Price might be too good to be true. What to look out for?

Hey peeps,

There's a guy in my state who is selling, as described, "Axe Fx2 Mark II w/ MFC 101 foot controller" for $1900, without pictures or much of a description besides payment. Now, maybe I just haven't been looking long enough, but it looks like a screaming deal.

Anyway, I haven't had the best impression of the seller because he's been short with me through messaging. I was trying to gauge editions of the gear, (if it's in fact a mk2, and which version of the mfc), and get an idea of the condition which he describes as "used but like-new". When I asked if the warranty is still in effect and he just asked if he could call me later.

So, if this is in fact a real deal, what can I look out for that might indicate why he is selling so cheap? Any known problems that I should consider (or look past) with either the MFC or the rack unit itself? I'm honestly not sure if I will be able to try playing it until I get home, though I assume I will.

Thanks for any advice!

I got mine dirt cheap on ebay so the price isnt totally unbelievable to me, but the fact that he's short in response and shady tells me you should just move it along. I've yet to hear of a fractal owner who doesn't rave about it, even in selling it

Mate, if he can call or text you, surely he can send you a photo or two of it all.. And above all if he IS legit, don't be afraid tell him you'll pay his asking price IF HE CAN buy a copy of today's paper (with the date clearly visible) and put that in the pic next to the Axe-ii.. That's what I would do.. If it's legit, then it's worth the drive..

Otherwise.. +1 to the above two posts!!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

So dude just called me and gave me a little bit of info:

Said it's a Mk.II Axe Fx and Mk.I MFC. He bought an AX8 and that was the reason for selling, and had a few buyers contact him only wanting the MFC, which he thought was weird. His reason for not posting any pictures on the listing was "to keep out people who are unsure if it's what they want."

He offered to let me come let me try it out tonight and if I was unsure, I could set up a time to actually pick it up (though I doubt that would happen). He didn't sound like a sketchy guy on the phone, so cross your fingers for me!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

So dude just called me and gave me a little bit of info:

Said it's a Mk.II Axe Fx and Mk.I MFC. He bought an AX8 and that was the reason for selling, and had a few buyers contact him only wanting the MFC, which he thought was weird. His reason for not posting any pictures on the listing was "to keep out people who are unsure if it's what they want."

He offered to let me come let me try it out tonight and if I was unsure, I could set up a time to actually pick it up (though I doubt that would happen). He didn't sound like a sketchy guy on the phone, so cross your fingers for me!
God speed lmao

Definitely believable. Got my AxeII for $1,300 bucks on reverb a few months ago and it works perfectly. I'm pretty sure the guy just needed cash quick, cuz I've literally never seen one sell that cheap before

Haha yeah, hoping I make it out alive too. My girlfriend will be with me for protection though ;). I mean if you really wanted to stick someone in the hole in your basement, surely you'd get more results by selling a Spider II or something, right? That's also why I'm hoping it isn't a scam. They are asking for cash or Paypal. I'm offering cash, and that doesn't really work in Nigeria, but it does work for basements.

I am always extremely wary about purchasing used electronic devices. I would bring a bunch of my own stuff and be prepared to test everything on-site where you are meeting the seller:
1. headphones
2. Guitar and input cable
3. Balanced trs 1/4 cable to a powered monitor
4. XLR to powered monitor
5. USB and laptop, with latest firmware and AxeEdit and an audio recording app to test the sub audio, and the drivers to upgrade to latest firmware (same for mfc too)
6. Spdio (edit: S/PDIF - Sony/Phillips Digital Interface Format) gear if you use that

And then go through a test of every hardware interface and make sure software upgrade works for AxeFX and mfc, and if all that works, you have pretty good confidence.

Make sure you tell the seller your intention and reserve enough time (1 hour?) to go through all this so he is not surprised or trying to pressure you to quit after 5 minutes and then you are forced to walk away or take a bigger gamble.

Edit: also bring a few Ethernet cables to verify connectivity between AxeFX and mfc. You don't want to get a line like "oh you just need to buy a $5 cable and it will be fine". Bring it with you and make sure before you fork over the money.

Edit2: when I sold a powered amp QSC K10, I had a setup to demonstrate that everything worked to assure the seller. Some people aren't that nice, but if the seller objects to you verifying everything before you pay for it, just walk away.

Last edited:
Meeting in a well populated public location is highly recommended along with keeping your cash separate from your person(tucked away in your car) prior to closing the deal. Girlfriend ride alongs,unless they pack heat and are skilled with it, generally make these type of transactions even less safe.

To me no pictures of the gear prior to meeting at this point seems pretty sketchy.

Good luck

I am always extremely wary about purchasing used electronic devices. I would bring a bunch of my own stuff and be prepared to test everything on-site where you are meeting the seller:
1. headphones
2. Guitar and input cable
3. Balanced trs 1/4 cable to a powered monitor
4. XLR to powered monitor
5. USB and laptop, with latest firmware and AxeEdit and an audio recording app to test the sub audio, and the drivers to upgrade to latest firmware (same for mfc too)
6. Spdio interface gear if you use that

And then go through a test of every hardware interface and make sure software upgrade works for AxeFX and mfc, and if all that works, you have pretty good confidence.

Make sure you tell the seller your intention and reserve enough time (1 hour?) to go through all this so he is not surprised or trying to pressure you to quit after 5 minutes and then you are forced to walk away or take a bigger gamble.

Edit: also bring a few Ethernet cables to verify connectivity between AxeFX and mfc. You don't want to get a line like "oh you just need to buy a $5 cable and it will be fine". Bring it with you and make sure before you fork over the money.

Edit2: when I sold a powered amp QSC K10, I had a setup to demonstrate that everything worked to assure the seller. Some people aren't that nice, but if the seller objects to you verifying everything before you pay for it, just walk away.

Oh wow, okay this is really good information.
1. I'll bring my IE.
2. Got it!
3. & 4. -- I'll have to look through my things, I am unsure if I own any currently.
5. Downloading it now. Though, I'll have to figure out how to use it haha.
6. Not sure what that is, but I'll see whats up.

He offered to help me through Axe edit, though I'm not sure what his output set up is like currently but will try to go through every possible option. Thanks so much!

Meeting in a well populated public location is highly recommended along with keeping your cash separate from your person(tucked away in your car) prior to closing the deal. Girlfriend ride alongs,unless they pack heat and are skilled with it, generally make these type of transactions even less safe.

To me no pictures of the gear prior to meeting at this point seems pretty sketchy.

Good luck

That was my thought first, but I did want to test to make sure everything works, which will have to be at his place unfortunately. I like the "keeping cash in the car" idea.

That price is good but far from to good to be true. I think you have gotten some good advice here. Just test everything and hopefully walk out with an Axe FX and MFC

That price is good but far from to good to be true. I think you have gotten some good advice here. Just test everything and hopefully walk out with an Axe FX and MFC

Cool! Like I said, maybe I just haven't been shopping long enough. I've only really been looking into this route for the last month or two. There's a guy on reverb selling this set up (though I think it's an XL or XL+ and maybe a Mk. II or III MFC) for $2800. That seems more like what I was expecting. As far as I've read, the Mk. II is still relevant? I was originally thinking Ultra (you can find sub $1k) but this just seems like a good overall deal.

Back
Top Bottom