Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Kevin from Own Hammer just released the first two MIX collection bundles on his (thankfully) revamped website. Studio Mix Libraries : OwnHammer.com - Store

You get 15 speakers per bundle. The first two bundles of MIX IR's are all from a 1970's Checkerboard Marshall 412. His plan is to do the same speakers (all 30 of them) in different cabinets as he goes. How much? How about $19 a bundle. That is an outstanding (!) value of the highest order.

If you've envied some of the professionally done stuff from people and want that expertise, that level of gear - stuff like Pre-Rola Celestions (!) - all professionally done and ready to drop in your Axe-FX (any generation(!)) or other modeler that uses Cab IR's... I cannot recommend these IR's highly enough.

I've been beta testing these for a long time over their development with Kevin; the entire team of testers is really happy with these. I'm VERY happy.

If you use cabinet IR's because you run direct-to-FOH/FRFR and especially if you have an Axe-FX Standard/Ultra or II I cannot recommend these IR's highly enough.

He's worked with top end producers and engineers to supplement and develop the techniques he has already worked with over the years. These are raw IR's in terms of no EQ; they are done with the proper mic's, the proper room, the proper mic preamps and the mic'ing techniques - the MOST important part - is fully professional in application.

Mics
• CND 70 (based on Microtech Gefell UMT70S)
• DYN 57 (based on Shure SM57)
• DYN 421 (based on Sennheiser MD421)
• RBN 121 (based on Royer R121)
prod_412gtrmarcbmix.jpg

Conversion: Prism Orpheus
Microphone Amplification: BAE 1073mp

Vintage Speakers
• 417-H (based on 1977 Altec 417-8H)
• ALN-SLV (based on 1969 Celestion Alnico Silver)
• D-120 (based on 70's JBL D120F)
• EV-S (based on 80's Electro Voice EVM-12S)
• FN-42 (based on 1977 Fane 122142)
• G65-OR (1982 Celestion G12-65)
• H-BB-55 (based on 1977 Celestion G12H)
• H-PR-55 (based on 1969 Celestion G12H)
• J12-CN (based on 1964 Jensen C12N)
• J12-PQ (based on 1959 Jensen P12Q)
• J12-PR (based on 1961 Jensen P12R)
• L-BB (based on 1978 Celestion G12L)
• M-BB-55 (based on 1977 Celestion G12M)
• M-PR-55 (based on 1971 Celestion G12M)
• T75-SS (based on 90's Celestion G12T-75)

Modern Speakers
• ALN-BLU (based on Celestion Alnico Blue)
• CL-80 (based on Celestion Classic Lead 80)
• EV-L (based on Electro Voice EVM-12L Classic)
• G65-RI (based on Celestion G12-65)
• H-RI-55 (based on Celestion Heritage G12H)
• H-SB-75 (based on Scumback H75)
• J12-BB (based on Jensen Alnico Blackbird)
• J12-PN (based on Jensen P12N)
• K-100 (based on Celestion G12K-100)
• M-CB-75 (based on Celestion G12M-65)
• M-RI-75 (based on Celestion Heritage G12M)
• M-SB-75 (based on Scumback M75)
• T75-RI (based on Celestion G12T-75)
• V30-CH (based on Chinese Celestion Vintage 30)
• V30-EN (based on English Celestion Vintage 30)

He breaks the mix collections into SS/T1/T2 which denote the power amp choice used to create the IR. Then you have Modern and Vintage techniques and mic choice/mixes. Then you have Live and Studio versions. You also get each individual mic over a range. Total of 450 IR's per speaker.

That sounds overwhelming; but the key here is really that he's done the work for you. Choose the Speaker you want to try. Then decide Studio or Live. Then decide Modern or Vintage. Try the three flavors - SS/T1/T2. Done.

Want to dive deeper and truly create your own thing without going insane 'falling into the rabbit hole' trying to mix your own IR's? (*Which you fully can do with the mic captures if that's your game). What I like to do (and I tried a billion different mixes FWIW, I'm OCD about this stuff) is use the T1-Studio Modern and T1-Live Vintage of any given speaker in each user cab slot in a stereo cab in the Axe-FX II. I then pan them center. Generally I stay 50/50, but depending on the speaker/amp, might roll the volume off one or the other till it works for me. I found that system still simple enough, but adds TREMENDOUS flexibility and a unique signature to each speaker - even if you use the same speaker IR's for different amps, mixing them like that inside the Axe-FX (in the II you have 100 user slots) is the business.

I'll be posting clips next week (Kevin got this done before I was expecting him to) because I truly feel this is **EXTREMELY** important to Axe-FX users, Software users and anyone else that uses speaker IR's.

In addition to the two collections Fractal Audio has already put out now and these Own Hammer Speaker IR's, the next generation of speaker IR's are what really - and I cannot stress this enough - take your tones into places only mega bucks professionals have been able to go. Professionally mic'd up. Professional mixed blends of different mics - ZERO phase issues.

I'm so excited about it finally being out I felt compelled to post this. RUN and get these. If I get behind something it is because I truly believe in it and use it.

So, I've been asked,
"...how do these compare to Fractal's speaker packs for live use (assuming you have experience with the Fractal packs)?

These are essential complimentary IR's - the Fractal Mix IR's and these new Mix IR's are - IMHO - the biggest advancement to match any other for guys that run direct-to-FOH/FRFR.

I want to shout it from the rooftops; I've been working with this sort of stuff for nearly a year through beta testing for both Fractal and Own Hammer. It's was exceptionally frustrating to not be able to share these things.

This is the final and MASSIVELY important link. Both the professionally done Fractal stuff and the professionally done Own Hammer stuff compliement each other - and for less than $20 per bundle? This is insane value. Some of these speakers cost $400+ alone. This will take your good tones and make them magnificent. Image dialing an amp perfectly and then having the perfect vintage or a stellar modern speaker and speaker cab professionally and precisely mic'd up and - because you are in the modeling paradigm - it's locked up and good to go at every gig, every time you turn on the box.

This is the final step to realizing what the technology can do.

In other words, it's that good and I want to tell the world - it's freaking killer. Now I can; and it's been a long time coming.

How would you describe the difference between the live mixes & the studio mixes?

The live vs. studio stuff is different mic techniques; it is proprietary and I am bound by a NDA; but lacking the details doesn't matter: I love mixing them together, the Vintage Live -3db and Modern Studio 0db (both panned center) for V30 Celestions (heavier stuff) and Vintage Live 0db and Studio Modern -3db for more mid-gain and cleaner stuff as a starting point. (I use the "T1" flavor almost exclusively FWIW).

THAT is more like what I was hoping for ! $19 for ALL those speakers sounds like a killer deal... I REALLY liked a couple of the BETA V30 Vintage for rhythm sounds !

Scott, how many are there of each speaker ( roughly ) ? more than the Beta's ?

THAT is more like what I was hoping for ! $19 for ALL those speakers sounds like a killer deal... I REALLY liked a couple of the BETA V30 Vintage for rhythm sounds !

Scott, how many are there of each speaker ( roughly ) ? more than the Beta's ?

It's in the OP - 450 IR's total per speaker bundle. (Don't panic though!) Read the OP and above. I'll break down a simpler method than my own crazy way: You find the proper speaker for a given amp. The wiki offers what speakers the amps use. Stick to the Mixes to start (I do for almost every single cab I've created for instance).

Choose that speaker, then start with the "Median" mixes by themselves as a "High Resolution" mono cab, no mic modeling. (*The mics are 'baked in' already in the IR). Try the SS/T1/T2 flavors of the Median mix. Whichever works is your speaker.

You can go further and try the Vintage/Modern and Live/Studio but one thing at a time; stick to the Median mixes till you get your footing.

Last edited:
Holy Shishkabob ! I think I'l stick with the mixe I liked from the Beta versions... replace them with the new ones and create a few mix recipes...

Just wanted to jump in with a quick correction:

30 IR's per speaker, 15 speakers per collection, so 450 IR's per library/collection. Combine the two, 900 IR's per cabinet amidst 30 speakers. The breakdown is at the bottom of each of the product pages:

412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Modern Speaker Collection

412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Vintage Speaker Collection

Additional information in the PDF Manuals, also linked at the bottom of each of the product pages.

:)

Bogner 2x12 (open back Shiva), Mesa 4x12, Bogner 4x12, Thiele 1x12, Mills 4x12, and Stone Age 1x12 are in my immediate queue, though not necessarily in that exact order. I also have other Krank, Marshall, SLM, etc cabs but they're not as high on the priority list. Same speakers will be put in all of them, but each different cab will have potentially and probably varying mics, mic placements, and mic preamp - whatever is most fitting to the cabinet and types of speakers, amps, and tones most commonly associated with them. These are incredibly time consuming, so I'd say it will take 1-2 months for development each. I've been at this first library for 6 weeks of 7 days a week, 10-18 hours a day straight with only 2 days off the entire time, and this one still isn't fully done yet (I'm still working on making the Nebula files which this time around is an INSANE amount of work). There were kinks to work out, things had to be scrapped and started over, etc, so there was a lot of time lost and spent in a testing mode that will be less of a factor in future libraries.

Completely understandable with 450 in each cab... that's pretty insane... Hope you get a few days off. Thanks for all the effort !

Funny your listings in the Vintage list... my favorite cab that I always mic'd has Fane's in the top and V30 ( British ) in the bottom... an older 70's cab... very cool to see that you have them listed...

These IRs are killer indeed!

The two libraries contain speaker IRs which are not present in Fractal's Producer Packs.
Such as the T75, GK100, Fane etc. Plus more variations of the V30 etc.

Great review Scott! Made me want to go get them... so I did!

Just purchased these using my credit from the jump start campaign. Let me say that Kevin has made that part of the process extremely easy!

Looking forward to digging into to these!

Yep... they sound great. Bought both packs this morning and found many useful tones in the mixes with the SS_MEDIAN configuration. Other mixes were good also, but this one generally sat best with me and made it easy to test individual speakers without getting overwhelmed with options.

Just purchased these using my credit from the jump start campaign. Let me say that Kevin has made that part of the process extremely easy!

+1 on all counts.

on top of the mixes of the four mics for each speaker, you get the four individual mics in different positions as well or is it "only" the mixes ?

Same here

Back
Top Bottom