OwnHammer - Vox AC30, Mesa 412, Mesa 212 - The Justin York Collection Volume 1

Hey Justin, here's a video... Back in 2009 when I recorded/mixed that song I had to use lot of post processing to make the guitars bigger and have them fitting in, now with the Axe and your cabs, without any post-processing, it sounds much better :

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...fremen-quantum-1-0-presets-2.html#post1253777

That's awesome, man! It's so cool for me to hear these IRs in action, and I'm thrilled that you're loving the results you're getting with them. Seriously man, it means a lot to me.

IR & Cab Lab n00b here. This is my first OH purchase. I also bought Cab Lab 3 to create the UltraRes files. I'm at the download page, other than the "OH-Justin-York-Collection-1_Fractal.zip" file, do I need to download any of the "Artist/OH-Justin-York-Collection-1_Wav-96-Stereo.zip" files to create an UltraRes IR? I can't wait to try this out, the demo clips sound amazing.

And, you can batch convert the entire folder (Fractal > Justin York Collection 1).

Cab-Lab lets you convert all the files in that directory and creates folders for the Axe FX II, IR (for mixing in Cab-Lab), XL, and XLPlus with all the files in the same folder format as the downloaded version. It makes working with the OH packs much, much easier.

I'm really digging these IR's. Really well done. I've been using some of the 4x12 IR's with the Uber amp model, and believe me when I say, it melts faces long before you get to "melt faces". They sound great with the IIc+ and Mark IV as well. I'm guessing the 2x12 having less low end might sit better in a mix, but they all seem really well balanced.

I'm really digging these IR's. Really well done. I've been using some of the 4x12 IR's with the Uber amp model, and believe me when I say, it melts faces long before you get to "melt faces". They sound great with the IIc+ and Mark IV as well. I'm guessing the 2x12 having less low end might sit better in a mix, but they all seem really well balanced.

Yeah, it's the first time I like playing with the Mesa's - before that and I bought all the Mesa ir's I was never happy and kept playing with the Marshalls but now they sound great with everything :eagerness:

Well "Volume - Melt Faces" was a little long for the title. :)

Justin... have you actually looked at the length of some of Kevin's file names ??... I beg to differ. "Volume-Melt Faces" is well within the laws of average regarding the number of characters in Kev's file names. :lol

Justin... have you actually looked at the length of some of Kevin's file names ??... I beg to differ. "Volume-Melt Faces" is well within the laws of average regarding the number of characters in Kev's file names. :lol

Hahaha!!! Maybe the next one will have a JY-Melt Faces IR. I mean, that just makes sense, right?

I always found the VOX AC30 a bit scary (real amp early 70's), especially the top boost model, it may be a characteristic of class A amps but it's very raw, highlights your mistakes, ideal for punk I would think

Last edited:
I'm really liking how balanced these ir's are! Although this crappy riff doesn't show off the full range across the strings, the low end is incredibly well focused whilst still being deep, and the highs just cut through perfectly without being fizzy and harsh!

There is no EQ or any other plugins on the guitars at all in the clip.

This is the Mesa 2x12 R with the 121 and sm57 B3 (I think)

My favorite of the bunch is the Vox 2x12. I'm using the Left Speaker w/ SM57 in the D4 position and dephase at 3.5 for live/FRFR use. This pairs great with the AC 20 Treble at about 4ish on the gain (depending on guitar). I leave TMB at 5 as that amp has just volume and cut. Cutting to taste. Just a fabulous sound playing in the room in a loud rehearsal last night. Right amount of sizzle and cut for live play.

FWIW, I've also settled on the SM57 IRs in position 7 for the most recent batch of OH cabs and using the same dephase settings. Previously I had been using the R121 based mixes but now I'm using the SM57 IRs by themselves and then using dephase. I find it to be less woofy on the bass and the dephase seems to smooth out the SM57 like a R121 mix IR does.

Last edited:
Purchased these a couple nights ago. Really great IRs. I must say. Soon as I seen that there was a Mesa 212 in there I had to get them! :) Great cabinet! I have been using your Mesa 412 SM7-LIVE IR of your captured live micing and it sound really nice with my Friedman HBE patch. I will be using it at tonight's gig. Again, great job and keep up the great work! :encouragement:

Purchased these a couple nights ago. Really great IRs. I must say. Soon as I seen that there was a Mesa 212 in there I had to get them! :) Great cabinet! I have been using your Mesa 412 SM7-LIVE IR of your captured live micing and it sound really nice with my Friedman HBE patch. I will be using it at tonight's gig. Again, great job and keep up the great work! :encouragement:

I can't tell you how much I loved reading this. I really couldn't be happier with how these cabinets turned out, and it's so cool to hear how people are liking them and using them for stage and studio. I really do love that SM7-LIVE IR as well. It's such a testament to how good Cliff's modeling is, because I dial the amp models like I would in the real world, and they sound "right."

I actually just finished a two-day Film/TV writer's camp and the other writers were blown away at how good the Axe-Fx sounded with these IRs. I used the Vox on everything and even threw in some Recto 1 goodness through the 4x12 on one of the tracks. It's so inspiring to play with authentic sounding tones.

The Vox-IR´s of this Pack are the absolut Highlight for me - absolut direkt on every String. With the AC 30 and a TS808 you´ve got all you Need - so many sounds only with the volumepoti at the guitar. Like it most with the R A2 421 - R121 - but haven´t tried all yet.

But - aren´t there Rawmixes ? Only MPT-Mixes?

The Vox-IR´s of this Pack are the absolut Highlight for me - absolut direkt on every String. With the AC 30 and a TS808 you´ve got all you Need - so many sounds only with the volumepoti at the guitar. Like it most with the R A2 421 - R121 - but haven´t tried all yet.

But - aren´t there Rawmixes ? Only MPT-Mixes?

I'm so glad you're loving these! Actually, all of the mixes in the JYC are Raw Mixes.

I'm so glad you're loving these! Actually, all of the mixes in the JYC are Raw Mixes.

Ups - I´ve downloaded the 48000kz mono - Folder and there´s only a MPT-Folder.

What´s better for convert with cablab - 200 or 500ms?

200ms. . . but even better than that is to use the files in the "Fractal" folder / download. These are set to the correct length (200ms), correct phase and their names have been truncated so they will display properly on the AxeFX.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom