Pedalboard Wireless setup

I don't see any reason to use the L6 G50,90 over the new shure's. The convenience of the battery life is incredible. IMO, I'd get the rackmount version and put it on your pedalboard if you have enough space. Just because you can charge the battery right in the unit. It also tells you how many hrs/min. left on the display.

Me and my bass player both use the GLXD16 and it's really hard to beat. Never had issues. It just works and the tuner is great!
We had the Line 6 Relay G30 before that and though most of the time it worked, there sometimes were droputs nobody could explain. The manufacture was cheap while the Shure is built like a tank. Never played the G50 or G70, though.

I have a G30. I have had a few dropout issues with it too. My bass player also uses Line 6 but he has a G50. One gig we were playing the first set - about 6 songs in and all of a sudden, constant drop outs for both of us. That was the end of that for the night - back to cable. I am always a bit nervous about using it these days. This Saturday night will be the first time for months. finger crossed it will all be fine.

I will get one of the Line6 Relay G10 systems. This is a really smart idea.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RelayG10

I've ordered one from Sweetwater already, for a fast, easy wireless for smaller gigs with the AX8.
Sounds like they aren't shipping for a few more weeks though.

I have the Line6 G90 in my AXE II rig though, and that's always worked great.

I still gotta catch your band when your're on the East side!

I've ordered one from Sweetwater already, for a fast, easy wireless for smaller gigs with the AX8.
Sounds like they aren't shipping for a few more weeks though.

I have the Line6 G90 in my AXE II rig though, and that's always worked great.

I still gotta catch your band when your're on the East side!
I have a G50. I like it. But I dont like having to worry about batteries going out on me. We are at Skippers in Glendale this Saturday. CK's in Ahwatukee on the 14th of May is our next local show.

Began with a Nady System 201 VHF around 1992. Sennheiser EW100 G1, back in 1999. Later going to G2, used that a few years flawless. After that Line6 from Relay G90 to XD-V75tr to G50 nowadays.

Battery running out is never a problem. Just check the battery status on your beltpack at the beginning of your gig. Fresh batteries wil last about 8 hours.

I've used a G30 for a few years.
Permanently mounted to my pedal board.
Use it for every rehearsal, live show and home practice.
Zero problems and sounds exactly like a cable.
Transmitter is held in neoprene pouch attached to strap.
I know there are more expensive units but this best bang for buck system works great for me.
6990906_orig.jpg

I've used a G30 for a few years.
Permanently mounted to my pedal board.
Use it for every rehearsal, live show and home practice.
Zero problems and sounds exactly like a cable.
Transmitter is held in neoprene pouch attached to strap.
I know there are more expensive units but this best bang for buck system works great for me.
6990906_orig.jpg

When it is rock solid I agree - it is the best bang for the buck.

As cool as that is I see a few potential problems with this little guy.

1, For guitars with a side input you have the potential of braking the transmitter if you leave it in the guitar.

2, it's pretty small so the chance of losing it is also there as well.
Hopefully they sell just the plug as a replacement.

Hopefully they sell just the plug as a replacement.

I would imagine they would, but at what cost? If I snap a 1/4" right angle it will cost me about 9 bucks with shipping to replace it, 15 if I go for the silent unit. Now this is just hypothetical of course not saying that it happens all the time but if it does I'm bet'n it will cost a little bit more than $15 ;)

That G10 system looks pretty nice. I agree with @bdrepko that they could be prone to breakage if the jack/dongle gets a reasonable knock. You could always grab a small cable and fit it with a female end so that you could wrap the dongle around your strap. Good price too ... I'm almost tempted to preorder from sweetwater.

As tempting as the Shure looks, does anyone have gigging experience with the G70? The latency figures look pretty neat and I know a lot of people that swear by Line 6 (aside from some you). The battery life doesn't bother me at all at 8 hours. Besides, it shows you where you're at on life, anyway.

What are your likes and dislikes? Any issues in large venues or areas with dense in wifi-enabled devices?

I used my G30 last night for my acoustic guitar. This was powered by Pedaltrain battery. The G30 receiver was fed into the FX return. My electric stayed with a cable and was plugged into the normal input. From there I just used two patches with 2 -3 scenes and that was good for the whole night. This worked really well and the wireless was awesome. no issues at all.

I've never heard a wireless system in which latency was a problem. Even if there were 10 milliseconds of latency, you get that much delay standing ten feet from your cab. It's not really an issue.

I've never heard a wireless system in which latency was a problem. Even if there were 10 milliseconds of latency, you get that much delay standing ten feet from your cab. It's not really an issue.
The G70 has the lowest reported latency of all units so far. Helps keep feel

The G70 has the lowest reported latency of all units so far. Helps keep feel
Which wireless systems do you find have too much latency? (Zero points for times when you were thirty feet from the nearest speaker. :) )

As tempting as the Shure looks, does anyone have gigging experience with the G70? The latency figures look pretty neat and I know a lot of people that swear by Line 6 (aside from some you). The battery life doesn't bother me at all at 8 hours. Besides, it shows you where you're at on life, anyway.

What are your likes and dislikes? Any issues in large venues or areas with dense in wifi-enabled devices?
The G70 also gets very good reviews, and I know a few top of the line Danish guitar players that use them (at least one of them is a Yamaha promoter)

Anyways, it was the input from this thread that made me choose the Shure over G70. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/pedalboard-wireless-units.108162/
There are also a few other http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-w-wireless-system-on-pedalboard.105697/ and http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ss-system-for-guitar-afx.107781/#post-1290023

The G70 also gets very good reviews, and I know a few top of the line Danish guitar players that use them (at least one of them is a Yamaha promoter)

Of course he plays with a G70, being a Yamaha promotor!!
Line6 is a Yamaha Corporation company.

Back
Top Bottom