OwnHammer - Vox AC30, Mesa 412, Mesa 212 - The Justin York Collection Volume 1

Hi Justin, I got the Cab Pack and used it with my Brownface Concert 6G12 preset - what a lovely tone with your Fender 410 ir................

It's your ir in the room sweet and loud with my Matrix q12a:

Kevin, would the 212 MES-RC pack compliment JY's 212 or would it be a bit redundant (besides the inclusion of the G12H-30's that were shot/mixed)? Thank you for your time and insight.

Kevin, would the 212 MES-RC pack compliment JY's 212 or would it be a bit redundant (besides the inclusion of the G12H-30's that were shot/mixed)? Thank you for your time and insight.

The 212 MES-RC has a very different feature set and layout than the JYC Mesa 2x12. You may find a few similar IRs amidst the thousands between both libraries since it's the same cabinet, but the 212 MES-RC has new mixes with new mics, and traditional OH variable positions for each mic and mix. Add in the G12H blended in under the V30, on top of the V30, or by itself, and you've got a very diverse cabinet. I do like both the JYC and the MES-RC for different things. I REALLY dig the V30+G12H blends where the V30 is the main speaker, but the G12H gives it a little more aggression.

It's crazy how good these new OH IR's are and I've tried them ALL.
These are the best IR's I've ever used for my music!

Last edited:
The 212 MES-RC has a very different feature set and layout than the JYC Mesa 2x12. You may find a few similar IRs amidst the thousands between both libraries since it's the same cabinet, but the 212 MES-RC has new mixes with new mics, and traditional OH variable positions for each mic and mix. Add in the G12H blended in under the V30, on top of the V30, or by itself, and you've got a very diverse cabinet. I do like both the JYC and the MES-RC for different things. I REALLY dig the V30+G12H blends where the V30 is the main speaker, but the G12H gives it a little more aggression.
Thank you for your insight, sincerely appreciated. I wasn't sure if the two offerings were indeed varied enough to compliment one 212 to the other 212, or if quite similar (in regards to overall tonality) with the same V30.

Hi Justin, probably with my band we'll have to play FENCES for a girl at a singing contest...any suggestion for amp and IR's?? ;)
Obviously I own the JY Collection :)
Thank you so much!

Hi Justin, probably with my band we'll have to play FENCES for a girl at a singing contest...any suggestion for amp and IR's?? ;)
Obviously I own the JY Collection :)
Thank you so much!

That's awesome, man!!! It's a really fun song to play, and I'm sure you're gonna nail it! As for amps and cabs, I'm actually working on my Paramore 2016 template as we speak and selecting amps and cabs. For the dirty stuff, the Atomica High is the closest thing to what we use live and most of the ballsy parts done in the studio. For that amp, I'm leaning toward the 412 BR SM7B (not BR SM7-LIVE, although that one will also be a contender when I do my IR audition for the band and FOH guy), as well as the BR 57B3+121. I have a few more in the running, but those are my main go-to IRs for THAT sound.

For the clean stuff, I'm almost positive that I'm gonna go with the Deluxe Verb Nrm and use either the VX30 L 57C3+121 or the 412 BR 57B3+121...but that all depends on if I need an open back combo or a closed back cab sound.

If you've got an XL, I can shoot you a patch to play around with that has my settings.

Yes, It's really a funny song!!!
I do not really know how to thank you for your kindness and for all the informations you gave me!! You've done really a great work of research on the IR's, impressive...I'll try your suggestions immediately!
Unfortunately I have an MKII and not an XL, sorry!
I'll try to find the right settings on the amps ;) and I'll keep you updated!
Thank you very very much!

Yes, It's really a funny song!!!
I do not really know how to thank you for your kindness and for all the informations you gave me!! You've done really a great work of research on the IR's, impressive...I'll try your suggestions immediately!
Unfortunately I have an MKII and not an XL, sorry!
I'll try to find the right settings on the amps ;) and I'll keep you updated!
Thank you very very much!

Hey Coby, well since you don't have an XL, here are my settings (so far) for the Atomica High. Tweak them to your personal preference, but I hope you find them helpful.

Amp Sim: Atomica High
Basic: Input Drive-5, Bass 3.73, Mid 4, Treb 5.38, Bright 1.41, Presence 6.46, Depth 4.25, Master 5
GEQ 8 Band Var Q: 250 -1.20, 4k -1.92, 8k -.96
Power Amp Hardness: 3-5 (depending on your personal preference)
Speaker Drive: 1.7
Dynamics: Output Comp set to "Feedback" 0.94

Cab Block
IR: OH JY-MES-412 BR SM7B
Motor Drive: 1.58
Low Cut: 90hz
High Cut: 12k

Good luck, and let me know how they work out for you.

Hey Coby, well since you don't have an XL, here are my settings (so far) for the Atomica High. Tweak them to your personal preference, but I hope you find them helpful.

Basic: Input Drive-5, Bass 3.73, Mid 4, Treb 5.38, Bright 1.41, Presence 6.46, Depth 4.25, Master 5

Cab Block

Thank you again Justin! I did not dare ask your setting for the amp, but you're gone beyond my hopes! :)
I'll try to do justice to your work! ;)
Thank you very much

Cab Block

Question for you if you have a moment to answer...are you using your Axe live and straight to the board at all? Are you doing the low and high cuts there or is this for recording patches? If you're cutting at the Axe live, are you also getting cut at the board or do you keep that flat?

Question for you if you have a moment to answer...are you using your Axe live and straight to the board at all? Are you doing the low and high cuts there or is this for recording patches? If you're cutting at the Axe live, are you also getting cut at the board or do you keep that flat?

Hey man. Yeah, I use the Axe live going straight into the board. The live cab is just to feel air moving and to get some feedback when I want it, but it's not mic'd or anything. As for the cab block cuts, I have those on so that things feel more "mix ready" in the IEMs and I can send FOH a solid tone without too much low end (but enough for him to throw some into the subs if he wants) and not too much high end (but enough to have a little air in our IEMs). I test my tones out in my studio by making sure that they have clarity and punch at low volumes, but when I crank my monitors up, the tone is forward, but doesn't hurt. FOH may still cut on either the top or bottom end depending on the song, but I like to give him juuuuuust a little extra on either side of the spectrum in case he needs it.

For recording, it depends on the amp model and IR I'm using. I always cut the low end anywhere from 80-120 just to help clean up the mix. I'd say 95% of the time, I don't even touch the high cut. I like that air on the top end, and it actually really helps to widen the stereo image. Most of the time, if there's a weird frequency happening on the upper register, slight changes on the basic eq page or the GEQ page can take care of it, so I normally just leave the cab block high cut alone. I'll tell you….one thing that really helps a lot… is using a looper block, playing your part, and then tweak your tone to what you're hearing coming through your speakers. That way, you'll be tracking more mix-ready tones and your song will come together faster and sound more natural.

Does that help at all?

Thank you again Justin! I did not dare ask your setting for the amp, but you're gone beyond my hopes! :)
I'll try to do justice to your work! ;)
Thank you very much
You are very very welcome! I just hope the settings help get you in the ballpark of where you want to be. :)

Hey man. Yeah, I use the Axe live going straight into the board. The live cab is just to feel air moving and to get some feedback when I want it, but it's not mic'd or anything. As for the cab block cuts, I have those on so that things feel more "mix ready" in the IEMs and I can send FOH a solid tone without too much low end (but enough for him to throw some into the subs if he wants) and not too much high end (but enough to have a little air in our IEMs). I test my tones out in my studio by making sure that they have clarity and punch at low volumes, but when I crank my monitors up, the tone is forward, but doesn't hurt. FOH may still cut on either the top or bottom end depending on the song, but I like to give him juuuuuust a little extra on either side of the spectrum in case he needs it.

For recording, it depends on the amp model and IR I'm using. I always cut the low end anywhere from 80-120 just to help clean up the mix. I'd say 95% of the time, I don't even touch the high cut. I like that air on the top end, and it actually really helps to widen the stereo image. Most of the time, if there's a weird frequency happening on the upper register, slight changes on the basic eq page or the GEQ page can take care of it, so I normally just leave the cab block high cut alone. I'll tell you….one thing that really helps a lot… is using a looper block, playing your part, and then tweak your tone to what you're hearing coming through your speakers. That way, you'll be tracking more mix-ready tones and your song will come together faster and sound more natural.

Does that help at all?

Much appreciated. I tried the 57/121 combo in a bit closer with no dephase and a motor drive at 2...and the cuts at 90 and 12000. I like it. What I don't know is what is getting applied to my channel on our Presonus board. I think it's a preset. So, I'll need to see how that goes. Right now I'm taking my monitor from the board vs. a separate run that I control.

Back
Top Bottom