Price might be too good to be true. What to look out for?

Meeting in a well populated public location is highly recommended along with keeping your cash separate from your person(tucked away in your car) prior to closing the deal. Girlfriend ride alongs,unless they pack heat and are skilled with it, generally make these type of transactions even less safe.

To me no pictures of the gear prior to meeting at this point seems pretty sketchy.

Good luck

Public spaces are generally best, but going to someone's place is far safer than you realize. You've got their address and assuming you're somewhat smart you'll have probably told at least a couple people what you're doing and where you're going. If someone starts to hassle you in their own home then usually simply pointing out that you have their name, phone number address all logged on your computer at home is generally enough to stop someone from doing something stupid.

That said, I would never bring someone into my home. They can test my gear out at a guitar center or an hourly jam space.

Many cities in texas now have "craigslist" zones.. often marked outside the local Police HQ.
Cameras, well lit and close to help.
If the guy is legit, he shouldn't have a problem meeting there..

Public spaces are generally best, but going to someone's place is far safer than you realize. You've got their address and assuming you're somewhat smart you'll have probably told at least a couple people what you're doing and where you're going. If someone starts to hassle you in their own home then usually simply pointing out that you have their name, phone number address all logged on your computer at home is generally enough to stop someone from doing something stupid.

That said, I would never bring someone into my home. They can test my gear out at a guitar center or an hourly jam space.
Unless someone has verified a person's information in advance someone actually knows very little about the veracity of the information that's been shared. As I far as I know we're all adults and the degree of precaution or lack thereof is completely up to whatever someone feels comfortable with for themselves. Overall it would be an unusual commodity for a low level bait operation, though there are some unusual people out there at times. Having just an address, an email, and a phone number doesn't even guarantee making it in the door if there's a problem from the get go.

In all likelihood everything's probably fine, yet there's some inconsistency in the reasoning for the lack of pictures. Though it's fairly simple to cross reference the rest of the person's information ahead of time which should be enough to make a decent assessment.

Last edited:
Public places are no good for purchasing gear such as Axe FX unless they are specially equipped for testing. A Starbucks would be a perfect place for a scammer.

Also, there may be legit reasons for a seller to not be awfully responsive. When I sell gear, I always give a good to awesome price, but only sell on my terms, never carry stuff anywhere. You either come to where I tell you or you look for a better deal. I just don't have time for all the hassle. Call me a jackass, but I'm not in gear selling business, I'm just getting rid of stuff for convenience, and give a healthy discount for that. And I will not answer the phone every time, just because I may be busy.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the price I sold my Axe II Mk I and MFC Mk I for very recently (and for the same reason - got an AX8). It's a good deal, not a "too good to be true" price. It's more of a "priced to sell quickly" price.

The fact that he offered to help you with Axe Edit is a good sign. Best of luck!

And, he meant SPDIF. Not that word that was awfully close to speedo. Because, if you bring a speedo to this meet-up...

From the Fractal Audio Warranty FAQ:
I purchased a used unit. Is the warranty transferrable?
The warranty is non-transferrable. It is extended only to the original purchaser.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

So dude just called me and gave me a little bit of info:

Said it's a Mk.II Axe Fx and Mk.I MFC. He bought an AX8 and that was the reason for selling, and had a few buyers contact him only wanting the MFC, which he thought was weird. His reason for not posting any pictures on the listing was "to keep out people who are unsure if it's what they want."

He offered to let me come let me try it out tonight and if I was unsure, I could set up a time to actually pick it up (though I doubt that would happen). He didn't sound like a sketchy guy on the phone, so cross your fingers for me!

Price is good ,but not that remarkable. Maybe a couple hundred less than he might get if he stuck it online here.
If you talked to him and he is willing to let you come and try it out it should be fine. People are a little paranoid in this thread.
The AXE FX II and MFC are fairly robust. They either work or they don't.
It is used so no warranty.
If something does go wrong down the road Fractal will not hose you.

Great advice here, price seems to be about fair rates these days

AxeFx II +/- 1500, MFC +/- 400...

XL/XL+ and MFC MKIII models command slightly more

Before the XLs introduced bought AxeFx II/MFC MKII for the same price... deal of the century at the time :)

I bought mine of the exchange here on this site. Mint Ax II mark II with MFC Mark III for $1850 shipped, no paypal fees. Good deals do exist if you have the patience.

From the Fractal Audio Warranty FAQ:
I purchased a used unit. Is the warranty transferrable?
The warranty is non-transferrable. It is extended only to the original purchaser.
A warranty should be transferrable. It says a lot about the reliability from a company. When a company restricts the warranty or makes them short, it usually means there could be problems later on down the road. That's why I liked Mesa so much. I got a 5 year warranty and it is fully transferrable, no questions. That says a lot about the manufacturer's integrity and assurance the product is worth the money.
This is the only thing I DON'T like about Fractal. They don't have enough faith in their own product, so the warranty is limited.
But everyone has their reasons for good or weak warranties.

Back
Top Bottom