Pedalboard Wireless setup

ghost219

Inspired
I know there's a thread for this in the Rigs thread BUT, I feel this applies more so in the AX8 group as we are completely floor-based. There's a lot of love for the Shure GLX-D16 units. Surely, there's more being used such as the Line 6 line, Audio Technica, or Sony or (your preference). Post your experiences and amount of time using said units.

:)

I've not used the Shure GLX, although I'm very familiar with Shure PSM and Shure ULX gear, and I vastly prefer Shure to other IEM and mic options. With personal guitar wireless, I've had experience with the Line 6 G50, G90, and the newer G70. I've also used a non-digital Shure PG which was total crap on the tone.

The G50 and G90 are essentially the same in different form factors (pedal vs rack). The pack is metal and heavy duty, and I've never experienced dropouts in an environment where there is a lot of WiFi, as long as the WiFi is controlled and managed. I also like that the battery meter is on the pack. I have occasionally used the newer G70. I really dig the multi-pack and output options. The tuner is nifty if you need it (I don't). The battery meter is very clear, but it's on the receiver, so you have to walk out on stage to check the battery levels (kinda dumb). The pack seems fairly heavy duty, but the clip totally sucks, so I just stick the whole thing in a pocket or else I gaff it to my strap. All the Line 6 options seem to be transparent on tone. I don't use their cable tone features because I usually hook up a 10' cable between wireless and the next device, so that if something goes wrong, I can switch to the cable quickly.

If there were a perfect unit, it would be the heavy duty pack and rock solid signal of the Shure GLX, with the output/pack switching options of the Line 6 G70.

Prior to running to Shure I was a long time (9 year) Sennheiser EW user and had NO issues with it. I would have stayed but sadly they don't make a pedalboard based unit and a half rack transmitter mounted on a pedalboard looks funny and takes up space. The Shure GLX-D16 is a hard act to beat. With the rock solid build quality, low profile power supply and reliability! The one thing that would have put the GLX over the top would have been to have a battery charge dock built into the pedal unit.

I am also a very happy GLX16-D user - But I have not really tried any other wireless systems. I am still totally amazed by how long the unit will run on one charge. I usually charge before gigs, but then I will be able to use the system for several rehearsals before I need to charge.

Me and my bass player both use the GLXD16 and it's really hard to beat. Never had issues. It just works and the tuner is great!
We had the Line 6 Relay G30 before that and though most of the time it worked, there sometimes were droputs nobody could explain. The manufacture was cheap while the Shure is built like a tank. Never played the G50 or G70, though.

Also very happy with GLX-D16.
No noticable lag.

Group 1 (4 ms) is factory default.

Groups 2 and 3 are 7.3 ms.

Last edited:
Used a G90 for years with my AxII and it was great.

Now using a G70 with the AX8 and it'e been just as cool. No issues, nice and easy, works great and no noticeable lag.

Plus it has shiny lights, which is always a bonus :)

Using G90 with my Axe Fx and have just got a G50 for my AX8 rig. So my G50 is just waiting for AX8 to come my way......

Used a G50 for my old analog rig - but the receiver got stolen (they left the transmitter behind) . I now have 3 transmitter packs for my guitars.
And Line6 G50 and G90 is highly recommendable - very good quality both build and sound.

I'd love to have a wireless unit that would do both guitar transmitter and in-ear... Until that, I keep my wires :)
Oh I agree - But I can tell you that the Shure PSM3000 (IEM transmitter/reciever), which is more expensive than GLX16D, still sounds much worse than a wired connection. A combined guitar and IEM system that actually sounded good, would probably be more than Ax8 :(

Another vote for the Shure. I've used it for about 6 months now and it's great for all the reasons everyone states. I used to use an X2 unit, which was the precursor to the Line6 G series. That worked for me well too, without any issues. The build quality of the Shure along with the built in tuner and battery display are the reasons I prefer the Shure over the X2.

Prior to running to Shure I was a long time (9 year) Sennheiser EW user and had NO issues with it. I would have stayed but sadly they don't make a pedalboard based unit and a half rack transmitter mounted on a pedalboard looks funny and takes up space. The Shure GLX-D16 is a hard act to beat. With the rock solid build quality, low profile power supply and reliability! The one thing that would have put the GLX over the top would have been to have a battery charge dock built into the pedal unit.

Did exactly the same thing, sold the Sennheiser to replace with the Shure. Couldn't be happier! Built like a tank, tuner is great, literally no setup, and no dropouts or connection issues at any venue I've used it at!

Been using the G90 with my Axe for yrs..for both guitar and bass.. no latency, set to low power, never had any dropouts even in crowded venues.. did 75+ gigs last year. I'm rack mounted for convenience.

Others in the band use the G50/G70 and have the same basic experiences as I do.

I used the G-30 for years with the main gripe being the uber cheap battery enclosure that ultimately needed a thick rubber band to hold it closed. Tonally is was nails.
Currently loving the Shure GLX D-16. Rechargeable battery with 16 plus hour life and bombproof construction made it way worth the extra dough. I promptly bought 2 more body packs.

Back
Top Bottom