Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

Wanted to post this up so everybody knows what's going on with the site, which has been infinitely frustrating for me lately...

Firstly, I'm on shared hosting. A private server for what I do and my traffic would cost too much or be too time consuming to maintain. Everything was fine until a few months ago when my hosting company (HostGator) moved my account to 'new hardware'. Then about 3 weeks ago, they had a massive data center outage where my site is held. Ever since then, every Friday from about 2 to 7 PM EST (roughly), anything that has to hit the SQL database (in this case the entire transactional framework i.e. ownhammer.com/store/) either crawls or times out. There is obviously some kind of weekly scheduled maintenance that goes on at that time, however I'm not sure at this time what exactly it is and why it impacts site navigation to the extent that it does. The last two weeks I thought it was just a part of the recovery process and expected it would stop, but the consistency has become tiresome. I'm opening a ticket with them to find out what the deal is, because it's to the point that it is impacting my business on various levels.

I do very much apologize for any inconvenience, hopefully you won't hold it against me. :)

*** Update ***
As of 5:45 PM EST everything is back to normal, I'll continue to look into why this keeps happening with my hosting company, as well as see if there is anything I can do on my end.

Last edited:
Kevin emailed me back about slow site. The slow spot is in the store, everything else moves ok. He told me to try in a couple hours.

Got to sit down and play for a little bit with no objectives or agenda (which I have to admit was quite nice!) tonight, thought I'd relay a fun finding.

One of the things I like to do (and I've mentioned it in another thread last week) with the black backs, which are my personal favorites for the Marshall thing, is to blend the G12L ("L-BB") with the G12M ("M-BB-55") or the G12H ("H-BB-55") where the L is -6 dB from the other speaker. I tried Scott's Live-Vintage/Studio-Modern with this and loved it with a mid-gain JCM 800. Not sure what this will sound like for everybody else (or how the dB values translate in the FAS cab block compared to parallel sends I do in the DAW), but tonight I'm loving:

..L-BB..Live-Vintage @ -9 dB

- with either -

..H-BB-55..Studio-Modern @ -3 dB

-or-

..M-BB-55..Studio-Modern @ -3 dB

Just has a lot of everything going on here, figured I'd pass it along! :)

Hey Kevin, Are you mixing with aomDSP?

Hey Kevin, Are you mixing with aomDSP?

Nope - in the DAW via parallel sends. For quick use I typically use the .wav files in a Voxengo loader (best sounding of the ones I shot out a few years ago). I don't personally use these files outside of a studio/man cave context, but I'm friends with guys who's ears and methods I trust implicitly that take them on all manner of stage. :)

I love mixing them together, the Vintage Live -3db and Modern Studio 0db (both panned center) for V30 Celestions (heavier stuff) and Vintage Live 0db and Studio Modern -3db for more mid-gain and cleaner stuff as a starting point. (I use the "T1" flavor almost exclusively FWIW).
Apologies in advance if this has been covered somewhere in the depths of this 11 page thread...

Scott, I'm curious. Presumably you are going to FOH in mono via Out 1 (I think so, based on what I've seen you post elsewhere), so why pan the two cabs center? What is the benefit compared to the factory default panning of +50%/-50% (I think I'm correct with these numbers)? Thanks!

This is a msg for OwnHammer!!!
For those like me that buyed the previos cabs production... your site is still confusing!!!
I WANT buy your new modern/vintage collections for the AXEFXII
BUT I won't buy again what I just buyed!!!!
Your IR's are great... but your site is the worst site in the web man!!!
what is new?... what is old? what is ready to buy? what is just a future upgrade of previous products? what versions of cabs are ready and what not jet?!?
I think all this riff-raff is damaging your business!!!
I'm ready to buy!
Are you ready to sell?

This is a msg for OwnHammer!!!
For those like me that buyed the previos cabs production... your site is still confusing!!!
I WANT buy your new modern/vintage collections for the AXEFXII
BUT I won't buy again what I just buyed!!!!
Your IR's are great... but your site is the worst site in the web man!!!
what is new?... what is old? what is ready to buy? what is just a future upgrade of previous products? what versions of cabs are ready and what not jet?!?
I think all this riff-raff is damaging your business!!!
I'm ready to buy!
Are you ready to sell?

seriously?? some people....

Apologies in advance if this has been covered somewhere in the depths of this 11 page thread...

Scott, I'm curious. Presumably you are going to FOH in mono via Out 1 (I think so, based on what I've seen you post elsewhere), so why pan the two cabs center? What is the benefit compared to the factory default panning of +50%/-50% (I think I'm correct with these numbers)? Thanks!

if you are running mono you should pan center to get the full effect of both cabs....no reason to pan for stereo if you aren't running stereo....

I am using the stereo cab block not as a stereo block, but by changing the panning, a mono summing block. That allows me to use two different IR's and treat them as one cab. I use the level controls of each IR in that block to balance the levels in a way that I think sounds/feels best. It allows me flexibility to create unique cabs that I like to use.

Since I typically only use one output, Left or Right, to FOH, if I used a panned cab, then I'd only get primarily the cab IR that happens to be panned to that specific side if I split the panning in the +50/-50 manner. I'm not shooting for a stereo spread from my cab block; I just want a good sounding cab in my signal chain.

Just purchased and dl'd the Vintage series....in about 2mins total I might add.

Can't wait to get home and test them out!

Back
Top Bottom