On the brink of giving up.

I really wasn't trying to be a dick, I promise! :)

I just to try to keep it simple and avoid anything that MIGHT cause issues.

Me too! Glad the op got so much closer to what he wanted and is on a better path.

This forum is so helpful-It's. It's amazing.

I am a lot closer than I was. Thank you all!

Next is lead and bass tones. Lead should be easier now that I know more. Bass might be a challenge cause I get a rattling sort of sound that distorts the bass in a way I don't want it to. I don't get that problem with my Fender Rumble 150. If I have any problems ill know where to look. :) again, thank you all! I hope this thread will teach others who have a similar predicament.

a lot of guys here when they show off thier tones. They add the effects onto the recording like dream theater do..so you might be hearing 3 guitar tracks in one.. panned either way one of them compressed /eq /reverb /delay / etc etc to create the full sound.. vai, stariani, etc they all do it

Also, if you did go and buy a mesa to chase after that tone.. chances are you still wont get what you want.. just keep at it

here are my tm's of otboa

Hi I put these in the skeleton of the OP's but leave off filters etc. any body like em?

yeah, you'll never get a single guitar track to sound like what you hear on a recording. and if you hear a guitar track on a recording solo'd out of context, it usually sounds nothing like what you'd imagine.

I know all about guitar layering. But I think what i need will only require 2 rhythm tracks. If I so need I will attempt 4. But at least now I have a better understanding of how to use the axe-fx.

I know all about guitar layering. But I think what i need will only require 2 rhythm tracks. If I so need I will attempt 4. But at least now I have a better understanding of how to use the axe-fx.
IMO, 4 tracks are usually not necessary unless you use different layers of clean-sounds with different effects each.

IMO, 4 tracks are usually not necessary unless you use different layers of clean-sounds with different effects each.

Agreed. As for distorted rhythm tracks (such as DT's On the Backs of Angels) I only hear two rhythm tracks, one on each side. And Petrucci shreds in the middle of his rhythms at times and that's hard to get right on even twice.

no no no.. he only plays it once.. (the lead) THEN they layer that same track.... and thats exactly what they do

metal onlu trying to help mate...... they also use delay and a dark reverb plate with a short tail to fatten up the sound

Hi I put these in the skeleton of the OP's but leave off filters etc. any body like em?

What'da throw in a TM block into the patch I posted?
a couple of them 3 and 4 (I think) sound great with the TM turned on , but I only got to try them at super low volume, the daughter isi n bed.
I'll try them up loud tomorrow.

What'da throw in a TM block into the patch I posted?
a couple of them 3 and 4 (I think) sound great with the TM turned on , but I only got to try them at super low volume, the daughter isi n bed.
I'll try them up loud tomorrow.

NOt sure whose patch thought op's? but yep I threw a TM into someones skeleton as I said. yes turn on the TM, turn off the cab, I havent tried em loud myself, but been havin a blast! I even turn on and off the filters for fun, cant decide which I like best some a bit ballsier some may sit better in a mix etc etc

ps I TM the youtube of the guy comparing this to his real mesa. I TM'd his TM hahahaha, especially since he wouldnt upload a patch!

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to try those presets yet. But I will when I get home.

I'm still trying to decide which tone I like best with what I've learned. The one thing I'm sure I don't want is that staticy sound that hovers around 4k or so. I tried to Eq it out but I lose presence when I do. I figure I gotta find the right IR for that?

Haven't had a chance to try those presets yet. But I will when I get home.

I'm still trying to decide which tone I like best with what I've learned. The one thing I'm sure I don't want is that staticy sound that hovers around 4k or so. I tried to Eq it out but I lose presence when I do. I figure I gotta find the right IR for that?

Q as close to 0 as it goes (does it go all the way? I can't remember right now) will give you a notch filter that can home in on 1 very specific frequency, have you tried eqing it out that way?

Q as close to 0 as it goes (does it go all the way? I can't remember right now) will give you a notch filter that can home in on 1 very specific frequency...
It's the other way around. The higher the Q, the narrower the frequency range.

Back
Top Bottom