On the brink of giving up.

Usually when things like this appear there's only one thing that can be the reason. And I'm sad to say I mean it's the player himself. Ears and playing style are things that no amp tweaking can cure.

I hated JPs new album tone in the full band mix and don't like it here either. I don't suggest you match his tone here since it's definitely not his best.

For what it's worth I love Petrucci's other tones a lot. For that tone I suggest you use OwnHammer Free Beta Bogner IR's or GuitarHack's impulses. Those sound just like JP. Maybe a bit more bite in the OwnHammer.

Well the goal was to take the best that that tone had to offer then brighten it up a bit and put my own touch on it. I'll look into Ownhammer when I get home.

I should also mention I'm using this for recording an album. Not playing live at the moment.

I know how to play my guitar. That's out of the question.

try a freeware program (I've seen N-Track studio since i was 15- and i think Audacity would work) and use USB

The first 50 or so presets should sound great out of the box. They do so to me at least. What sort of tone are you looking for?
Can you share a little sound sample with us so we know what you have and possibly what you're aiming for?

Did you try and eliminate the mixer and go straight into AxeII and plug some headphones into the AxeII headphone jack? Just to see if your tones are there? If you are able to tweak your tones with the AxeII by itself then diagnose the tones issue with your mixer/monitor setup etc.
the AxeII by itself with some stock presets only just to hear the differences....then build a preset and add on the mixer later once you figure out where your issue is. (Master volume, amp block, cab blocks etc.)

Is there a tone match block in that patch?
if there isn't then there is a specific Angel Cab IR that goes with it. I have an "Angel Rythym" patch on my machine and it's paired with a specific Cab IR and it sounds great.
Pm me and let me know if there isn't a tone Match block in that patch shoot me your email and I'll send the Ir over to you.

The first 50 or so presets should sound great out of the box. They do so to me at least. What sort of tone are you looking for?
Can you share a little sound sample with us so we know what you have and possibly what you're aiming for?

The tone at the top of this thread is what I'm aiming for.

I have plugged phones straight into the axe 2 itself but not extensively. I probably felt there was no difference at the time but I can try that again when I get home.

The Angel Rhythm preset is completely homemade with a tone match block. I guess whatever u have that could go.with it is worth a try tho it may not be an answer. Pm it to me or post it here so we can all follow a long. Thanks

Last edited:
I would say that with a 3% mix on delay that you are running your time based effects in series. I personally like running them in parallel with mix at 100% and using the level to mix in how much affect....that way the effects aren't coloring your raw tone. Obviously some effects are better in series but I have found that I like the time based ones in parallel. Just my two cents.

Edit: I also set the bypass state to mute fx out...that way there is no change in gain when you bypass the pedal. With the above mentioned to my ears things like delay and chorus etc are more musical and transparent and don't muddy up your tone.

I would say that with a 3% mix on delay that you are running your time based effects in series. I personally like running them in parallel with mix at 100% and using the level to mix in how much affect....that way the effects aren't coloring your raw tone. Obviously some effects are better in series but I have found that I like the time based ones in parallel. Just my two cents.

Edit: I also set the bypass state to mute fx out...that way there is no change in gain when you bypass the pedal. With the above mentioned to my ears things like delay and chorus etc are more musical and transparent and don't muddy up your tone.

Is his a tactic to fatten things up? That seems like it would do that.

Hey admin, that's strange cause I got no clipping on my end.

So your saying the Line 6 Spider IV got you the sound you want? .
Also, are you going into the mixer using XLR's? If ypou are you are definitely going thru the mic preamps-which is real bad. I have a mackie 1202 VLZ3-same as yours more or less without the firewire crap. My axe sounds amazing and many of the presets do also. The monitors matter also.
Mine are not the best but Mackie HR624kmII's are OK and sound great for me.

If you have PT10 then you can use the Axe as its own interface just via USB and thats it

then you have no need for the other interfaces when recording guitar- (different story if you want mics/etc) but- I would bet the preamps in what you have are downgrading what you're putting into them.

So your saying the Line 6 Spider IV got you the sound you want? That says a lot right there.
Also, are you going into the mixer using XLR's? If ypou are you are definitely going thru the mic preamps. I have a mackie 1202 VLZ3-same as yours without the firewire crap. My axe sounds amazing and many of the presets do also. The monitors matter also.
Mine are not the best but Mackie HR624kmII's are OK and sound great for me.

I never said I wanted the sound of my spider iv. But my axe is going through the line input on channel 1. Mono.

Also last I checked firewire was a great connection to have. Better than usb.

Is his a tactic to fatten things up? That seems like it would do that.

Hey admin, that's strange cause I got no clipping on my end.

Not sure but I have never really cared for running delay etc in series. To me the effects have more "effect" when you bleed into the original signal how much of them you want to hear. I always build my patches with just a volume, amp and cab block to get the desired amount of warmth and chime before I add any effects.

If you have PT10 then you can use the Axe as its own interface just via USB and thats it

then you have no need for the other interfaces when recording guitar- (different story if you want mics/etc) but- I would bet the preamps in what you have are downgrading what you're putting into them.

That is interesting. I didn't think I could do that. I'll try it later tonight after work.

I never said I wanted the sound of my spider iv. But my axe is going through the line input on channel 1. Mono.

Also last I checked firewire was a great connection to have. Better than usb.

There is no sound difference between USB and FireWire. Zero.

I also think its your mackie. I'd go axe USB out. (Forgive me if you tried that already, I may have missed where you said as much)

What is your definition and damping set at?

Have you tweaked the cabs stock response much?

Back
Top Bottom