ;)

Attachments

• Rob's AC30 5 block.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
Ok guys, this is really strange. Below is the 5 block preset I talked about. This WILL freeze if you just wait a couple of minutes. HOWEVER, if you move the delay block a couple of grid slots to the right, it won't freeze. Figure that one out! ;)

1. Just loaded this with axe edit
2. Froze the II instantly
3. Axe edit was still usable ie not frozen
4. As soon as I tried to change to Axe II as source the the editor froze (expected since the II was already frozen)

I did not change anything on the preset.

Next step: move the delay block and see if I get similar results.

I always manage to at least save the preset on the II. Or maybe I'm just really quick? :D This time I changed the position of the delay block in the editor (instead of on the front panel), and then saved it to the Axe-FX II. Voila! No freeze.

Last edited:
1. With the II off and using the editor only I moved the 2nd drive block over 5 spots as suggested. I restarted both and it was ok but then froze when I tried to access anything on the II front panel.
2. Removed the 2nd drive block and all was fine with the II and Axe Edit running.
3. Added the 2nd drive back and at any location it instanly froze both.

Curious if all of Robo's patches that have issues use the 2 drive blocks?

Last edited:
1. With the II off and using the editor only I moved the 2nd drive block over 5 spots as suggested. I restarted both and it was ok but then froze when I tried to access anything in the II front panel.
2. Removed the 2nd drive block and all was fine with the II and Axe Edit running.
3. Added the 2nd drive back and at any location it instanly froze both.

Curious if all of Robo's patches that have issues use the 2 drive blocks?

You have the editor connected while your unit frooze? It still won't freeze here if I move the delay over, even with the editor connected. What did you edit on the front panel?

Last edited:
Yes... editor connected. I have not yet saved the patch to the II. Just loading then from a preset folder. I now have 3 folders. 1) two drives next to each other. 2) One move over 5 slots. 3) single drive block.

Next Step: I'll try saving them to the II and make edits there etc then reintroduce the editor.

Im getting so confused!!! :)

Ok! Just so we are on the same page :) I always try and get the preset over the Axe-FX II as fast possible, and then disconnect the editor. Less things that can screw things up :)

Back
Top Bottom