Parameter Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voicing is just EQ. You can duplicate it with any of the EQ resources. It's not a big deal to keep it in there though. I was just trying to simplify things a bit.

I really want to add a "Brilliance" parameter. This would be a shelving filter between the preamp and power amp. It's similar to the Presence control in a Triaxis (except that you would be able to boost as well as cut). For certain tones the ability to roll off the highs out of the preamp would be nice. I used to keep the Presence on my Triaxis fairly low. This gave a very focused lead tone that cut but wasn't harsh.

So I was thinking I could get rid of some of those legacy parameters to make room for the Brilliance knob.

A Brilliance parameter like that would be brilliant.
FWIW I don't use any of those other parameters much myself.

The only thing I use is Amp Voicing on a few patches but if it can be done with some PEQ adjustments, no big deal - take it.

My vote: Pick attack, Did't get to experiment with the rest yet. Why not keep them all unless there's something else which does exactly the same thing?

I'd like every pertinent options at my disposal when crafting a tone. Most of these parameters are very useful when tailoring a tone and not using the appropriate guitar (i.e. smooth Jazz tone) using a strat or tele or vice versa.

Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

...these are keepers.

but
I'm all for eliminating redundancy.......if it's there.

I agree. I'll adjust these mostly depending on the guitar I'm using, but not exclusively.

I would dump all of the parameters mentioned in OP despite using some of them myself. If Cliff says they are mostly obsolete then simplifying the already rather bloated user interface is perfectly fine. I mean most people are used to having way fewer controls on real amps or rack units. There are already a gazillion other ways to fine-tune the sound.

I would dump all of the parameters mentioned in OP despite using some of them myself. If Cliff says they are mostly obsolete then simplifying the already rather bloated user interface is perfectly fine. I mean most people are used to having way fewer controls on real amps or rack units. There are already a gazillion other ways to fine-tune the sound.

Die hard GBMTV-users should stay on the Basic Page of the AmpBlock anyway8)

The new firmware has rendered a lot of parameters obsolete IMO. I'm considering eliminating the following:
Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Character
Character Freq
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

If you have strong objections please state which parameter(s) you would want retained.

I vote to go ahead and remove them.

Do't use any of these except Transformer match. slightly pick attack on DLR amp only but am not sure it affects sustain of notes.

Less is more. Elegance is better than exhaustive completeness at this point.
We have enough amp types that a lot of tweaking usually means I'm using the wrong amp in the first place!

Perhaps we can have a parameter elimination control. The higher you set it, the more superfluous parameters disappear. Or not.

Not such a silly idea IMO - especially within Axe-Edit.

Years ago, in the DOS days, there was a popular integrated software package called SMARTware. I loved it because it had a powerful scripting language which you could write quite sophisticated applications in. It had three levels of operation - Basic, Intermediate, Advanced.

The Basic level just gave the users very simple menus etc. and totally hid them from the complex scripting so a newbie would jump right in a work away in comfort, whereas a power user could switch up to Advanced and work on scripts etc.

I am thinking that perhaps a future iteration of Axe-Edit (or perhaps even the front panel) could have two or three 'modes' of operation. The basic mode would only expose the very basic amp controls like a normal amplifier. The user won't even have to KNOW that other parameters exists to confuse him/her. This may cut down on the 'tweakers nightmare' that most first time users feel when they get the device?!?

I have to say, in my quests I've spent many a minute turning virtual knobs in the axe and wondering "Whatever is changing now? I can't hear anything changing? It's supposed to do something... Either on good headphones or on reasonable monitors. Some params say they need high master vol, I usually have that pretty high... Still can't hear it. Can't say off the top of my head which params that would be.

Yes I feel the same way about some knobs on the amp or cab block. I hardly hear any difference, sometimes no difference at all. Same goes for some effect block parameters. Some knobs in the Rotary block for example but there are more. I rather have a few knobs that really make a more drastic change. Makes it more practical and you also save some time.

I'm still in love with FW 10 tones, so I use ALL of those parameters to tweak back to 10 tones. I'd prefer they remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom