On the brink of giving up.

I'm just tossing this out there because nobody mentioned it yet... but isn't that first clean tone an acoustic guitar? That might be part of the issue with your clean tone not working out.

I'm just tossing this out there because nobody mentioned it yet... but isn't that first clean tone an acoustic guitar? That might be part of the issue with your clean tone not working out.
Are you talking about the intro of "On the backs of angels"? According to Petrucci, those were six guitars: 2x2 electric guitars panned left/right, decent phaser on the right side; 2x 12-strings panned left/right.

Im still having trouble with PT10 not picking up signal from the Axe 2. It'll let me arm the track as if it had it's proper input setup but the meter doesn't show any signal getting through. I checked my I/o settings and I can see any problems still. Any PT users out there?

Not familiar with PT but a general DAW thing to check..is the Axe 2 set as your Input device?

As for the sound, I got a pretty good Petrucci sound by dialing in based off of his Mark V video using the USA Lead 2 (the new one)...the EQ frequencies in the Axe don't line up exactly with the Mark V eq, but you can get close and then tweak by ear. Honestly, I'd avoid the advanced parameters, you should be able to get pretty close with the basic amp settings and maybe a boost into the front...

Honestly, I found this video pretty helpful in terms of zeroing in on what frequencies to go after when dialing in high gain stuff...

John Petrucci -- Mark V -- Settings and Tone Tips (Part 2) - YouTube

tried to load the patch, but axe edit didn't like it

i did look through the parameters and some stuff seems a bit off

you have bias set to 0.484. mesas usually run cold, so this should be more like 0.300

you have sag set to 6.17, which is way too high. this should be around 2

you have master volume set to 6.29. this should be about 3.5

you have power amp high cut at 3810Hz

and some other weird stuff going on too.

if i were you i would reset the amp, so all these go back to defaults

here's a heavy MKII patch that sounds great to me. i haven't touched the advanced params at all...except input trim, which is essential for the boogie sims, and the bias

i've no idea if this is close to what you're looking for, but it shows you can get a good sound without necessarily messing about too much

comparing this to petrucci's sound, i think dropping the mid in the peq slightly might be needed to get closer, but this isn't meant to be a copy

if you don't hear anything like this when you play through the patch, then something else is messing up your sound somewhere...

please excuse the sloppy playing...i'm an ambient guitarist...ok? :)

I got the axe to work with PT. Dont know what I did but it works now. Here's the result of that preset you posted (I think im playing the riff wrong but that's not important right now)

Axe 2 Test by Sole Paradigm on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hear the difference? it's like my version lacks power. No UMPH. This is what leads me to believe that my guitar is the weak link here.

I got the axe to work with PT. Dont know what I did but it works now. Here's the result of that preset you posted (I think im playing the riff wrong but that's not important right now)

Axe 2 Test by Sole Paradigm on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hear the difference? it's like my version lacks power. No UMPH. This is what leads me to believe that my guitar is the weak link here.

You have another guitar to try? Maybe borrow one to see?

Also, since most of the other guys see clipping and you are not hitting the red, maybe your pickups are either weak or too far from the strings. Not sure if they are actives but maybe it needs new batteries.

Now double-track and put in a bass track, if you've got a bass guitar - see how it sounds.

Axe 2 Test BASS by Sole Paradigm on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

meh. maybe its my mixing. But it seems like it's still lacking.

it does sound brighter and cleaner than what ive made before.

EDIT: BammBamm, they aren't actives. And John Petrucci has the same exact pickups. My GUESS is that they aren't wired correctly. I had somebody do it and didnt think twice about it. Its something i cant help but consider. Because apparently for almost everyone else it sounds rich and full and well rounded. For me it lacks. And I refuse to think that the axe 2 doesnt work for me. I dont like that way of thinking. It works for everyone else, it'll work for me.

Also, since most of the other guys see clipping and you are not hitting the red, maybe your pickups are either weak or too far from the strings. Not sure if they are actives but maybe it needs new batteries.
DiMarzio are all passive. What about strings? How old are they?

Your Mark V preset test on your soundcloud sounds pretty good...I might just back off the Master volume a bit to clean/tighten things up...

How far are your pickups from the strings fretted at last fret? cobalts should be brite and strong,what guage? could be wiring or pots! sounds to me like the problem is more than likely in your guitar! sounds weak and distant like the pickups are too far from strings compared to simeons sample!

I just tried Simeon's preset and it really doesn't sound much like your clip here. I'm much closer to Simeon's, though a bit darker due to my pickups/guitar.

Your signal sounds to be quite weak, which RDH covered above.

Raised the pickups cause they were half way up. now theyre 3/4 up. Not a hole lot of change but there is more definition.

Not the change i was looking for tho. Maybe i should take this thing in.

Raised the pickups cause they were half way up. now theyre 3/4 up. Not a hole lot of change but there is more definition.

Not the change i was looking for tho. Maybe i should take this thing in.
They should be 3/32 in from pole to string with string fetted at last fret!

I put my pickups about 3-5mm from my strings.

Your clip does sound a little anemic and "squished". I'll try and pull up your patch tonight and take a look.

I never said I wanted the sound of my spider iv. But my axe is going through the line input on channel 1. Mono.

Also last I checked firewire was a great connection to have. Better than usb.

You said that's what you were using, that's why I asked. Do you use the channel iserts as a line out or do they bypass the sound card part? FW vs USB is an on going debate. What I meant was the interface "in" the mixer, not so much firewire itself.
Does the mixer have the channel outs on the back-which bypas all the eq and routing> That's what I asked.

If there is circuitry there is likely color. Also more clipping possibilities. Secondly, Mackie's are NOT considered clean and generally considered harsh in the pro audio community. I started with them and used them plenty over the last 20 years. I never came across one I'd consider clean. Even the inserts that bypass the EQ and preamp. I simply disagree with you here. I'd bypass the crap outta that thing. Especially when it's unnecessary.

I'll stop after this, don't want to derail the OP's request foir help-I said-I recorded BOTH ways, with the mixer and without the mixer. Maybe a dog could hear a difference but I couldn't. Just sayin......Yes, his mixer may be PART of it......just the absolutes I hear all the time just are , well, too absolute.

Back
Top Bottom