Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

Personally, I find them "lively" (even bright) in comparison to the stock cabs that I might normally have used.

What are you comparing them to?

What are you monitoring through?

Terry.

Hi!

I'm mainly comparing them to everything else Ownhammer has done (all the way back to the original V1 IRs). My favourite is the beta Bogner 4x12 V30, and those IRs are alot brighter than these new ones. But to be fair, those are EQ:d.

I'm monitoring through my Adam A7Xs.

These are the first IR's I've tried outside of the ones that were added in firmware updates etc and I have to say I'm really loving them. Went with the modern set of speakers since I'm going for modern rock/punk/metal tones. Instant satisfaction on the first chord I played and that was with the first 'mix' cab I tried! $19 (which is just under £13 at the minute) is an absolute steal, cheers Ownhammer!

Scott - any more "recipes" you can share ? I am completely addicted to your Friedman suggestions :)

Name the amp, I'll tell you what I use. I don't use every amp in the Axe-FX, but I've set up a lot of them for myself or other people. If I don't have a suggestion, then I'm honestly going to tell you I don't know. Then you can do the work and suggest one to me! :D

With these Own Hammer IR's my process is this: try the Median version of any given speaker, then mix speakers using *just* those two median versions. Then try alternate versions. I find almost universally (through nothing more esoteric than good old trial and error) is that the Studio Modern and Vintage Live are extremely complimentary to each other. So the secret formula isn't really that complicated or secret - I use the median to find what speakers are complimentary to each other; then try the different type of IR's within those speakers and have had almost universal success mixing the Modern Studio/Vintage Live T1 versions together of different speakers depending on what I wanted to get from the speaker cab.

With these Own Hammer IR's my process is this: try the Median version of any given speaker, then mix speakers using *just* those two median versions. Then try alternate versions. I find almost universally (through nothing more esoteric than good old trial and error) is that the Studio Modern and Vintage Live are extremely complimentary to each other. So the secret formula isn't really that complicated or secret - I use the median to find what speakers are complimentary to each other; then try the different type of IR's within those speakers and have had almost universal success mixing the Modern Studio/Vintage Live T1 versions together of different speakers depending on what I wanted to get from the speaker cab.
Thanks for sharing this, Scott. I'm using your approach and getting some great sounds, even mixing (say) a Modern/Live V30 cab with a factory OH V30. Also, I agree with trb - the Live versions sound great for lower volume playing. Still undecided between the T1 and T2 versions, and need to play through these at volume in a band context to make my mind up.

Man, for the recording stuff I've been doing, T2 takes the friggin' cake. I can see how T1 would be more useful for a live situation though. T2 just has a lot more body in combination with my guitar and helps the guitars sit back in the mix instead of sounding too forward (this I found with the T1 - a little too much mids emphasis maybe?).

I'll direct this at Scott and anyone else feel free to chime in, but which pack first for modern country/country/southern rock....i really want to try these out now but until next week probably only need to spring for one. (two birthdays and a trip to htown for the party for my boys took most of my extra cash for the week, lol)

jlynnb1- I would lean towards the VIntage set for those genres, but either set will provide you with some useful IRs. Kevin (OwnHammer) suggested something like clean/mid gain leanings for the VIntage set and mid gain/high gain for the Monder set, on average. I like V30's though, so that pushed me to get both sets.

YMMV, etc. Get both.. ;)

These are fantastic!! I love them so much and am glad I purchased them. Please support Kevin's efforts and get them, you'll be glad you did!

If anyone would like, name the amp type and I'll share my mix 'formula' for that sort of tone. (*Note I also use a lot of Fractal Mix cabs with the OH Mix cabs for cleaner tones).

Panned center in a stereo cab block:

Morgan AC-20: Alnico Silver T1 Studio Modern -3db/Alnico Blue T1 Live-Vintage 0db
Friedman BE/HBE: H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern -3db/M-PR-55 T1 Live-Vintage 0db
Bogner XTC Red/Blue: H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern -3dbdb/V30-EN T1 Live Vintage 0db

Bit of a newb question but, if am running Output 1 from left only, out to FOH, and am running a stereo cab block, should I pan both hard left as apposed to center?

I'll direct this at Scott and anyone else feel free to chime in, but which pack first for modern country/country/southern rock....i really want to try these out now but until next week probably only need to spring for one. (two birthdays and a trip to htown for the party for my boys took most of my extra cash for the week, lol)

Either/or. IMHO, in your case I would start with the "vintage" bundle. Once you get it and play some, you will be buying the other bundle anyway. ;)

Bit of a newb question but, if am running Output 1 from left only, out to FOH, and am running a stereo cab block, should I pan both hard left as apposed to center?

You could do that. Or you could use a mixer block. Or you could rearrange your routing akin to what Yek does.

Thanks for the quick response!

Your recommendation for the Friedmen Stereo cab combo is right on the money! Sounds fantastic. I changed my main Friedmen gigging patch from the 412 SLM H75 to your suggestion and wow... What a difference. I will be using it tomorrow night at a gig. Again, my setup for that is using Output 1 left to FOH. Could you be so kind as to elaborate on what the benefits of using the mixer block would be as apposed to just panning it hard left? I will have a look at Yek's patches as well to see what's going on there.

Thanks for the quick response!

Your recommendation for the Friedmen Stereo cab combo is right on the money! Sounds fantastic. I changed my main Friedmen gigging patch from the 412 SLM H75 to your suggestion and wow... What a difference. I will be using it tomorrow night at a gig. Again, my setup for that is using Output 1 left to FOH. Could you be so kind as to elaborate on what the benefits of using the mixer block would be as apposed to just panning it hard left? I will have a look at Yek's patches as well to see what's going on there.

No real advantage to using the mixer block other than it makes it easy to mix in different parallel effects all at once if you route your signal that way. Yek runs his cab block last, he divides his output to FOH and his onstage cab at the same time the way it appears you do. He's really experienced and intelligent and a pretty nice bloke to boot. Just do a search and you'll find his mega thread(s). Great guy, great resource here on the Fractal Forum.

Have fun live; it sounds great when I run my rig here. Just fun!

I'm trying to purchase the ownhammers now. The site is the slowest I have ever seen, like 5 min to change pages.

took 20 min to place order, then got a 500 internal server error.

He should get a better web store service

Last edited:
I'm trying to purchase the ownhammers now. The site is the slowest I have ever seen, like 5 min to change pages.

took 20 min to place order, then got a 500 internal server error.

He should get a better web store service

Never experienced anything like that on his site.

Same problem here - site is taking 5 minutes plus to load a page. Was going to place order but I'm scared download will be equally screwed up. Guess I'll wait till later - disappointing - was going to do full V11 upgrade and work on new presets this long weekend - guess I'll have to find something to do outside in 103 deg heat - WHEEEE!

Back
Top Bottom